Do cyclists have to stick to the speed limit?

The Ouzo

I remember a case in JHB u number of year back, where a cyclist was clocked at 100km/hr going down the hill past the zoo, think the limit was 60km/hr - they arrested the cyclist and impounded his bike, had to appear in front of a judge who imposed the same fine a car would have got.

According to the road traffic act - Yes you have to stick to the speed limit

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

wasnt thinking 120, more like the 40/50/60 speed limits in urban areas or steeper downhills.

In urban , or built up areas and around schools and or old age homes the speed limit applies to every vehicle on the road. So if it’s 30 it applies to bicycles too unless a bike lane is provided. As far as I k know in SA the speed limit for the bike lane is 35km/hr

16 hours ago, Mtree said:

In theory yes, bicycles are supposed to behave like vehicles on SA roads, so that would include obeying the speed limits.

Not completely, that would make wheelies illegal? 

Ahhh the good ol days, Engen Classic.... bunch jumping red lights and setting off the camera. Then top speed run down Sandton drive. I remember someone asking me what I weigh at the bottom of Sandton drive, didn't know if he was just being rude or giving me a compliment on the speed. (not saying it was all that clever) 

19 minutes ago, AkwA said:

they are illegal. As is taking your hands off the bars. and in contradiction to the last one, you have to use hand signals to indicate turning or stopping.

17 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

You Don't have to stick to the Speed Limit.

You don't have to Stop at Stop Streets or Traffic Lights.

You can Ride the Wrong Way down any road.

You can ride on pavements.

You cannot ride on Freeways.

There are plenty strava segments in SA on Freeways

13 hours ago, madmarc said:

I remember a case in JHB u number of year back, where a cyclist was clocked at 100km/hr going down the hill past the zoo, think the limit was 60km/hr - they arrested the cyclist and impounded his bike, had to appear in front of a judge who imposed the same fine a car would have got.

According to the road traffic act - Yes you have to stick to the speed limit

There was also a skateboarder in CT who was in how water for speeding...

28 minutes ago, AkwA said:

I got more fines for wheelies as a lightie than for speeding riding a motorbike to school. 

54 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

they are illegal. As is taking your hands off the bars. and in contradiction to the last one, you have to use hand signals to indicate turning or stopping.

If you know this fact, surely you know the speed limit law. This thread feels slightly trollish 😉

58 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I got more fines for wheelies as a lightie than for speeding riding a motorbike to school. 

back when I was in school the cops would also fine the guys for having loud exhausts.

12 minutes ago, Jono said:

If you know this fact, surely you know the speed limit law. This thread feels slightly trollish 😉

no trolling at all. The post was meant to spark discussion. I honestly did not know the answer.

The no hands rule stood out in my mind after someone once posted the laws regarding cycling on here.

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

There are plenty strava segments in SA on Freeways

There was also a skateboarder in CT who was in how water for speeding...

The skateboarder got off. The video evidence on Youtube was not sufficient for charge. The video could have been altered, I think was the reasoning.

21 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

What does our law say? It probably mentions motorized vehicles from 2 wheels up. I don't think human-powered vehicles are submit to speed limits. But good luck reaching 120kph on the open road. You could perhaps each 60kph in a cocooned recumbent.

https://www.arrivealive.mobi/speed-limits-and-the-law

You can hit 80kmh pretty easy on the hills in Gauteng. Good luck if there's a pothole though.

I don't even understand why one would ask the question ? The only time speed limit applies to us is probably in a 30kph area like a school area, I'd say of course it applies to us especially since our stopping power is much less that the one of a car or motorbike (at least on a road bike).

Even worse, like going down Kloofnek, I often pass cars there, but never set off the speed camera. Feels like going any faster would be a real danger for myself, as there are lots of side streets from which cars could come and cut me off.

I would go for "off course they apply to us and should be followed", although I'm not going to pretend I follow them strictly (or even pay attention to them) when out on the bike

Edited by Jbr