Future of SA road cycling

Net800m

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Here’s where it gets unnecessarily complicated.

The annual membership is valid for 12 months from the date of payment, i.e. July to June.

A racing licence is valid from Januworry to December, inline with the UCI regulations. 

Now why does this NOT surprise me .... 🤣🤣

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

That is how I also have it.
But organisers confuse the two terms.  There shouldn't be two terms.  It's stupid IMO.

I did not have "membership" last year.  Entered a local small race, added the "R50 day license" and they seeded me Vets 40+
Wrong.

the organisers confuse them because they don't read what you can do with a csa membership or a domestic racing license. how more clearer can they make it. RTFS as they say in the classics.

7 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Again.........Lotto funds excluded........... how many Vets in TOTAL?  200 per age group? (It is WAY less).
Thus giving you around 800 "full race license monies"  = R 400,000

How many "Members"?
5000?
10 000?
Let's say 5000.  Membership fees income R1.25m

So if you raise the basic fee to R330 and this includes Seeding according to ability (no more Vets) but you get seeded A-Z (or Cat 2-26 like in Europe and USA with Cat1 reserved for professionals) then you get full racing membership that allows you to race everywhere in SA any time.  I can then race my peers at any race and compete in provincials and nationals.

Raising the fee to R350 will make CSA a "profit"
On the income side, you safe on CSA officials for at LEAST 3 Vets bunches that are no more.  No more registration and number collection and crap over two days wasting peoples time.

But that is just a though.......
My 2c

no elite , vets category racing in the Cape - cat 1 , cat 2 or cat 3 based on a combination of ability and age.

12 hours ago, The itch said:

no elite , vets category racing in the Cape - cat 1 , cat 2 or cat 3 based on a combination of ability and age.

You have it lucky then.

Gauteng is then agter die tyd.  Couldn't care less I think

On 8/20/2023 at 8:15 AM, Mamil said:

Cape town roads are mostly in good condition. Plenty of road, gravel and MTB options as we all know. Rode from southern subs to stellnbosch and back from breakfast with my daughter yesterday. Good roads with shoulders most of the way. Only one really dangerous spot where bicycles shouldn't be.

which route did you take?

I only started cycling two years ago. Thus my experience with cycling events is quite limited. At this year’s CTCT where I had a pretty sporting batch. After seeing all the crashes along the way I basically stopped “competing” as we got off the highway. It just felt downright dangerous. I’m quite passionate about getting home safely. 

I understand from the experienced road cyclists it was “safer” in the before times as there were more races and skills could be kept up. Now we have fit people from indoor training / MTB who go compete on the road once or twice a year, myself included. This is a disaster waiting to happen IMO. 

I’ve been following East Side Crits very closely as I like the idea of Crit racing and can see the appeal. In and out at a central venue with little traffic. Also from what I can see he has a dumbo category for people like me to start in. Where one can hone some skills before moving up. I’ll definitely be giving this a try. 

On 8/20/2023 at 6:24 PM, Jewbacca said:

I am fully into trying to get a CX and Crit series going. It also helps massively with race smarts, handling skills and making sure you're in the right wheels, so the kids will benefit hugely.

I cut my teeth in the rain, mud, sleet, cold and slop of winter racing up north and I LOVE it.

Ok, Jewbacca; please PM me your E-mail address, and I will send you the (Tim’s) 10-page manual on CX course and permiter design.

I was involved in the early days of SA Traithlon, (mid-packer at best!), and I know the EXCITEMENT it delivered (hell, we were cutting and re welding our seat posts to get further forward…), and then the early days of windsurfing, and the early days of MTB Stage racing; I do feel CX could bring a lot of EXCITEMENT….

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

Ok, Jewbacca; please PM me your E-mail address, and I will send you the (Tim’s) 10-page manual on CX course and permiter design.

I was involved in the early days of SA Traithlon, (mid-packer at best!), and I know the EXCITEMENT it delivered (hell, we were cutting and re welding our seat posts to get further forward…), and then the early days of windsurfing, and the early days of MTB Stage racing; I do feel CX could bring a lot of EXCITEMENT….

you know about this?

https://steeplecx.co.za/klein-constantia/

16 hours ago, Mamil said:

89% my usual route too (which is your favourite dicey spot, past the market, thus avoiding it via a 'burb?)

15 minutes ago, Zebra said:

No, had no idea?! If you can dig up any more info, would like to see it, thanks!

Maybe COVID killed it, but there were great sponsors, cool venues, different race options etc but it never took off.

Races were not well attended 

I will PM you my email address......

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 2:37 PM, Frosty said:

Here’s where it gets unnecessarily complicated.

The annual membership is valid for 12 months from the date of payment, i.e. July to June.

A racing licence is valid from Januworry to December, inline with the UCI regulations. 

@Frosty THANKS for all your valued input regarding CSA and events.

With the number of events I do through the year .... and the schlep of standing in line with a R50 note at some of the events .... I have made my CSA donation for the next 12 months :thumbup:

For those following this from a distance .... I can confirm:

1. Annual membership (NOT a racing license) is R250

2. Valid for 365 days from the day you pay

3. The registration process do ask what club you belong to.  As a TBMTB member this was not an issue, not sure what happens if you are not a member ....

4.  R25 affiliation fee Cape Metropole

5. Got an email a few minutes later with my CSA ID number .... note to self, keep that handy...

pretty efficient system

And the learning curve starts .... :whistling:

What is this :

As per CSA Rule's for 2023, you will be required to produce your valid CSA Licence or Provincial Affiliation at registration; or you will purchase an Event License.

Will a screen shot on my phone be okay, or what am I expected to have with me at registration ?

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

And the learning curve starts .... :whistling:

What is this :

As per CSA Rule's for 2023, you will be required to produce your valid CSA Licence or Provincial Affiliation at registration; or you will purchase an Event License.

Will a screen shot on my phone be okay, or what am I expected to have with me at registration ?

You put the app on your phone, and just show them the digi-card or whatever.
Had to do it this weekend, when they wanted me to pay a day license despite mine being active until Jan next year.