• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Jp_perros said:

Im new to mountain biking, so if the pros and cons can be shared, if you have done it before or if it is even possible please let me know.

I’ll take a stab in the dark: you are young and you think it will look cool. 

And that’s okay, we were all there once. But I’d suggest clocking a few thousand kays on your bike first, trust the designers and learn to MTB before chopping the poor thing. 

And you’ll save a few bucks you can spend on riding classes. 

My 2 cents.

I been riding my Camber 29er for a couple of years on all things janky, gnarly and jumpy. Basically, I learnt the skills on the machine I had. Some less drastic improvements helped along the way, such as a dropper post, short stem and wider bar (yes, it's flat), flat pedals and better wheels. My riding progressed rapidly from that point on.

Then last November I pulled the trigger on a new Stumpy EVO with a mullet setup. And oh boy, did that make a difference. The bike is super slack (63.5 HA) and on that smaller rear wheel it really comes alive on all the trails I rode before on the camber, except it is much faster overall, and makes the camber feel wooden by comparison. Yes, the suspension is way better, but the geo and the wheel setup made a huge difference.

But in saying all that, I agree with getting the skills first. That is paramount.

Thanks to everyone for the input, i will take everyone's advice  and concentrate on my skill first and i will just for experimenting put a 27.5 wheal from a friends bike just to see if its a good idea. I will post an update on this for those who also wonder what it will be like.:thumbup:

Will it change my head tube angle?:ph34r: if it does by how much perhaps and would it not necessary change the bikes discipline but instead make it capable of other forms of mountain biking?

14 minutes ago, Jp_perros said:

Will it change my head tube angle?:ph34r: if it does by how much perhaps and would it not necessary change the bikes discipline but instead make it capable of other forms of mountain biking?

yes , bout half a degree slacker 

its hardtail is about all i want to say 

For the costs I think a dropper/skills session is a far better option 

A coach is someone you can  better explain to and they might be able to teach you to do exactly what you are envisioning with the bike you already have 

EDIT if you're in PTA send me a dm , I can do what i think you're imagining and i can show you why it probably makes me slower than if i just didn't do it 

19 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

My 2 cents.

I been riding my Camber 29er for a couple of years on all things janky, gnarly and jumpy. Basically, I learnt the skills on the machine I had. Some less drastic improvements helped along the way, such as a dropper post, short stem and wider bar (yes, it's flat), flat pedals and better wheels. My riding progressed rapidly from that point on.

Then last November I pulled the trigger on a new Stumpy EVO with a mullet setup. And oh boy, did that make a difference. The bike is super slack (63.5 HA) and on that smaller rear wheel it really comes alive on all the trails I rode before on the camber, except it is much faster overall, and makes the camber feel wooden by comparison. Yes, the suspension is way better, but the geo and the wheel setup made a huge difference.

But in saying all that, I agree with getting the skills first. That is paramount.

To be fair though, a Camber is a very outdated bike geo wise, so there are a host of factors that make your Stumpy so much more fun to ride, not just the whippy rear wheel. 

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

To be fair though, a Camber is a very outdated bike geo wise, so there are a host of factors that make your Stumpy so much more fun to ride, not just the whippy rear wheel. 

I can't argue that point. I do have to be transparent though. When I jump on the bike and more so when I rail a berm at speed, it feels like the rear wheel wants to get away from me. Almost like it's on the edge of its available grip and wants to start sliding out. On tech, it is a huge amount of fun because the bike just plays more fun, but I agree, the Stumpy Evo and the Camber have nothing in common other than the name and the colour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FINAL UP DATE!: Sorry i took so long i am currently busy with exams. So i fund that it does make the bike feel more comfortable, my top tube was lower, my bunny hops felt easier and my maneuverability was improved my top speed was affected by 7kmh and climbing i felt no difference. so if i where to be going on the trails just for fun would i do it maybe otherwise it felt the same.image.jpeg.334686088fd96c242466fe13b37daaa5.jpegimage.jpeg.f730417dcad9d7aba940a903fb9b793d.jpeg

Is that your normal saddle height ?
Or did you drop it for the photo or while you were riding ?