Is SA behind in the Modern Trail Hardtail market?

Drew J

I'm new to the XC vs Trail geometry topic and research so far into what the SA market has to offer for trail HT riders are disappointing.

A few months ago I bought a Silverback Stride Comp in a size small (I'm 173 in height) in hopes to get a more playful trail feel and to get the front wheel up a bit easier. Long story short, the bike isn't what I hoped as most bikes in SA seem to be oriented toward XC riding.

Trail hardtails seem to be a great way to get good bang for buck and has helped narrow down my search for a modern trail bike. Unfortunately, locally there seems to be very little affordable options. I've even upgraded my bike with 140mm dropper and SRAM NX 12 speed but still require something more "poppy".

I desperately need some advice on where to find an affordable modern trail hardtail and any advice would be welcomed...

11 minutes ago, Drew James said:

I'm new to the XC vs Trail geometry topic and research so far into what the SA market has to offer for trail HT riders are disappointing.

A few months ago I bought a Silverback Stride Comp in a size small (I'm 173 in height) in hopes to get a more playful trail feel and to get the front wheel up a bit easier. Long story short, the bike isn't what I hoped as most bikes in SA seem to be oriented toward XC riding.

Trail hardtails seem to be a great way to get good bang for buck and has helped narrow down my search for a modern trail bike. Unfortunately, locally there seems to be very little affordable options. I've even upgraded my bike with 140mm dropper and SRAM NX 12 speed but still require something more "poppy".

I desperately need some advice on where to find an affordable modern trail hardtail and any advice would be welcomed...

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/roscoe/roscoe-7/p/35116/?colorCode=black

Based on what you have described above, I believe this could be a viable option for you.

It's not a competition, SA just has a different market that's all. Intrinsically it is predominately XC and full suss focussed. But there are some good options, Rapide, Commencal are a good start.

I have some up on the hub, the roscoe is a lekka one, rapide is lekka, the old momsen str/stf is amazing, quite a few options

I love a rowdy HT and if it's steel, with some modern geo then even better because they are great fun and a different way of approaching a trail and getting a very different experience. XC, Alu type HT's hold no interest for me as it's best of no worlds. Usually a pretty bumpy, rough ride that I would deffo prefer to be doing on a short travel dual sus. Usually I reckon a 130 / 140mm HT is a pretty sweet spot. 

Unfortunately there is such massive range in the HT market as they really start as the basic of the basic, hunk o' junk bikes through to high end makers like Kingdom. I know that sounds obvious but there are so many bikes out from big manufacturers that are entry level, awful geo and shouldn't even see a gravel path it can get overwhelming. 

The old Silverback Slade and the Banshee Paradox are great Alu HT frames. Issue is in  SA there isn't really that much of a calling / market for manufacturers to bring them in. I don't think they even bring in the 2023 Slade do they? This is the reason I mostly get my frames off PinkBike or Ebay or generally UK shops as there is a wider range and prices are (usually) better than here plus as previous people have said there isn't the culture of those trail HT's here. In the UK there is a long tradition of fun, rowdy HT's and so many manufactures to choose from in Alu, steel, Ti and carbon. 

Keep an eye out on here, you'll be surprised what will pop up. There was a nice Nukeproof for sale, a large Steel Stanton Switch and I've even seen a Kingdom Vendetta kicking about (which I'm still kicking myself I missed). Rapide gets some good shout outs and the Momsens are always popping up but the geo isn't great, any of Dave Mercer's frames are always awesome. 

This is a good price and decent spec. 
https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/677225/silverback-trail-slade

RS rev' fork, dropper, Flow wheels, bit of XT... boom! 

People that make great HT's overseas: 
- Orange P7 
- Commencal Meta HT
- Stanton
- Kingdom
- Shand used to do the shug
- Cotic
- Pole Taival 
- Transition
- On One Scandal, Vandal, Huntsman, Hello Dave, Wrekker, and Big Dog
- Chromag Doctahawk is pretty extreme / Rootdown is less so
- Kona Honzo
- Nordest Bardino
- Ragley Bikee
- Nukeproof 
- Bird 

This list has 65 odd HT's with head angles, seat angles and standout features which is quite a fun place to start as well. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

4 hours ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

🤐 😎

"Please, sir, I want some more."

"Mr Limbkins, I beg your pardon, sir! Oliver Twist has asked for more!"

Edited by justinafrika

Thanks for the great responses, really helps to find what I'm looking for in a market saturated with all kinds of weird and wonderful bikes.

The Roscoe seems like it could be a fun playful bike without breaking the bank.

Would be awesome to see more affordable HT trail options here in SA.

3 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Spill the beans gosh darnit

Whatever this is, I might he interested in a frame only option.

10 hours ago, Drew J said:

"poppy"

You mentioned the word "poppy" earlier.

The weight of a bike might have a lot to do with that. If you are a lightweight then a heavy bike won't feel poppy. 

I'm 67kgs and a large aluminium enduro bike that I bought is like a heavy beast compared to my other carbon bikes.

Each to their own, I guess.

1 hour ago, robbybzgo said:

You mentioned the word "poppy" earlier.

The weight of a bike might have a lot to do with that. If you are a lightweight then a heavy bike won't feel poppy. 

I'm 67kgs and a large aluminium enduro bike that I bought is like a heavy beast compared to my other carbon bikes.

Each to their own, I guess.

I tend to disagree

My ebike is more poppy than my xc bike - suppose it comes down to set up and both bikes designed for two different uses