[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

City Cycling  Athletic Club

Event Name: Velddrif 222 Velddrif
When: 27/08/2023
Where: Velddrif, Western Cape
Category: Road

Not just another cycling event

We can't compare the V222V to the European 1 Day classics yet nor is it a seeding event for any funride but it is Two hundred & Twenty Two kilometres of hardcore uninterrupted tar. This is one event that every cyclist will want to have on their palmares.

The circular route from Velddrif passes through Piketberg before swinging north-west past Redelinguys and Elands Bay and then south for last 70 flat and fast kilometres back to Velddrif

It’s a challenging 222km

The racing will be a paced handicap with the slower batches starting first and faster participants starting with a time gap handicap based on each starting group's estimated average speed over 222..

AND to spice things up, we are incorporating a club/team competition to the race. Clubs and Teams can start together but they will start in the batch of the fastest seeded rider(s), so it’s important to have team members who are of similar strengths. Teams may consist of up to 8 members with the accumulated time of the first 6 riders across the line to determine the team's position overall. Ensure you have indicated your club/team during the registration process.

The event will have 3 competitions. Fastest Team, Line honours to the first person across the finish line and of course race honours to the rider with the fastest elapsed time overall! So plenty to race for.

Who will bite the bokkom first.

MTB's and Gravel bikes welcome

Go to Event Page.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/21/2023 at 5:44 PM, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

We can't compare the V222V to the European 1 Day classics yet nor is it a seeding event for any funride but it is Two hundred & Twenty Two kilometres of hardcore uninterrupted tar. This is one event that every cyclist will want to have on their palmares.

The circular route from Velddrif passes through Piketberg before swinging north-west past Redelinguys and Elands Bay and then south for last 70 flat and fast kilometres back to Velddrif

It’s a challenging 222km

The racing will be a paced handicap with the slower batches starting first and faster participants starting with a time gap handicap based on each starting group's estimated average speed over 222..

AND to spice things up, we are incorporating a club/team competition to the race. Clubs and Teams can start together but they will start in the batch of the fastest seeded rider(s), so it’s important to have team members who are of similar strengths. Teams may consist of up to 8 members with the accumulated time of the first 6 riders across the line to determine the team's position overall. Ensure you have indicated your club/team during the registration process.

The event will have 3 competitions. Fastest Team, Line honours to the first person across the finish line and of course race honours to the rider with the fastest elapsed time overall! So plenty to race for.

Go to Event Page.

Signed up for this again. Hoping the refreshment stations will have water this time? Otherwise I will be reduced to wearing a camelbak while on my road bike, something I've been told would permanently damage my roadie creds 

Entered this last year but cant remember why i didn't end up going🧐

At my current fitness levels ill only make it halfway without dying though😅

11 hours ago, MORNE said:

Entered this last year but cant remember why i didn't end up going🧐

At my current fitness levels ill only make it halfway without dying though😅

I'm thinking of doing it again.... It's flat and rolling. You will be fine.

I will definitely take food and drink this time. I bonked harder than Borris Becker in a closet last year after running out of food/fuel at about 120km

12 hours ago, Mamil said:

Signed up for this again. Hoping the refreshment stations will have water this time? Otherwise I will be reduced to wearing a camelbak while on my road bike, something I've been told would permanently damage my roadie creds 

I think the damage was done last year after all your mechanicals/being unable to successfully fix a flat........ 😝 (I recall you had issues, not actually sure I remember correctly what they were)

Sounds interesting, like @MORNE , I probably would bonk at 80km, but I know the area well and should be doable but at what speed🙈. I would def use a camelbak for such a long distance. 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I think the damage was done last year after all your mechanicals/being unable to successfully fix a flat........ 😝 (I recall you had issues, not actually sure I remember correctly what they were)

Double puncture!!!! And this the only time I was in the break from my batch cos there's only one moderate hill

4 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Double puncture!!!! And this the only time I was in the break from my batch cos there's only one moderate hill

I went in the slow batch break. 2 of us out front for 150km.

There were at least 500 deaths between there and the end. 

On 7/21/2023 at 5:44 PM, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

It’s a challenging 222km

Go to Event Page.

Please note that City Cycling Club is not the organizer of the event. I (as the WP Road Commissioner) was asked to load the event on the events page. i am not allowed to create another profile to promote events for WP Cycling. All my answers regarding this event is on behalf of the WP Road Commission. We are being assisted by West Coast Cycling and Berg River Tourism. 

there was lots discussion why the last water point was not erected. 

for this years event , it has been confirmed that the Saamstaan waterpoint (188kms) will be erected and manned , water , energade , mini bars ones will be available.

the same will be available at Redelinghuys (130km)

2 hours ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

the same will be available at Redelinghuys (130km)

Will this feed zone be off-route?
Has a decision been made about mobile supported feeding from road side helpers vs having to stop, and if this will have to also be off-route?

Last year the rules were very restrictive but then not enforced when broken by half the bunch to the detriment off the rule abiders...

3 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Will this feed zone be off-route?
Has a decision been made about mobile supported feeding from road side helpers vs having to stop, and if this will have to also be off-route?

Last year the rules were very restrictive but then not enforced when broken by half the bunch to the detriment off the rule abiders...

i understand and agree - we did consult with the officials regarding feeding for this event. it is unfair to allow teams to feed from team cars as individual riders don't have that luxury. so we insist no feeding from team cars. We don't have the manpower to have a separate 'side of the road' feeding zone where riders are fed by 'back up' as well as a dedicated waterpoint where participants can stop and refuel. to have both in the same location will be chaos hence we and the officials agree that all participants have to stop to refuel at the 'official waterpoints'. our resources are spread thin on the day as are the officials. but i will take up this issue with them. thanks for the heads up.

Racing rules are one thing but as a "putting the curve on the bell curve" average rider had I not had @lechatnoirand my S.O. meeting me at both points last year I would have not had water or food at all. 

Both are keen to drive around the countryside again this year acting as soigneurs while I play pogacar vs vingegaard with the other mamils.... Is this not going to be allowed? @City Cycling Athletic Club

9 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Racing rules are one thing but as a "putting the curve on the bell curve" average rider had I not had @lechatnoirand my S.O. meeting me at both points last year I would have not had water or food at all. 

Both are keen to drive around the countryside again this year acting as soigneurs while I play pogacar vs vingegaard with the other mamils.... Is this not going to be allowed? @City Cycling Athletic Club

perhaps they're trying to eliminate sticky bottles and that ilk?

32 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I died.... I threw a bag of peanuts, 2 gels and an expired energy bar in my pockets expecting to get some stuff along the way.... I got a banana and some water at 130 ish km but nothing after that. 

I landed up stopping at the cafe 15km from the finish to buy a coke, a pie and a bar one.

As someone with very few road bike races under my belt, I was not sure what I expected, but realised it was definitely not something one could do easily without support. 

My S.O. has spent WAY too much time waiting for me to get home from stupid races in dumb places, so she is disinterested. I asked her tonight if she wanted to come to Langebaan for the weekend and she replied 'no thank you. Driving around with a 4 year old to give you food and juice in a 'race' you are going to suck at is not my idea of a weekend away'.... I'd hate for her to tell me how she really feels.....

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I died.... I threw a bag of peanuts, 2 gels and an expired energy bar in my pockets expecting to get some stuff along the way.... I got a banana and some water at 130 ish km but nothing after that. 

I landed up stopping at the cafe 15km from the finish to buy a coke, a pie and a bar one.

As someone with very few road bike races under my belt, I was not sure what I expected, but realised it was definitely not something one could do easily without support. 

My S.O. has spent WAY too much time waiting for me to get home from stupid races in dumb places, so she is disinterested. I asked her tonight if she wanted to come to Langebaan for the weekend and she replied 'no thank you. Driving around with a 4 year old to give you food and juice in a 'race' you are going to suck at is not my idea of a weekend away'.... I'd hate for her to tell me how she really feels.....

Mine enjoys coming along to revel in my suffering. She even laughs at me when i fall myself into hospital…then tell the nurses and doctors to not take it too easy because i probably deserved it for doing something stupid in the first place.

Im not sure if she really loves me…but at least i know she thinks im funny right? It’s not much but it’s something 😜