Advice - MTB Carbon Wheelset

Dup08

Hi All

I am in the market for some carbon wheels and my two options are South Industries XC rims or the cSixx XCM 9 series hoops. (For my Epic Evo)

Whichever I choose will be built with my existing Hope Pro 4 hubs.

Please help me to choose? I am leaning toward the South Industries rims as they have lifetime warranty and lifetime 50% crash replacement, and of course I like supporting local. (Any other options which I should consider?)

Also any suggestions on some good wheelbuilders in Gauteng will be appreciated. I have used Nick the Wheelbuilder previously, but unfurtunately he moved to the Gardent route and I would prefere someone local who can have a quicker TAT on the rebuild.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Bob, there’s something about well made local products. 
Shameless plug.. For a well priced option, I’ve got some new Nextie rims listed on the classifieds, they’re really good and at a super price 😉

I went for the Lyne Pulse earlier this year. And  so far I'm happy. Especially for the price. But I have not tried more expensive wheelsets, so I can only compare to alu wheelsets

South Industries is what I have had great experience with, and Anton Bosman from Craft Cycles Sunninghill to build is the best wheel builder around imo.

I have a set of South Industries with Hope Pro 4 hubs and could not be happier with them. I used BSC in Fourways to source and build, all perfectly done.

Kinda curious, I know South is really good, but always thought Csixx was pretty good too? Am I wrong or is South just that good?

6 minutes ago, AkwA said:

Kinda curious, I know South is really good, but always thought Csixx was pretty good too? Am I wrong or is South just that good?

Good question 

13 minutes ago, AkwA said:

Pretty sure it is just people voicing their favourites. 

20 hours ago, Dup08 said:

Hi All

I am in the market for some carbon wheels and my two options are South Industries XC rims or the cSixx XCM 9 series hoops. (For my Epic Evo)

Please help me to choose? I am leaning toward the South Industries rims as they have lifetime warranty and lifetime 50% crash replacement, and of course I like supporting local. (Any other options which I should consider?)

Also any suggestions on some good wheelbuilders in Gauteng will be appreciated. I have used Nick the Wheelbuilder previously, but unfurtunately he moved to the Gardent route and I would prefere someone local who can have a quicker TAT on the rebuild.

Side by Side, they look pretty similar (width, depth, weight, hookless etc).
No price on the South website (unless I am blind).

For me, it would come down to the decals and graphics (South is nicer).
And perhaps the fact that I would slowly collect a whole bunch of CSixx stuff to match the rims 😆.

If you buying south, you can ask for custom graphic colours(if they are still doing them). Also have a look at the weight restrictions. I have a south enduro wheelset for my overweight self and the wheels have held up on dh lines and pretty much anything else.

I cant talk about csixx as I dont know anything about their wheels.

For the Road bike I would Take Carbon Rims and Everything Else.

For the MTB I would Stick with Alloy.

I destroyed a Carbon Handlebar on About it's Fifth Ride. (Due to Accident)

On 8/15/2023 at 12:22 PM, Dup08 said:

Hi All

An extra 2 days for delivery, come on :)

South rims at R8995 per rim, and they're locally made, with lifetime warranty.
cSixx rims are made in Asia like everything else, but price similar to the South.

For everyone's info, here's what a build process looks like:

Day 1: You pay the deposit. I order the parts. You pop your hubs in a PUDO locker.

Day 3: I get the new parts and your hubs and start the build.

Day 5: I pop your wheels in a box, and onto the courier.

Day 7/8: You get your new wheels!

If you choose a GP-based wheelbuilder, I can recommend Michael Maine from Bicycle Supply Chain or Dave Marshall at Spoke and Spanner.

1 hour ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

An extra 2 days for delivery, come on :)

South rims at R8995 per rim, and they're locally made, with lifetime warranty.
cSixx rims are made in Asia like everything else, but price similar to the South.

For everyone's info, here's what a build process looks like:

Day 1: You pay the deposit. I order the parts. You pop your hubs in a PUDO locker.

Day 3: I get the new parts and your hubs and start the build.

Day 5: I pop your wheels in a box, and onto the courier.

Day 7/8: You get your new wheels!

If you choose a GP-based wheelbuilder, I can recommend Michael Maine from Bicycle Supply Chain or Dave Marshall at Spoke and Spanner.

I think your info is incorrect as per Csixx website below. Maybe you pushing for the South products 🤔 

Screenshot_20230816_143741_Chrome.jpg