New to Hermanus - DH/Freeride trails?

Slennons!

Hi - completely new to the site a forum. 

We’ve recently emigrated to SA from the UK and are renting in Vermont. My son and I (who’s 9 but skilled) checked out the red loop at Hemel en Aarde today. 
It was fun but lots of climbing for little legs and we’re used to more jumps, drops, big berms etc. 

Can anyone recommend a place for us to try please? For anyone that is familiar with the trails, my boy can clear all the jumps on Lombards Terra and Bloemendal no problem so jumps, drops and flow trails are what we’re looking for. 

Many thanks!! 

IMG_0779.jpeg

IMG_0611.jpeg

Unfortunately, the Overberg area isn't known for technically challenging trails. It's marathon country. So you are going to have to travel. Unless he starts building his own.

I'm a little out the loop but I believe the closest would be Helderberg and Stellenbosch (Jonkershoek, GSpot - easier climbing for kids).

Also maybe try connecting with the Hellsend crew to see if you can get your son in there. They have had open days and other events👇

image.png

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info - I’m happy to help him build his own but I’m guessing that any trail building would be illegal unless we can come to some arrangement with a farm owner? 

Hi

I’m a Hermanus local. We unfortunately don’t have any trails to cater for Downhill/Enduro needs. Some of the terrain in the valley might allow for something to be built, but don’t think there is enough demand to make it worthwhile. If you want to go that direction, please speak to Kobus from Dusty Feet, he manages the trail network in the Valley and has the relationship with all the relevant landowners. And as a heads up, please stay clear of the Fernkloof reserve hiking trails. I’ve been in Hermanus for 30 years and it is an absolute No Go for mountain biking.

The BMX track is fun and the jumps are reasonable

Kleinmond has a little skills track with berms and jumps - take the coastal route when you next go to Cape Town and have a look.

Just past Gansbaai Lomond red (leopard) is a fun techy trail - not groomed but has berms and jumps.  Has climbing but well worth it. 

Speak to Kobus Stofberg at Hermanus Adventures /  Dusty Feet.  He will advise you re trails as well as building - I am sure he will appreciate help.  There is a little skills section near the quadbikes on the red route - has some jumps and drops.  Haven't been there for a while but they have had to do a lot of work on the main trail after the storms. Jannie at Village Cycles and Leon/Etienne at Hermanus cycles will have loads of advice.

Thanks for the comments everyone, have made contact with Kobus on Instagram 👍

Behind Hermanus High school you will find a BMX track...we used to race Dual-slalom there many many moons ago. Kobus should be able to help out. Closest Gravity style riding to you is Somerset west (https://www.thehangerbikeco.co.za/ if his that talented, speak to these guys, co-owned by Andrew Neethling) 

image.png.b166e38b48e8bea2a74343aa315001d2.png

There is a good jump line that gets progressively bigger at Plaisir die Merlé in the Franschhoek valley. The jumps start off similar in size to what you found at Bloemendal and then grow in size as you descend. The entire line from top to bottom is about 2km. That's pretty much were I started really improving my own jumping skills. 

There is also the Hoogekraal skills park with some proper good size jumps and drops, but it's quite far from Hermanus.

Hi, Contermanskloof MTB has some great Enduro/DH trails with jumps and drops. Then there's Hoogekraal Skills Park in the Durbanville area too. Jonkershoek has some nice black trails too. We rode Spice Route DH this last weekend which is steep and loose but lots of climbing so shuttle recommended. Paarl DH is another option. Tokai has some fun trails too...there's a nice jump line on DH3.

Edited by Gregg Blomeyer

No one has mentioned Jonershoek , which is a great option for most types of MTB  aslo Helderberg 

5 minutes ago, phenning said:

No one has mentioned Jonershoek , which is a great option for most types of MTB  aslo Helderberg 

Mentioned up top by Nick. 
All great suggestions, (don't forget Banhoek Afterburn for flowey jumpy fun) but i mean most of them arent exactly a quick pop out to the local trailhead from Hermanus😅

we are spoilt this side of the cape.

Edited by MORNE

Thanks for all the suggestions 👍 I was hoping not to need to drive for an hour + but looks like I might have to just suck it up 😂