Converting my Mountain bike to a Gravel bike

Johannbothma

Is there anyone close close to Benoni  Gauteng who can help me sourse parts and help with the build. I'm looking to convert my Mountain bike to a Gravel bike. 

IMG-20230830-WA0025.jpeg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Johann, I am in Boksburg, I have basically built the same, just put Gavel Tires(Maxxis Rampler) on my MTB and got a Carbon fork from Keenbikes, I kept the straight handle-bars.

PM me is you interested to see the build - weighs in at 10.3kg with pedals.

Building a monster gravel bike seems to be favourable amongst ultra cyclists. Lael Wilcox is one cyclist that comes to mind who rides a similar setup. If adding drop bars, consider shortening the stem to accommodate for the longer top tube.

I would love to see how this build progresses - post pictures! :D 

1 hour ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Hi Johann, I am in Boksburg, I have basically built the same, just put Gavel Tires(Maxxis Rampler) on my MTB and got a Carbon fork from Keenbikes, I kept the straight handle-bars.

Hii can you maybe whatsapp me on 0603890575 with photos tnx

Just now, Mongoose! said:

Ag nee man. Its only a gravel / monster / Frankenstein bike if it has drop bars :ph34r:

I keep it for my weekday training bike - just love the way it rolls.

bar change will cost more money - as will need to change brakes and gears, will need to consider derailleur config etc etc.

I did a full conversion and very happy with mine.

4 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

bar change will cost more money - as will need to change brakes and gears, will need to consider derailleur config etc etc.

I did a full conversion and very happy with mine.

Definitely worth it.  Good quality cable brakes also just work fine for gravel 👌

20230618_071339.jpg

4 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I’d have kept the suspension fork and rather swapped the bars for drop handle bars. This way you can run nice and wide tires and have the benefit of being more aero in position. 

4 hours ago, Dappere said:

Building a monster gravel bike seems to be favourable amongst ultra cyclists. Lael Wilcox is one cyclist that comes to mind who rides a similar setup. If adding drop bars, consider shortening the stem to accommodate for the longer top tube.

I would love to see how this build progresses - post pictures! :D 

Surely you would need to increase your stem length given how upright you normally sit on a Mtb? This way you are a bit more stretched out and more aero. Unless I have it all wrong?

I was contemplating doing it on a 26” HT frame I have, but found buying a used cross bike was simpler, cheaper and easier. Maybe not a thrilling as converting a bike. Good luck if you go ahead, and enjoy .

1 minute ago, Bub Marley said:

I’d have kept the suspension fork and rather swapped the bars for drop handle bars. This way you can run nice and wide tires and have the benefit of being more aero in position. 

Surely you would need to increase your stem length given how upright you normally sit on a Mtb? This way you are a bit more stretched out and more aero. Unless I have it all wrong?

You never want to be “stretched out”, but rather in a comfortable position. 

The drops and hoods would be further forward than the flats, but perhaps slightly narrower, so shortening the stem would bring them back to within reach.

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You never want to be “stretched out”, but rather in a comfortable position. 

The drops and hoods would be further forward than the flats, but perhaps slightly narrower, so shortening the stem would bring them back to within reach.

Yeah I was just comparing it to road position tbh. I suppose with the hoods further forward you’re automatically increasing reach so perhaps not necessary tbh. I suppose or comes down to how you want to be set up? If you have an aggressive road position, and want to replicate this or if you want a more relaxed/endurance position for a gravel bike. 

26 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I was contemplating doing it on a 26” HT frame I have, but found buying a used cross bike was simpler, cheaper and easier. Maybe not a thrilling as converting a bike. Good luck if you go ahead, and enjoy .

Ai ai ai .... 'monstercross' bikes are like single speed bikes ..... you don't BUY one, you BUILD one 😜