Tailgate bike pad scratching tailgate

StevieG

So i've just recently upgraded my cabbie, and now have to be extremely pedantic about protecting the tailgate. My last bakkie had some major scratches from the tailgate pad, because dust would get behind it, and then scratch the paintwork. Taking it on and off is a PIA, so i'd prefer to leave it on. Have any of you got any experience with this issue, and what did you do to alleviate it? I've seen someone put a massive vinyl sticker over the back, but I imagine they had to get it specifically made for their vehicle.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Carrying the bike on my tow hitch is a no go, since the frame is massive, and requires a bit of mcgyvering to get it to fit on my rack, which is also a pain if i'm just going for a short ride.

flip the front wheel 180 degrees and put the bike on the back of the bakkie with no need for a tailgate protector. problem solved. my pleasure.

9 minutes ago, StevieG said:

So i've just recently upgraded my cabbie, and now have to be extremely pedantic about protecting the tailgate. My last bakkie had some major scratches from the tailgate pad, because dust would get behind it, and then scratch the paintwork. Taking it on and off is a PIA, so i'd prefer to leave it on. Have any of you got any experience with this issue, and what did you do to alleviate it? I've seen someone put a massive vinyl sticker over the back, but I imagine they had to get it specifically made for their vehicle.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Carrying the bike on my tow hitch is a no go, since the frame is massive, and requires a bit of mcgyvering to get it to fit on my rack, which is also a pain if i'm just going for a short ride.

Get hold of Pieter Rossow in Paarl to build you a DH/Enduro bike upright rack?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cry3Pc1I5nQ/?ref=srmma1jpt_miv

12 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

flip the front wheel 180 degrees and put the bike on the back of the bakkie with no need for a tailgate protector. problem solved. my pleasure.

Will give it a try, but often have to take my kids bikes too, so will only work if I go out on my own.

11 minutes ago, StevieG said:

That looks like an interesting solution, will see what the cost is to get one built up

He is a super rad guy.

We are related through the wife's side and like all relations, don't see enough of each other. 

If you do go that route, go and check out his workshop and tools etc..... If you are a tool/bike/engineering nerd you will pitch a tent in your pants

The tailgate pad is the thing that does the least damage to my tailgate. I reckon between the lumber yard, chamberlains and the co-op, the loading guys have a competition to see who can wreck a tailgate the best. Unfortunately I don't think a farm laborer can get a shovel or a pick axe into a bakkie without removing paint.

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

Unfortunately I don't think a farm laborer can get a shovel or a pick axe into a bakkie without removing paint.

This is one of life's unsolved mysteries. Coming from a farm I can attest to the truth of this statement.

Unrelated, or sort-of related…but both my mtb frames (from different makes) one steel and the other alloy, have fine print in the manual that states tailgate straddling voids the warranty😅 just thought id put that out there.

16 hours ago, ajnkzn said:

Just wrap the entire tailgate panel with VPS. 

Possibly the most cost effective route. Did it to my bike, so makes sense to do it to the car too.

I used to put one of those grey PEP blankets between the tailgate pad and the tailgate. Bit of a mission getting it cut to size and getting all 3 bits to fit nicely together but it seemed to work.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Been using one for years, most I've had is some scuffing on the tailgate which I easily polished out, Surprised yours is actually scratched.