Bontrager Tyres

CraigCCW

Bontrager tyres are currently on special, are the XR1's and XR2's any good for general MTB Riding in JHB?

7 minutes ago, CraigCCW said:

Bontrager tyres are currently on special, are the XR1's and XR2's any good for general MTB Riding in JHB?

XR1 is almost a semi slick 

XR2 is great for general riding marathon type stuff , if you 're going hardcore on a 120mm bike an XR3 is maybe a better option upfront.

Either way any of those 3 roll very good 

Casings aren't great but not noticeably thinner than the competing maxxis/spez tyres 

11 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

XR1 is almost a semi slick 

XR2 is great for general riding marathon type stuff , if you 're going hardcore on a 120mm bike an XR3 is maybe a better option upfront.

Either way any of those 3 roll very good 

Casings aren't great but not noticeably thinner than the competing maxxis/spez tyres 

Thanks for that info, XR2 seems like the better option for the type of riding I do.

Got an XR2 / XR4 combo. 29'r at 2.6 and a couple of rides in they seem pretty good. The back has  given no issues on a HT. The bigger front is a little bit squirmy when pushing a bit over rocks. It's not loose or slippy just has that feeling I've had from some Minions where if feels like the knobbles hit the rock and stick while the casing moves in a different direction for a split second then they unwrap and catch up. It's bit unnerving at first as you feel like your front wheel is going away from you but I've yet to actually have anything happen at all apart from pretty fast, clean runs. Maybe they grip a bit much!

I generally run XR2 front and rear - my go-to tyre. This past summer I tried XR2 front and XR1 rear and really enjoyed it. 

Edited by Dappere

Any feedack on 2.4 XR4 front and back?  Got a set in my garage. Waiting a while now, want to repalce my Maxxis tyres.

1 hour ago, CraigCCW said:

Where is the sale?

Just now, Super Sywurm said:

Any feedack on 2.4 XR4 front and back?  Got a set in my garage. Waiting a while now, want to repalce my Maxxis tyres.

good for light trail , not great for xc but they'll roll fine. 

I've thought baout putting an xr4 upfront and xr3 for the rear for the pts enduros cause its so tame and rolling speed will probably help 

1 minute ago, Super Sywurm said:

Where is the sale?

ALL Trek DOT stores 

Don't know if retailers are taking part but pretty sure they will 

3 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

good for light trail , not great for xc but they'll roll fine. 

I've thought baout putting an xr4 upfront and xr3 for the rear for the pts enduros cause its so tame and rolling speed will probably help 

I moslty ride XC/XCM.  I got the set very cheap, around R400 per tyre. Excited to try them.

2 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

XR4 - Rolls like velcro on tar, if you ever take them on road - Off-road they are pretty good.

Thanks, I do often ride on tar so would rather go with the XR1 or XR2 for less rolling resistance