The Munga 2023

JohanDiv

4 minutes ago, hboli4 said:

Certain sections change from year to year, this section is the same as last year but not the year before I think. The changes are mostly due to farms changing hands / farmers changing their minds and denying access resulting in route changes

Looks like he is correcting, but straight through the veldt, will this be a problem of not back tracking?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Looks like he is correcting, but straight through the veldt, will this be a problem of not back tracking?

Might be the tracker acting up - very tall fences on that section.

4 minutes ago, hboli4 said:

Might be the tracker acting up - very tall fences on that section.

Thank you for your insights, hboli4!

30 minutes ago, DJuice said:

From my home town.

Frank has done a few Munga`s, does the route change every year?

I lived in Upington for 5 years and worked with Frank during the years he had cancer. Learned so much from him and a great role model. He was very weak when I left Upington, and I lost contact with him. Always wondered how he was doing.. I was genuinely surprised and so happy to see him lining up few years ago!! Glad he is doing better! 

2 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

At the pace that Drikus is going he is going te reach Doolhof around 12.. almost 2hrs faster than record pace

little snapshot to show Drikus' dominance on the podium, and then the podium over the rest of field.

orange is the top3.

green arrow is the next individual rider, some relay teams in the middle.

image.png.eb42ce311f571055e9fd67a5b9e694f7.png

must say big respect to Willie Smit, he has proper vasbyt still hanging in there. thinus has been riding faster and resting more, so don't think he will have racetrack for a late kick to haul him in - even if he has the legs

Here's an even better example of how Drikus is dominating the rest of the field..

(For some reason Thinus isn't showing at the moment)

MUNGA02.jpg.aaea6b6efcc8f521cec29127f6f96cff.jpg

Edited by JohanDiv

Hang on, Thinus is actually busy making a move! Left it a little too late though..

MUNGA03.jpg.92bb49ac0dab751e2a8945b78b0c5f8b.jpg

PS. I don't really think this is a true reflection as Drikus just finished climbing and Thinus still has that to come. That gap will probably pull back out now.

Edited by JohanDiv

58 minutes ago, SSCC said:

I wrote that drafting does not help much for this specific event because of slow speeds, corrugated roads, extreme fatigue etc. Drafting has multiple variables. Aerobars don't and provide a small but constant benefit, even at slow speeds, for the duration of the event provided the rider uses them. The drag reduction on very high stack aerobars is marginal but the saddle pressure reduction and comfort resting position is substantial. 

I'd second this - I think the benefit of aerobars is more about comfort and an additional riding position than much in the way of aero benefit

17 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

Hang on, Thinus is actually busy making a move! Left it a little too late though..

MUNGA03.jpg.92bb49ac0dab751e2a8945b78b0c5f8b.jpg

PS. I don't really think this is a true reflection as Drikus just finished climbing and Thinus still has that to come. That gap will probably pull back out now.

Think Thinus will slow a bit again with him starting the climb, and likewise think the climb was the gap closing factor. But lekker nonetheless.

image.png.de29b251244bfbb26f71df77b8d95cf4.png

Edited by Roul

2 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Does Dricus really just have 40km left or am I reading something wrong ?

JIP😱

Re Drikus Coetzee - from my very amateur following of his exploits, in my view it seems a matter of time before he re-writes every gps aided distance ride record in this part of the world, its just a case of when he fits the event into his schedule. He is a freak and I mean that in the very nicest way.

No co-incidence that he was the guy soft-pedalling next to Benky when he entered Windhoek this year.

Inspiring stuff.

Did Chris van Zyl scratch??

Edit: NVM, I see his dot is active again..

Edited by JohanDiv