Introducing SHIMANO GRX Mechanical 12-Speed Components

News bot

In addition to the new 105 12-Speed groupset, SHIMANO have launched GRX Mechanical 12-Speed components. As our Events Calendar shows, gravel is here to stay. Check out the full press release here: With the introduction of Shimano GRX RX820 12-speed mechanical components, Shimano continues its legacy of innovation as the originator of gravel-specific componentry. Rooted in simplicity, reliability, and adventure, the new 12-speed GRX lineup delivers more gearing options along with unrivaled ergonomics, so riders get the most out of each unpaved adventure, wherever that might be. With a focus on the heart and soul of gravel cycling, Shimano mechanical […]

View full article

I’ve always wanted to convert my hardtail into a gravel bike now I can hopefully just get the GRX shifters paired with my SLX 12 speed setup and some new handlebars. 

I get gravel, I've had a gravel bike since 2016 and I'm just as excited about this new groupset as anyone, but what really makes me sad about the whole gravel hype is the marketing like in this article that pretends that the people in the pics are having a good time when they are so clearly under-biked and would by any measure be better off on a mountain bike on the terrain that is showcased in the pics. Especially as many people depicted in the marketing images seem to be casual cyclists or new to the sport. I cannot imagine a better way to put someone off cycling forever than to put them on a gravel bike on what is obviously MTB terrain.

Not just talking about this article but gravel bike marketing in general. It's especially true in SA where our dirt roads are often cat 3 or 4 gravel and not the manicured smooth surfaces you'll find in the USA or the EU.

9 minutes ago, openmind said:

I get gravel, I've had a gravel bike since 2016 and I'm just as excited about this new groupset as anyone, but what really makes me sad about the whole gravel hype is the marketing like in this article that pretends that the people in the pics are having a good time when they are so clearly under-biked and would by any measure be better off on a mountain bike on the terrain that is showcased in the pics. Especially as many people depicted in the marketing images seem to be casual cyclists or new to the sport. I cannot imagine a better way to put someone off cycling forever than to put them on a gravel bike on what is obviously MTB terrain.

well that's one way to get me to click on the article 😄

The beauty of "gravel" is that it varies from tarred roads to single track where you question whether you should be walking or not. 

4 minutes ago, Jono said:

well that's one way to get me to click on the article 😄

The beauty of "gravel" is that it varies from tarred roads to single track where you question whether you should be walking or not. 

I would argue that the beauty of *cycling* is that "it varies from tarred roads to single track...". It's true that you could technically do all of that with a gravel bike but that does not make it a good idea. 

1 hour ago, openmind said:

yeah I agree, that terrain looks like it needs a full sus 120mm travel bike

Our local constantia trail which the other day was smooth and gravel friendly as anything, is now a few seasons unmaintained and washed out rutted and rocky AF. I cringe seeing a few brave soles still attempt on gravel bikes literally hanging onto bars going snails pace. Man it looks unpleasant.

3 hours ago, openmind said:

I understand what you're trying to convey, and in most cases, I'd also pick my MTB over any other bike. However, over recent times I've rather grown a close bond with my gravel bike - it's the one I choose when I want to rack up bigger kms with the potential for adventure. In my opinion, doing rides like the Cape Cross is perfect for a gravel bike, with its ton of mounting points and designed bags. I also appreciate the multiple hand positions a gravel bike offers over an MTB.

You're right though, you could certainly do all that on an MTB as well. For me, the efficiency not just in the bike itself, but in how it's able to carry bags and attach them with less hassle compared to working around a rear shock, makes the gravel bike ideal.

That said, I wouldn't attempt a true MTB-designed route on my gravel bike. There's certainly a time and place for both!

I ride quite a lot of gravel and have for a few years. I've done some relatively tough bikepacking, done a 200km gravel race, and various other 'gravel' things, all of which I've trained for on pavement, cobbles, gravel and MTB trails near my house.

I've ridden the same training routes and segments on everything from a light gravel setup (38mm Spez Pathfinder Pros on a Fairlight Secan) to a more rugged setup (42mm Spez Rhombus's on a Lauf True Grit) to a frankenstein setup (Rene Herse Fleecer Ridge 55mms on a 100mm travel hardtail) to a more traditional hardtail setup (Good Year Peak 2.4"s on the same hardtail). Some of the routes and segments are infinitely faster and/or more fun on a gravel bike, and some of which are faster and/or more fun on a hardtail. For gravel roads, I'd pick a gravel bike anyday - it will be faster. When things get chunkier, gravel bikes get slower (certainly for me, a not-particularly-skilled rider) and MTBs are more fun.

Tomorrow I'm doing an almost-completely gravel route with a friend who is fitter and faster than me. I'll be on my hardtail with the Rene Herse tyres which are pretty efficient on smooth gravel, and he'll be on a gravel bike. Even if I was as fit as him, I would *** off trying to keep up on everything except the few strategically-planned chunky descents and really steep climbs. It's just reality, but it doesn't make it any less fun. 

On topic.. It's nice to see Shimano finally not quite doing what SRAM did .. 5 years (?) ago. In 5 years time when this is electronic, it might be really awesome (spoken as someone who loves GRX Di2 2x)  

Edited by Cardio Goth

21 hours ago, openmind said:

Completely agree. Gravel bikes are good on gravel roads, mountain bikes are better on single track mountain trials. I really don't know why folks take gravel bikes on rooty single track and then say a mountain bike could be better. It is like doing a Tour de France stage on a MTB and then noting "these mountain bikes suck, a road bike would have been much better"

On 9/1/2023 at 9:52 AM, openmind said:

Must be looking at different images, every single image there is clearly a gravel environment.