Power meter on MTB?

+ Ryperd +

13 hours ago, Jacques Joubert WC said:

Any thoughts on the Sigeyi power meters?

Have a look on www.sigeyi.co.za.

The are supported locally with 2 year warranty, they are used by two professional MTB teams (PYGA Euro Steel & Insect Science)

They are reliable, lightweight and also gives you duel-sided power measurement.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2c.

The PM is good for keeping track of your TSS. You cannot realistically expect to stay in training zones on a MTB ride with ups and downs, too much variation. 

It's only really worth while if you understand the concept of TSS, particularly if you know how much TSS you must accumulate in a week or a block of 42 days. A PM can also track you fitness, form and fatigue better than a HRM can. 

Training and Racing with a PM by Allen and Coggan is the proverbial bible, try to get hold of a copy if you can.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/18926670#:~:text="Training and Racing with a,readiness%2C and race using power.

For tech stuff I always ask myself a few questions.....

What do I want out of my hobby?

Do I have the right mindset to use it properly?

Is the % difference worth the money?

Will I get bored of it?

In cycling, I like riding bikes. Nay, I love riding bikes. I like being fit enough to enjoy riding bikes with anyone. I am currently getting back there slowly. BUT one thing I don't like is data. I like the idea of data, but I honestly get so bored looking at it.

Same as my running data... I got a fancy tech stuff to track cadence and all sorts and honestly, after 3 weeks I just turned it all off.

The kicker is that I likely won't ever get to a level of competition where such small margins matter. I don't have the discipline to do 2 x interval sessions a week, track running etc 

I also really wanted a range finder for the golf course. The marketing sold it to me hard. The I sat down, asked the above questions and concluded that as an 8.6 handicapper, exact yardage isn't my problem. I am simply not accurate enough consistently to benefit from the tech.

I don't go to a simulator and hit clubs to get accurate yardages, so aiming for the middle of the green for me is still not an exact science!

What I'm getting at, is that if you have a cash to burn, it will likely benefit you IF you have the discipline to use it properly and getting to the front of the field is your aim.

If it's a luxury purchase and you're less inclined to get to the front of the field and just finish comfortably every day with a smile, it isn't at all essential.

Many of the guys commenting here are proper data dorks and racing snakes. They struggle to see how riding could be about anything other than performance 😜

35 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

My 2c.

The PM is good for keeping track of your TSS. You cannot realistically expect to stay in training zones on a MTB ride with ups and downs, too much variation. 

It's only really worth while if you understand the concept of TSS, particularly if you know how much TSS you must accumulate in a week or a block of 42 days. A PM can also track you fitness, form and fatigue better than a HRM can. 

Training and Racing with a PM by Allen and Coggan is the proverbial bible, try to get hold of a copy if you can.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/18926670#:~:text="Training and Racing with a,readiness%2C and race using power.

Well not so much the power meter itself but the software you upload your ride too is key for managing chronic training load . Accumulated training load,  and TSS.

then understanding what that all means and how it should influence your next ride is key. If a rider isn’t interested in that geeky stuff then a coach who is is the go to, otherwise just ride on HR and RPE and be done with it. Using a a PM for training requires geekiness otherwise it’s just a sort of show off tech device that makes the coffee stop conversation a little more intimidating- “Joh that was hard…”

pm guy:” pffft I was only pushing 400W. 
…. what were you doing…?

blank stares and conversation change follows

at the next race pm guy gets his arse handed to him

15 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Well not so much the power meter itself but the software you upload your ride too is key for managing chronic training load . Accumulated training load,  and TSS.

then understanding what that all means and how it should influence your next ride is key. If a rider isn’t interested in that geeky stuff then a coach who is is the go to, otherwise just ride on HR and RPE and be done with it. Using a a PM for training requires geekiness otherwise it’s just a sort of show off tech device that makes the coffee stop conversation a little more intimidating- “Joh that was hard…”

pm guy:” pffft I was only pushing 400W. 
…. what were you doing…?

blank stares and conversation change follows

at the next race pm guy gets his arse handed to him

LOL

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I like riding bikes.

Many of the guys commenting here are proper data dorks and racing snakes. They struggle to see how riding could be about anything other than performance 😜

I also enjoy riding my bike, be it inside, outside, fast, slow, somewhere new every now and then.

Snails also race 🤪
image.jpeg.14eb43b6faf65c0d1c80f6f83f64c23b.jpeg

15 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Power2Max NG eco SRAM

SRM (XXXXpensiiiiiiiiiiveeeeeee)

Xcadey (newer Chinese brand that seems to get some good reviews. Longevity is not something I can or will comment on.

Sigeyi Axo - Powermeter City sells these so I'm guessing that they have tested it extensively as they tend to not sell junk.

These are your best options. I would opt for the Power2max everyday because its backed up by BicyclePower trading who are an upstanding crowd of passionate folk. They can repair aanything on the unit that is repairable. With the others you're pretty much on your own. 

I have not mentioned Quarq because it uses an 8 bolt mount that is only available on very new SRAM Transmission cranks and on some OEM SRAM crank. Most OEM cranks used the 3 bolt mount.

FSA also had a spider based unit which was basically a Power2Max.

I like Powertap hub based meter. Accurate, robust affordable and basically no maintenance

14 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

I like Powertap hub based meter. Accurate, robust affordable and basically no maintenance

Those are long gone now, Look after yours, spares are very hard to come by. 

50 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

The first Mtb hub units weren’t so lekker, they were affected by the brakes giving a true bhp reading. Later units weee bullet  proof. The proprietary rear brake rotor became a problem to source 

if you can still obtain those rotors you may want to stock up 

Edited by DieselnDust

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The first Mtb hun units weren’t so lekker, theybweee affected by the brakes giving a true bhp reading. Later units weee bullet  proof. The proprietary rear brake rotor became a problem to source 

if you can still obtain those rotors you may want to stock up 

Have the roadie hub and still ride rim brakes..did manage to crash one moer toe but no 2 has been bullet proof 

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

For tech stuff I always ask myself a few questions.....

What do I want out of my hobby?

Do I have the right mindset to use it properly?

Is the % difference worth the money?

Will I get bored of it?

In cycling, I like riding bikes. Nay, I love riding bikes. I like being fit enough to enjoy riding bikes with anyone. I am currently getting back there slowly. BUT one thing I don't like is data. I like the idea of data, but I honestly get so bored looking at it.

Same as my running data... I got a fancy tech stuff to track cadence and all sorts and honestly, after 3 weeks I just turned it all off.

The kicker is that I likely won't ever get to a level of competition where such small margins matter. I don't have the discipline to do 2 x interval sessions a week, track running etc 

I also really wanted a range finder for the golf course. The marketing sold it to me hard. The I sat down, asked the above questions and concluded that as an 8.6 handicapper, exact yardage isn't my problem. I am simply not accurate enough consistently to benefit from the tech.

I don't go to a simulator and hit clubs to get accurate yardages, so aiming for the middle of the green for me is still not an exact science!

What I'm getting at, is that if you have a cash to burn, it will likely benefit you IF you have the discipline to use it properly and getting to the front of the field is your aim.

If it's a luxury purchase and you're less inclined to get to the front of the field and just finish comfortably every day with a smile, it isn't at all essential.

Pretty much. I don't care enough about it to warrant it. If I want to be a good rider I ride hard and as often as I can. I don't care about data. If I want to beat you then I will attack until I run out of gas. 

2 hours ago, Lynskey said:

Pretty much. I don't care enough about it to warrant it. If I want to be a good rider I ride hard and as often as I can. I don't care about data. If I want to beat you then I will attack until I run out of gas. 

Ha! I recall we had a fantastic duke it out on the slopes and trails above Bainskloof pass many years ago at gravel travel for the SS win!

The power data from a SS mtb race would be radical to look at if you were into that sort of thing

On 9/14/2023 at 4:26 PM, Jewbacca said:

Ha! I recall we had a fantastic duke it out on the slopes and trails above Bainskloof pass many years ago at gravel travel for the SS win!

The power data from a SS mtb race would be radical to look at if you were into that sort of thing

Yeah. It would be quite interesting. But the weight of that power meter 🤣🤣 slow me down by at least one second. Just kidding. You got me in the last few kilos!! I need a revenge match 🙈

• 5 months later...
On 9/12/2023 at 2:40 PM, + Ryperd + said:

Background:

I used to train for a race/event - that was the motivation. The 2022 Attakwas broke that. 🤪 

I'm no racing snake. In fact, I am overweight and unfit. Made a concerted effort to drop weight from Feb this year, and am down from 113kg to 97kg. Want to drop down to 94-95kg. The last 2+kgs are stubborn! I'm 51 years, 1.88m.

I've fallen back in love to just ride and not "train" because you have to ride a race/event, etc. The idea is to ride as often as possible, but add structure. Thus not just plotting along, but add hills, technical, etc. I have a good idea what to do based on my 2021 Sani2C plan from Absolute Motion. Back then I used an old spinning bike for indoor, later upgraded to a Wahoo Kickr 4. Got used to "knowing" my power output, and it was used to fine tune the plan. Idid not follw the plan... was lazy.

Current:

The last two weeks I managed to get back onto the bike on ave 3 times a week, clocking 200km. Not much, but for me a HUGE improvement. The motivation is BACK!!

Through the years I've noticed what cadence range works for me, where my hear rate should be and to pace my effort.

I've entered for the Sondela 3-day mtb race end November (will be my 3rd one, as I enjoy the weekend with friends and family), then in 2024 the Ride the Karoo (3rd one) and the Sani again. I want to be fit, strong and stable in terms of my weight before end November, carry that through December and be ready for 2024. Normally I only started some base work in December, but the intensity was slow and low. It's December. 🫣

The question: 

A power meter on the bike. Does it add real value, or is it more nice to have stats on the Garmin app and Strava? If it adds real value, can a mere mortal use it or is it better to get a coach?

And last question - which is better? The crank arm type, the pedal type? This is an expensive purchase, I don't want to waste money or buy the wrong item. 

Any good advice will be appreciated.

Hey Ryperd, was following your thread with interest as we are similar height, age and weight. Wondering how your journey is going? Did you go with PM? Have you managed the weight loss etc? 

50 minutes ago, BigDL said:

Hey Ryperd, was following your thread with interest as we are similar height, age and weight. Wondering how your journey is going? Did you go with PM? Have you managed the weight loss etc? 

Hi BigDL

I went with an indoor trainer to ride during the week. I use this for interval training, etc. Following the Sani2c program from Absolute Motion. 

Weight loss … not too successful. Dropped to 97kg from 113 a year ago, but then gained 2kg back. Now it seems I’m stuck at 100kg 😒

Edited by + Ryperd +
Grammer