SRAM 32T love?

betaboy

9 hours ago, betaboy said:

.. interesting, I was under the impression that was still under consideration. Do you know when they filed it? 

I got the filing date wrong . I thought it was 2009 but it’s actually 1999 so its

already lapsed.

the patent included a 14 speed cassette, chain and jockey pulley wheels

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 comes standard on all new cranks from the local supplier, so there will be many of them getting ditched brand new for other sizes. With Eagle going to 52T a year or so back I'd guess 34 mostly.

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

The Germans at Rohloff have been making a 14 speed transmission for years!

Internal geared chub though. The Shimano patent was for a 14 speed cassette and chain 

Realistically with an eagle drivetrain a 32tooth in Gauteng is pretty useless. Given that 1/4 the population and 1/3rd of the gdp in GP, there is likely a fair percentage of bikes with eagle in GP.

If you run the analytics on your gear usage with an AXS set up you can figure out the best front chainring to run to get the most out of your gears/legs. I have a 32,34 and a 36 tooth front chainring in rotation. The 32 is great for big elevation rides and super long rides where you will never manage to output huge power day after day. For expeditions quite a few go to a 28 even.

If you look at even a 34tooth on a 120km ride in PTA, there is no time spent in the granny gears even with wtf and a few other PTA east 'climbs' thrown in.

image.png.f9e02a9a60d56616ab9e9192908f6a31.png

But C2T where it is longer and there is a good wad of proper climbing the 34tooth is a perfect fit.

image.png.0103b9f61d493d866bada17469e1211f.png

Yes those are both mostly gravel, but the reality is there is a lot of 'mtb' gravel riding done in GP.

Singletrack is short enough to push watts that you don't need a 32tooth. Below you can see Rosemary hill with a 5km to and from the folks farm to Rosemary hill. 34tooth is perfect and I am not a huge power output rider.

image.png.c4768187f9cc074fb31d5d9524315867.png

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

Realistically with an eagle drivetrain a 32tooth in Gauteng is pretty useless. Given that 1/4 the population and 1/3rd of the gdp in GP, there is likely a fair percentage of bikes with eagle in GP.

If you run the analytics on your gear usage with an AXS set up you can figure out the best front chainring to run to get the most out of your gears/legs. I have a 32,34 and a 36 tooth front chainring in rotation. The 32 is great for big elevation rides and super long rides where you will never manage to output huge power day after day. For expeditions quite a few go to a 28 even.

If you look at even a 34tooth on a 120km ride in PTA, there is no time spent in the granny gears even with wtf and a few other PTA east 'climbs' thrown in.

image.png.f9e02a9a60d56616ab9e9192908f6a31.png

But C2T where it is longer and there is a good wad of proper climbing the 34tooth is a perfect fit.

image.png.0103b9f61d493d866bada17469e1211f.png

Yes those are both mostly gravel, but the reality is there is a lot of 'mtb' gravel riding done in GP.

Singletrack is short enough to push watts that you don't need a 32tooth. Below you can see Rosemary hill with a 5km to and from the folks farm to Rosemary hill. 34tooth is perfect and I am not a huge power output rider.

image.png.c4768187f9cc074fb31d5d9524315867.png

yeah there's also lots of Enduro riders . like myself 

The older gen of my bike was much lighter and felt more efficient so when i got it a 34t was perfect 

Now I'm thinking of going back to 32t cause the new heavier one ( more downhill bias than efficiency ) 

18 hours ago, BaGearA said:

(genuine question from a 2x10sp rider) what's the funny bit, the price or the12spd only designation? 

looks like there are loads of chainrings available in the classifieds, not sure 32 is that far ahead of 34

this guy would know.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/chainrings/621376/mtb-chainrings

3 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

(genuine question from a 2x10sp rider) what's the funny bit, the price or the12spd only designation? 

looks like there are loads of chainrings available in the classifieds, not sure 32 is that far ahead of 34

this guy would know.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/chainrings/621376/mtb-chainrings

Just funny as i was looking for this thread another 32t ad popped up 

On 1/17/2024 at 7:34 PM, Dappere said:

Yeah, Campagnolo priced themselves out of the market alongside poor decisions in product development.

A 1x14 could well be the next big thing, or we might see something like Classified Hubs gaining more popularity.

I wonder about this and personally doubt there is any merit in developing a 14 sprocket cassette.  Its unlikely that the additional gears are going to be on the small gears, getting down to a 10 tooth gear given the diameter of the axle is a finite limitation as far as my uneducated brain is concerned and I dont think a 9 or 8 tooth is physically possible, but i may be wrong.  So then what?  Bigger and bigger granny gears to allow for bigger front chain rings?  Maybe?  This will create some weird pedaling gear ration though, and the whole cassette will need to be redesigned to create reasonably sensible incremental pedaling ratios. 

Cycling tech development never seems to hit the law of diminishing returns, so who actually knows?  1x12 was the front derailleur killer and I wonder if 12 discreet gear ratios enough?  What kind of riding would seriously benefit from 1 or 2 more? 

All I do know is that there will be a whole bunch of okes heading off to buy whatever next version of this crack cocaine they come up with, and probably me included.  I need bike rehab.

Edited by PygaSchmyga

1 hour ago, PygaSchmyga said:

I wonder about this and personally doubt there is any merit in developing a 14 sprocket cassette.  Its unlikely that the additional gears are going to be on the small gears, getting down to a 10 tooth gear given the diameter of the axle is a finite limitation as far as my uneducated brain is concerned and I dont think a 9 or 8 tooth is physically possible, but i may be wrong.  So then what?  Bigger and bigger granny gears to allow for bigger front chain rings?  Maybe?  This will create some weird pedaling gear ration though, and the whole cassette will need to be redesigned to create reasonably sensible incremental pedaling ratios. 

Cycling tech development never seems to hit the law of diminishing returns, so who actually knows?  1x12 was the front derailleur killer and I wonder if 12 discreet gear ratios enough?  What kind of riding would seriously benefit from 1 or 2 more? 

All I do know is that there will be a whole bunch of okes heading off to buy whatever next version of this crack cocaine they come up with, and probably me included.  I need bike rehab.

EThirteen made ( and maybe still ) a cassette with two parts , first part screwed onto a xd drive and the second part clicked into the first part 

That second part had a 9t at the bottom 

I think 14 isn't a hard sell if the ratios are really tight but jirrrr .....14 cogs on a rear wheel is getting abit stupid and gives merit to those ludicrous memes when eagle was just announced 

1 hour ago, PygaSchmyga said:

I need bike rehab.

Same 

Been long thinking of fitting 1x1 on my ex and using a zee der i have to take the slack 

Just to try it out for a bit 

5 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

EThirteen made ( and maybe still ) a cassette with two parts , first part screwed onto a xd drive and the second part clicked into the first part 

That second part had a 9t at the bottom 

I think 14 isn't a hard sell if the ratios are really tight but jirrrr .....14 cogs on a rear wheel is getting abit stupid and gives merit to those ludicrous memes when eagle was just announced 

i never saw these, do you have some examples?  I was a complete Eagle disciple/junkie when it came out.  I bought one in germany long before they came  here and windgatted up and down the spruit like a brass knob - good times!

16 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

i never saw these, do you have some examples?  I was a complete Eagle disciple/junkie when it came out.  I bought one in germany long before they came  here and windgatted up and down the spruit like a brass knob - good times!

obviously the ratio's are wild 

KFW2RA-103_HelixR-12spd-Nickel-Grey_768x768.webp

47 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

obviously the ratio's are wild 

KFW2RA-103_HelixR-12spd-Nickel-Grey_768x768.webp

you see now, kanniiemeerie, that is very lovely and obviously i need it

18 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

you see now, kanniiemeerie, that is very lovely and obviously i need it

If I remember correctly, it needed a special free hub that only Hope or E-thirteen made?

Like a short stubby microspline looking thing. 

Maybe the later versions screwed onto a SRAM xd drive, but the original ones had a very proprietary system