2023 Trek Roscoe 7 or Silverback Slade Trail?

Drew J

Please help...

I'm in the market for a rowdy trail hardtail and found myself stuck between the 2023 Trek Roscoe 7 and Silverback Slade Trail.

Is the Roscoe worth the extra R5000 for a brand new bike with seemingly less capable components?

Which bike should I get?

@Drew J based on the requirements you listed on the previous thread, the Roscoe, to me at least felt like the best option; its geometry leans towards stability at higher speeds and efficient climbing, which might render it the preferable choice for trail cycling. 

Reach: The Trek Roscoe 7 boasts a longer reach than the Silverback Slade Trail, which may offer a more extended riding position conducive to climbing and maintaining stability at high speeds.

Stack: The Trek also features a higher stack, providing a more upright riding posture which might be more comfortable for prolonged rides.

Top Tube (effective): The effective top tube length on the Trek is marginally longer, affecting the overall fit and reach of the bike.

Head Angle: A more relaxed head angle, as seen on the Silverback, can enhance stability when descending, but the Trek's head angle is quite similar, suggesting it should also perform admirably on downhill sections.

Seat Angle: The Trek's seat angle is steeper, which is preferable for pedalling efficiency and ascending.

Wheelbase: The extended wheelbase of the Trek indicates greater stability, particularly at speed or on downhill courses.

Standover: The Trek's lower standover height might make it more manageable and easier to handle, especially for riders with a shorter inseam.

BB Drop: The lower bottom bracket drop on the Trek reduces the centre of gravity, which can enhance stability.

Fork Rake / Offset and Trail: These aspects influence steering. The Trek's larger trail figure suggests it will be more stable at higher speeds, while the Silverback might be nimbler.

Bike Weight: The Silverback is marginally heavier, which could impact its climbing capability and quickness off the mark.

Ref: https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/silverback-slade-trail-2019-l,trek-roscoe-7-2022-l/

Currently, the Roscoe is on sale - 10k less than retail. Could you provide more clarity on the components on the Slade?

Thanks for some insight on the geo.

Component comparison, Trek vs Silverback:

Fork: RS Recon vs RS Revelation RC

Wheels: Bontrager Line TLR 30 vs Stans Flow S1

These are the main components I'm comparing

1 hour ago, Drew J said:

Thanks for some insight on the geo.

Component comparison, Trek vs Silverback:

Fork: RS Recon vs RS Revelation RC

Wheels: Bontrager Line TLR 30 vs Stans Flow S1

These are the main components I'm comparing

This is a quandary that I believe every cyclist grapples with when purchasing a bicycle. 😅

Should one decide based solely on the fork and wheels, to engage in more vigorous trail riding, then the bicycle equipped with the RockShox Revelation RC, and quite possibly the Stans Flow S1 wheels, may present itself as the superior choice due to its enhanced performance capabilities.

You've referred to a new bicycle when discussing the Trek; I presume, then, that the Slade is pre-owned. It would be prudent to also take into account the wear on the components of the second-hand bicycle, in contrast to the new one, in addition to the extensive warranty that Trek offers.

Is there an opportunity for you to test-ride each model?

16 minutes ago, Dappere said:

This is a quandary that I believe every cyclist grapples with when purchasing a bicycle.

Yeah this is a bit of a predicament.

I could probably test ride the Trek but would be pointless if I can't test ride the Slade, so I won't be be to compare.

I think the Roscoe 7 has decent components for my current skill level but will need a 2nd opinion.

I have a Slade trail frame up for sale on the hub, if you’re a large, I don’t mind building it up for you if you’d be keen on it

15 minutes ago, AkwA said:

I have a Slade trail frame up for sale on the hub, if you’re a large, I don’t mind building it up for you

You mentioned previously that you have a few up for sale but I didn't quite manage to filter through all bikes being advertised on here to find them.

I'm a size medium and will definitely want a complete bike.

I have a relatively simple view on this.

The two bikes are VERY similar. You likely won't be able to tell the difference 

The things you are grappling over are tiny and likely not relevant to your current skill level. 

Both are upgradeable as you advance. Both tick all the boxes currently.

I think you're splitting hairs and would do just as well with either.

Take the plunge, buy one and get shredding

If it's that gold Slade Trail in the classifieds then I'd personally got for that. It's got decent components and very nice fork (don't let everyone tell you a pink or a lyrik are the only RS forks around). The rest of the kit is pretty sorted and you're not going to need to update much for a while. You are saving on the original price but you're still paying less for the Slade esp if you offer R1000 or R1500 less, that will help with the shipping and we all know that the HT market is Niche and that one hasn't move yet. There was a similarly spec'd one on here a few months back I was looking at and that sat around for a month at R9500 I think and I has a haggle and the guy was happy to take about R1000 off the price to make the deal. Drop in an offer it they go for it great, if they don't it's still an okay price and if it doesn't' work out then you've got a back up in the Roscoe. Maybe take some extra money and upgrade the brakes, sell what's on there and it shouldn't cost too much. 

R30K for that Roscoe at original prices is nuts, you also have to ask how much is that to do with the exchange rate as well and to be honest parts of the bike industry are doing it tough at the moment. Also as soon as you've got it it's suddenly worth way less. I'd also say resale angle the slide is a better option as it's better kitted. 

Ride wise I've ridden the previous version Roscoe and that Slade and I liked the Slade more. The frame felt a bit more poppy and comfortable. The Roscoe felt a bit off the mark despite the slightly slacker head angle. Rest of the Geo is almost identical depending if you're comparing the same frame size. Pretty much same in the reach, chainstay lengths etc. Slight difference in ST and HA. Slightly longer wheel base on the trek and BB. 

All that said, I've just swapped out from a super long, slack Hard Tail and a 160mm enduro bike to 2018 Tranny Smuggler. The numbers between those are way different and look positively ancient (67 HA  / 120m rear / 51 offset) but the Tranny was the most fun bike I owned back when they came out and having ridden out a good handful of times I can say it still rips, hammers down and always with a smile on my face. slipped on a -1 degree Headset and might add 10mm on the stem but not necessary. I've sort of given up analysing the numbers death. If it sit's in a decent range and feedback is good then it's a case of - Buy bike, ride bike on what's in front of you, like bike, ride back up and do it again. 

The Slade was sold so unfortunately missed out on that one but at least I'll have a brand new Roscoe now.

For those that don't know yet, the 2023 version's geo was updated with more modern dimensions. Can't wait to get out there and be part of the elite few that ride agro hardtails 👀

21 minutes ago, Drew J said:

The Slade was sold so unfortunately missed out on that one but at least I'll have a brand new Roscoe now.

For those that don't know yet, the 2023 version's geo was updated with more modern dimensions. Can't wait to get out there and be part of the elite few that ride agro hardtails 👀

I got the Roscoe 7 recently as a life simplification move / downgrade from a seldom-used & rapidly depreciating carbon dual sus.

I'm very stoked with it and although already eyeing upgrade options (e.g. fork) if I'm honest with myself it works just great as-is for my current ambitions. I don't think you'll be disappointed. If current pricing on the Trek ZA site is accurate at R20k it's a solid deal IMO.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I got the Roscoe 7 recently as a life simplification move / downgrade from a seldom-used & rapidly depreciating carbon dual sus.

I'm very stoked with it and although already eyeing upgrade options (e.g. fork) if I'm honest with myself it works just great as-is for my current ambitions. I don't think you'll be disappointed. If current pricing on the Trek ZA site is accurate at R20k it's a solid deal IMO.

I think it is a very nice bike apart from the fork and brakes. 

Don't know the Trek Rims at all. Also see they have Shimano hubs on there. Are they cup and cone or proper sealed bearing hubs?

How is the Transx dropper holding up?

1 hour ago, Ruben Hechter said:

I think it is a very nice bike apart from the fork and brakes. 

Don't know the Trek Rims at all. Also see they have Shimano hubs on there. Are they cup and cone or proper sealed bearing hubs?

How is the Transx dropper holding up?

After my dodgy Sram Level brakes on the old bike these actually feel ok.

My Roscoe came with Ethirteen LG1 enduro rims and not the Bontrager. But the hubs are cup & cone.

Dropper does the trick, for now. Only complaint is the plastic lever.