MTB Saddle selection

Grant Prince

59 minutes ago, Nestus said:

+1 for the WTB Volt. Best saddle yet, especially on my Hardtail.

Talking about your Bike or Butt...😂

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Nestus said:

+1 for the WTB Volt. Best saddle yet, especially on my Hardtail.

speaking of WTB, does your saddle not have a hole in it?

6 hours ago, Shebeen said:

..... Saddles are very personal, people are going to recommend what works for them. .....

Never a truer work typed on Le Hub.

2018 I spent some time with a bike fitter.  In one of the sessions the saddle was replaced with another from a drawer full of options .... No idea of brand, model or price .... just: "How does this one feel" ....

Went through a long list of options .... the last saddle just WORKED !!!  Turns out it was the cheapest one in the drawer .....

Few years later I needed another saddle, and could not find the same brand and model.  Tried the Sella Italia DX, just because it looked very much like the other saddly I was using.  I have since bought another one, and considering getting one for the trainer as well.

For whatever reason, this model just WORKS for ME.

All said and done ..... NO saddle is comfortable when you butt is not saddle fit.  NO bib is "perfect" when your bumm is not saddle fit ...... nothing like time in the saddle .....  which reminds me, I need to rack up some 100+km rides ....

5 hours ago, Stephan said:

Can I buy B17 in RSA? 

Cycletouring dot coza

Edited by TIB

I have been down the route of trying many saddles and am tentatively settling on the Spez Power saddle with Mimic (9/10). I honestly think that Mimic is magic, which is potentially just added padding actually. 
then also been trying out SQ labs which is pretty comfy (8/10) but haven’t done a longer ride as yet. 
And some more opinions based on my experience.
Spez Phenom was also comfortable (7.5/10). Bontrager Montrose Elite - comfortable (6.5/10). Bontrager Aeolus (4/10). Selle Italia Aspide (4/10). Syncros standard Scott spark saddle (3/10). 

I would love to try the phenom with mimic, and one day when the ship comes in a 3D printed saddle - everyone I know who has tried one raves about them including bike fitters (or if you spend 6k on a saddle you may feel the need to justify the purchase)

7 hours ago, Grant Prince said:

Will make sure to measure sit bones first. Currently have a 145mm wide low-cost saddle but very uncomfortable for me. Feels as if it is too marrow for sit bones. I know 145 is already quite wide.

Sit bone measurement as a first step, I now you just said it but I'm saying it again. I've been riding saddles that have been too narrow for 30 years, and finding out that I needed a 155 was enlightening.

9 hours ago, Shebeen said:

don't throw darts with your bum

Drop darts, don't throw them.

Got a injury from spez saddles..switched to ergon, problem solved. Ergon sm and smc range is like sitting on sofa

Like most said, what works for one person might not work for another.  Very happy with a WTB Silverado for my MTB, switched from Selle Italia SLs as I kept cracking them on the MTB.  Still use Selle’s on the road but won’t switch back on the MTB

3 hours ago, Mattman said:

I would love to try the phenom with mimic

I recently switched to this on my MTB from a Power. Still have a Power (also with mimic) on my gravel bike.

They’re two very different saddles, I find the Power is great if you’re mostly in one position, where the Phenom allows more free movement around.

17 hours ago, Shebeen said:

speaking of WTB, does your saddle not have a hole in it?

No it does not, this is the one I have.

189.99-2020-04-29T094454.652_2000x.webp

20 hours ago, Grant Prince said:

Thank you for the replies.

Where can I have a look at Fabric saddles? I live in Pretoria

Go to Specialized shop in Lynnwood (LCC)
Measure your ass.  It's quick.  They'll give you a recommendation.  

Then you look at what's out there.

In Pretoria..........
Fabric is brought in by Omnico who sells to any bikeshop.  But no one stocks.  (Easy and quick to order)
Selle Italia is my favorite.  I ride a SLR Boost (Short) on the MTB.  The importers are also in Pretoria and most bike shops in Pta stocks Selle Italia.  (Easy and quick to order)

I am a big fan of Prologo also.  Well made.  You get the short version and you get narrow and wide versions quite easily.  

As for the power saddles..........I have tried them.  LOVE the fact that you can bolt a saddle bag or light onto it but at 143mm for their narrow saddle, its just not narrow enough for my girlish ass.

Good luck.

The measurements at a Specialized shop can take a lot of time.

A far more reliable estimate can be obtained by taking a selfie of your bottom and posting it here on the hub. We can provide you with good, consistent, clear advice, especially if you post it early on a Friday morning.

I did the whole sit on cardboard and measure the impression to get my sit bone width and bought the corresponding size ergon saddle for mountain bikes.. then transferred the saddle onto the gravel bike and it’s awesome, I love that saddle..