Off the bike supplements/vitamins etc.

What is everyone using on a day to day basis to make sure the body has what it needs ?

Have been feeling rather drained and i suspect I probably need something to help the body cope. Magnesium suplements seem to talk to the symptoms I'm having (lethargic, trouble sleeping, restless legs).

But before I go and buy whatever product has the best marketing, would love to hear what everyone else recommends

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been using the Biogen multivitamin for a while, helps for my wife's joints. Not every day, but when her fingers start getting sore.
I've also been taking some of the Enduren Cramp stuff, before or after hard training sessions depending on how I feel. It has magnesium, potassium and iron, so it (or something similar) might help for your symptoms - I'm not sure how its price compares as I just add it to my order to get free shipping.

32 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

What is everyone using on a day to day basis to make sure the body has what it needs ?

Have been feeling rather drained and i suspect I probably need something to help the body cope. Magnesium suplements seem to talk to the symptoms I'm having (lethargic, trouble sleeping, restless legs).

But before I go and buy whatever product has the best marketing, would love to hear what everyone else recommends

Just a basic multivitamin and a separate magnesium supplement. I should be better about a protein shake after training, but I'm not.

58 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

How is your eating on and off the bike going? My life has been totally turned around by visiting a dietitian. Just better volume and timing of food especially relative to training and training load. Eating more but lost weight and gained a lot on the bike. 

check iron levels iff you are constantly drained.

I start my day with Alkaline powder and in winter a vit D tablet. just to kelp boost the immune system. 

whatever you take should be seen as a SUPPLEMENT ie main source of whatever your body needs, need to come from a good diet. also don't underestimate listening to your body, if you are tired then rest.

So my list is.

Fexo antihistamine

vid D supp in winter

alkaline powder. 

sleep support ( in the agricultural sector so stress is always present

Thanks for the input so far.

I have no doubt my diet is far from ideal, part of the reason I can never be rid of my spare tyre, hence the reason I'm looking at supplements. Ideally I should change my diet, but... but .... but... 

I've been using Slowmag, Ashwagandha root extract and Zinc+Vit D supplement. Together with Creatine daily. Works wonders for me so far.

3 hours ago, dave303e said:

How is your eating on and off the bike going? My life has been totally turned around by visiting a dietitian. Just better volume and timing of food especially relative to training and training load. Eating more but lost weight and gained a lot on the bike. 

+1 for this.
Nutrient density FTW.

Then look at your sleep, it should consume about a third of our life, yet gets much less attention than one third. Sleep starts with what you do 2-3 hours before falling asleep, eg. no eating or watching TV/phones in this time, especially the final hour. Cutting out TV has done a lot, but the phone still remains a problem.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

+1 for this.
Nutrient density FTW.

Then look at your sleep, it should consume about a third of our life, yet gets much less attention than one third. Sleep starts with what you do 2-3 hours before falling asleep, eg. no eating or watching TV/phones in this time, especially the final hour. Cutting out TV has done a lot, but the phone still remains a problem.

Sleep is something that eludes me often. But I did find when I tried a magnesium supplement last year that it helped my sleep.

Anyway, I went ahead and bought a course of Slowmag. Let see if it helps.

Sleep is actually also an interesting one. You spend 5-9 hours a night in your bed, yet a lot of people don't want to spend money on a good duvet, good fresh mattress, pillows, linen and other things like blackout curtains and bedroom insulation to make sleeping comfortable.

We have a 4 month old in the house who is teething, 3 months out from the biggest race of my life. I can see how the lack of good sleep hit my training hard already. 

6 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

What are you currently eating during the day and or night?

what time do you get to bed and how long after your last meal ?

stress levels?

23 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

What are you currently eating during the day and or night?

varies all the time

24 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

what time do you get to bed and how long after your last meal ?

we're early birds, generally in bed by 9, so around 3.5 hours after last meal.

25 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

stress levels?

through the roof. this is a high stress job

7 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I second the dietician recommendation. Healthy diet beats whatever supplement you’re gonna buy. 

Wrt sleep, I’ve noticed that if I get up early for a 5-6am cycle, then my eyes tend to close much earlier at night. Whereas if I don’t get up early to exercise, then I tend to stay up watching nonsense on YouTube till far too late and don’t get the required sleep I need.

Healthy eating and sleeping is key for me.

18 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

varies all the time

we're early birds, generally in bed by 9, so around 3.5 hours after last meal.

through the roof. this is a high stress job

Ok there's two things to address first.

More consistent with your diet and try to get the stress levels down. Without details its impossible to advise but perhaps worth having a chat with your GP and a dietician first.

Supplements are mostly filler and won't provide the nutrients you need in the right proportions. These should be a last resort

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Ok there's two things to address first.

More consistent with your diet and try to get the stress levels down. Without details its impossible to advise but perhaps worth having a chat with your GP and a dietician first.

Supplements are mostly filler and won't provide the nutrients you need in the right proportions. These should be a last resort

only way to get stress levels down is to change jobs. I've been trying to do that for a long time.

Diet, yeah, I know it needs work.