Flower show by Bicycle

Jeff_B

Does anyone know if there are restrictions on the permissions to cycle in the West Coast National Park during flower season (August/September)?
I am aware that visitors to the park are not allowed to exit their cars to photograph the flowers (or so I've heard) so wasn't sure if there are limits to being allowed to do a cycle in the park.

You are allowed to cycle on the tar roads and mtb routes but not allowed to go into the Postberg area which is only open to public during flower season.

The best flower viewing is in the Postberg Reserve (privately owned, open only two months of the year). You can cycle the usual trail (no idea what it's called, assuming it even has a name) that starts at Langebaan-side gate, up the tar road, turn left/inland just after you crest the first hill then follow the dirt road around and down back to the tar road. Turn left/south when you get to the tar and pedal short distance to trail running off towards lagoon (behind low-slung chain), follow the trail back to where you started. Easy ride, will be some flowers to see and highly likely sightings of Eland, steenbok and if you're lucky the lone bontebok (and maybe red hartebeest).

Repeat if not tired or head south along the tar before the road sweeps around south-end of lagoon for a nice tar stretch towards Postberg Reserve. 

YouTube/Google search Bikamino. You’ll find a route recce we did from Upington/Springbok down to Hondeklip Baai via the Kwagamossie, Spektakel Pass, Namaqualand.  
Should definitely be able to string a ride route or few from there.

4 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

YouTube/Google search Bikamino. You’ll find a route recce we did from Upington/Springbok down to Hondeklip Baai via the Kwagamossie, Spektakel Pass, Namaqualand.  
Should definitely be able to string a ride route or few from there.

Thank you kindly Mr. Dassie

23 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Quick Strava search gives out this.
Would this be the route?

https://www.strava.com/activities/944303019/overview

This one with other little routes:  https://www.strava.com/activities/8982025915/overview

Right area?

Asking for a Vaalie friend.  😁

Nope, this is the Postberg area. The 2 activities are from Postberg residents.

image.png.6d334bdd844a260cfd3dfac77662f2a5.png

You can basically ride anything before the blue line.

About the map above; 'You can basically ride anything': I'm afraid not.

The green lines in the diagram above are, strictly speaking, for hiking only. Seeberg has a new 360-degree hiking trail called the Baker Trail (with the southern section being brand new), but bicycles are not allowed there. Same applies to the trails from Geelbek, but folks do occasionally ride between Geelbek and the Churchhaven area (part or trail not shown on map, no signs calming you can't ... yet). A big part of the peninsula between Geelbek and Preekstoel is privately owned.

The white line (tar) that you see on the map between Langebaan Gate and Tsaarsbank (and/or West Coast [Road] Gate) is perfectly pleasant to ride, even on a MTB. 

An absolute no-go route is (apart from obvious stuff like the beaches etc ... you'd amazed where some cyclists venture and how close they are pushing to get rule-abiding cyclists banned outright) is south along the twee-spoor marked MTB Trails on the map above. The road is closed for a very good reason: there is an Black Harrier pair (endangered species) nesting close to the trail; and any traffic – foot, bicycle etc – disturbs the birds and places the chicks' lives at risk.

Play according to the rules and the trails will remain open to cyclists for many years to come (and bear in mind that the volunteers – who have a loud voice in the rules – consists of riders and hikers who generally see mountain bikers as a nuisance). The park has a brand new manager that has already carved one new hiking trail and will hopefully toss a new MTB route or two our way the the future.

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2023 at 2:47 PM, tinmug said:

Update: just heard that new cycling routes are in the pipeline! 😁🤙

awesome., any further details?

Nothing yet. I heard via the grapevine. Bear in mind the WCNP is under new management and it seems the manager has big plans. Have also heard there may be some routes (walking? Cycling?) sponsored by local businesses. And from what I gather things will move fairly quickly.