Around the pot: participants of the cancelled 2023 only get 20% discount for 2024

olmec

20 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Speaking of , OP if you are with cyclesure give them a call 

they may pay you out for this 

This is what I was thinking.. this is obviously why bike insurance have the option to cover entrance fees etc if the event is cancelled.. and then you claim from them and not the event organisers🤷🏼‍♂️.. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

I attended the RvR race as well and also suffered that same delay.

I think the big difference with that event is that was negligence on the organisers part wrt not having enough ambulances. So they needed to do more than just a discount and fair play to them they have done that.

this is complete nonsense, and can't believe its still being bandied about 6 months after the event.

there are more than enough comments from both the organiser and entrants on the 2023 and 2024 event forums to dispell this.

6 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

this is complete nonsense, and can't believe its still being bandied about 6 months after the event.

there are more than enough comments from both the organiser and entrants on the 2023 and 2024 event forums to dispell this.

What exactly is complete nonsense?

1 minute ago, RossTopher said:

exactly.

Putting on an event in this day and age is HARD. support the ones that are able to make it work. In this case for OTP they have an army of volunteers who put in the hours.

It takes 4/5 years to build up the goodwill of a decent event, but fickle johnnies will take their after tax randelas somewhere else for a few years if there is one single stuff up, no matter who was at fault. The dates don't work for me for RvR tis year, but I am superkeen to go give OTP another klap. I feel it is very important to support a race that has had a setback like this, as the entry numbers will most likely be reduced.

what I am trying to say is:

a)support both, if you can

b)don't talk k%^k trashing a race if you haven't done your homework and got your wires twisted.

c)RvR are on official notice for advertising legit Belgian beer and then delivering Stella artois. They have a pass for a dog ate my homework excuse just this one time, mainly because they put out this incredible promise for 2024.

Beer: 🍻

All beers at the finish line will be absolutely free, on us!!

https://bikehub.co.za/events/races/view/723/ronde-van-riebeek

I wanna see a 100miler 100s club

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

exactly.

Putting on an event in this day and age is HARD. support the ones that are able to make it work. In this case for OTP they have an army of volunteers who put in the hours.

It takes 4/5 years to build up the goodwill of a decent event, but fickle johnnies will take their after tax randelas somewhere else for a few years if there is one single stuff up, no matter who was at fault. The dates don't work for me for RvR tis year, but I am superkeen to go give OTP another klap. I feel it is very important to support a race that has had a setback like this, as the entry numbers will most likely be reduced.

what I am trying to say is:

a)support both, if you can

b)don't talk k%^k trashing a race if you haven't done your homework and got your wires twisted.

c)RvR are on official notice for advertising legit Belgian beer and then delivering Stella artois. They have a pass for a dog ate my homework excuse just this one time, mainly because they put out this incredible promise for 2024.

https://bikehub.co.za/events/races/view/723/ronde-van-riebeek

I wanna see a 100miler 100s club

I am keen to do this event again, although I don't think I am far from wrong if I say in the last few years just every single RTP edition was a mud fest due to rain during the week or on the day (ignoring the cancelled one that caused this thread). Purely based on that I am quite happy to wait it out until I have a good idea of what the weather predictions are and then do a last minute substitution or late entry.

Think a few people will do that, which is just the risk the organisers will have to live with when using that timeslot.

3 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I am keen to do this event again, although I don't think I am far from wrong if I say in the last few years just every single RTP edition was a mud fest due to rain during the week or on the day (ignoring the cancelled one that caused this thread). Purely based on that I am quite happy to wait it out until I have a good idea of what the weather predictions are and then do a last minute substitution or late entry.

Think a few people will do that, which is just the risk the organisers will have to live with when using that timeslot.

Two in a row, but statistics don't work like that.

It's like entering the Argus for the perfect conditions because last year the wind didn't blow. 

On 1/30/2024 at 1:49 PM, BaGearA said:

Speaking of , OP if you are with cyclesure give them a call 

they may pay you out for this 

Nope, they didn’t 

14 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Two in a row, but statistics don't work like that.

It's like entering the Argus for the perfect conditions because last year the wind didn't blow. 

Yeah thanks for the stats lesson 👍, this is what I based my opinion on

2023 - Cancelled because of storms

2022 - Mudfest

2021 - COVID so ignore

2020 - COVID so ignore

2019 - Mud

2018 - OKish - some mud after heavy rains during the week

2017 - Decent weather afaik

8 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

2022 - Mudfest

2021 - COVID so ignore

2020 - COVID so ignore

2019 - Mud

So what you are saying is that statistically it is overdue for a stunning event ... :P

Let's face it.  This event is KNOWN as a wet race.  If it is a dry race you want, then enter the week before the time ....

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Let's face it.  This event is KNOWN as a wet race.  If it is a dry race you want, then enter the week before the time ....

100% what I am planning to do 👍

No race organising committee wakes up on the morning of the event and grins like the devil upon seeing the storm and thinks:

“Hahaha, now we can rip those cyclists off… we were hoping for kakka weather…”

Question though, did the organisers have insurance for cancellation? We're involved in staging mass participation events (not bike based) and have a lot of different insurances tp protect from a lot of costs and eventualities. There is a big difference between pulling the event as as a decision  by the organisation and having it pulled for safety reasons by a certifying authority.

19 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Question though, did the organisers have insurance for cancellation? We're involved in staging mass participation events (not bike based) and have a lot of different insurances tp protect from a lot of costs and eventualities. There is a big difference between pulling the event as as a decision  by the organisation and having it pulled for safety reasons by a certifying authority.

Public liability insurance, which is required by law. This doesn’t cover reimbursement costs however, and apparently the interest from underwriters/insurers is minimal as the process and costs are onerous.

1 minute ago, Danger Dassie said:

Public liability insurance, which is required by law. This doesn’t cover reimbursement costs however, and apparently the interest from underwriters/insurers is minimal as the process and costs are onerous.

There are a range on insurances that you have to have to run any public event (PI being one of them) and some you can choose to take as an organiser and are a business decision. The owners of the events we're involved in, for up to 25,000 participants, take event insurance and cancelation insurance as part of their standard business model. It's been claimed on twice (in 5 years) and covered costs due to suppliers, sponsors, certified outlay and participant / ticket refunds. One claim was a cancellation by the hosting city for safety reasons their side and one was due to truely horrific weather (this one was a fight to get paid out and needed a lot of expert opinion / documentation, it was paid though). 

21 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Agree with this. Would love to give the 200 mile a go again if the conditions were to be a little less "damp". Also having some drivetrain life left after the event would be a nice bonus...

3 hours ago, Skubarra said:

2022 - Mudfest

2021 - COVID so ignore

2020 - COVID so ignore

2019 - Mud

I guess we can ignore the weather during those weeks because it was also on lockdown?

capetonians are hard work sometimes.

5 years of drought, and then they moan when it rains a bit in winter once the dams are fuller. I know some people still have PTSD from not having lubed their drivetrains in 2022 and crying at the LBS the next week, my gravel bike survived it totally fine.

image.png.7448bb0c8af37665af0d2593c70ef8b1.png

Of course you can always wait and do a last minute entry once windguru is in the range and it is predicting goldilocks weather. You'll be in the category of people moaning that there's no goody bag and accomodation is hard to find. I hope Rohan takes the 20% discount at this stage away for apathy tax.

but looking quickly at some archive stuff,

2019 was indeed reported as muddy, looks ok in the pictures

image.png.d1415ea3ee67cfb7cde5b73cee504da0.png

image.png.c2dd3f46c55ab79dbfa7f7b71f76b4aa.png

https://fullsus.co.za/posthumus-and-webb-win-2019-chas-everitt-around-the-pot-overberg-100miler-presented-by-seesa/

https://www.velotales.com/2018/07/around-pot-2018.html

2018 has some nice little words that ring true, and why I'm defending this event, and even more ok if the flipfloppers don't enter

It's not often that a race comes along that has the ability to fill one with such emotion. Not the "Why-did-I-enter-this-race-I'm-going-to-die" sort of emotion - we'll get to that later - the "I-don't-want-to-tell-anyone-about-this-event-because-it's-amazing" selfishness that filled us after last year's race. This is a bike riding event run by people who get bike riding. Things just work. Everyone is a rock star. And there is a burger and beer at the finish.

37677736_2088142438073239_6852349737828352_o.jpg
Dane the Limpet

The selfishness comes in that with the inevitable growth of an event, the very things that make an event unique are lost as the event scales. So I tried not to tell anyone about The Around The Pot 100 Miler. But someone spoke, breaking the secret pact we'd all sworn to keep and come race day this year, registration was mass of race snakes, weekend warriors, endurance addicts and sufferfest seekers. And their families. And their friends.