Absolute Novice to Cycling.... Silverback vs Scott

Redhotneo

Hey Guys

So I have not ridden a bike in over 20 years. Decided to take up riding as a hobby for health reasons, just turned 40.... so you know :(

for my budget I have checked out the Silverback Stride Expert 2022 model. Also seen many reviews on Scott bikes like Aspect 960, etc. How would you compare the Silverback to Scott?

Any further advise on choosing a bike as I will mainly be riding the bike at the beach area in DBN.. Not so much off road trails.

Thanks in advance

Silverback was an SA brand, but they moved to Germany a few years back. They are pretty big and right up with the best of them. 

I have no idea what the specs are on the bikes you are looking at, but it is common knowledge that Silverback offers much more bang for you buck. Rand for Rand, the Silverback will offer better quality parts

Thanks for info. So Cycle lab has the 2022 Silverback Stride Expert large Frame in stock at R15k. I will get them to do a price match against Sportsmans as they have it R13k but have to wait for stock as they will bring from Jhb branch. 

I have watched a few videos on that bike and reviews were great. So for a New rider, I think I will go for the Silverback.

Thanks

May it bring you many happy miles and if the bug bites you as it has all of us, your second bike is already a spark of neurochemistry in your limbic system! (Limbic system ... Emotion)

Edited by Mamil
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest throwing a riser bar on that Stride, opens up the bike to be a lot more fun, capable and comfortable.

I’ll throw a spanner in the works and say that you could get a much better spec for your money if you ask one of the hubber bike builders. Some do it professionally, others do it as a hobby. 

Users on the hub that I’ve dealt with are RobertWhithead and BicycleYardZarras. 

I went new to start and probably won’t go new again because the value exists in second hand (imo). I do love my “old” (first) bike but it’s worth half what I paid for it, if even that, and my “new-to-me” cost less than the first one did and is way better specced and far more reliable. 

You could probably spend 17-20k and get a nicely specced duel suspension for your money. 

(Incidentally I’m sitting here waiting for TCG to deliver my mate’s new Cannondale Scalpel Si HiMod which came in at a little over 20k delivered from the Cape and the spec is awesome (Deore 1x12, Magura fork, Rockshox at the back, Stans rims etc))

Just a thought! 

1 hour ago, RobynE said:

I’ll throw a spanner in the works and say that you could get a much better spec for your money if you ask one of the hubber bike builders. Some do it professionally, others do it as a hobby. 

I went new to start and probably won’t go new again because the value exists in second hand (imo). I do love my “old” (first) bike but it’s worth half what I paid for it, if even that, and my “new-to-me” cost less than the first one did and is way better specced and far more reliable. 

You could probably spend 17-20k and get a nicely specced duel suspension for your money. 

(Incidentally I’m sitting here waiting for TCG to deliver my mate’s new Cannondale Scalpel Si HiMod which came in at a little over 20k delivered from the Cape and the spec is awesome (Deore 1x12, Magura fork, Rockshox at the back, Stans rims etc))

Just a thought! 

I agree, the second hand market can be really good.. doubt I’d buy new again..

9 hours ago, nox1111 said:

I would suggest throwing a riser bar on that Stride, opens up the bike to be a lot more fun, capable and comfortable.

Will look into this. thanks

2 hours ago, RobynE said:

Just a thought! 

Thanks for the info.

As I am totally new to cycling, I wanted to go brand new for a fresh start and confidence booster. As i progress and learn more about bikes, I will definetly check out all avenues before moving forward with a 2nd bike.

Thanks

Second hand .... good IF :

- you buy from the likes of @RobertWhitehead

- You KNOW what to look for ...

SO easy to buy a lemon and then it turns very expensive VERY quickly ....

DONT fall for the "it was serviced recently" .... I have seen a friend buy one of these ...

- Brand new tyres were NOT tubeless ready ...

- New cassette was some no name brand, but looked good and created an impression ... truth was the chain was stretched !!  Chain ring needed to be replaced ...

- This "recently serviced" bike, at a dealer no less, had DRY and worn bearings !!!

I have a Silverback (have owned it for several years now).

My advice: buy a Scott.

Boring details: nothing particularly wrong with my and wife's two Silverbacks except some manufacturing issues (damaged threaded inserts on carbon frame). Quality control issues (rear shock) and reluctance (read refusal) to honour warranty on a few items (shock included, to be fair this is via a bike shop; approaching Silverback directly may have had a different outcome). Silverback was born is SA but they seem to want to put a lot of distance between themselves and SA. Scott is a well-established international brand with direct local representation. That alone makes the choice obvious.

At least a mid-range groups is advisable (Shimano Deore or Sram NX). But this will push the price up little. 

Edited by tinmug