• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, babse said:

That's impressive...

Glory days of road races coming back?

Even the Trailseeker Banhoek event had MANY entrants.

3 February we tried to get accommodation for Vines and Views, our regular spot, in SEPTEMBER ... already booked out !!

It seems cycling in general may be on the up. 👍

43 minutes ago, babse said:

I'm already getting excited for races in the south going over OKW, Boyes drive and the likes...

Hopefully this year I get to go over red hill more than once

46 minutes ago, babse said:

I'm already getting excited for races in the south going over OKW, Boyes drive and the likes...

How I long for the "glory days" of cycling when we had two races over the same weekend. All those little gems of the South that are all lost now.

1 hour ago, babse said:

42 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

How I long for the "glory days" of cycling when we had two races over the same weekend. All those little gems of the South that are all lost now.

Cape Cobra, Roller Coaster... 😜

Edited by mikkelz

What's the wind prediction and directions for tomorrow morning out in the North🤔

5 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

IMG_4065.png

Speedy out lap .... FUN on the way back ....

Let's hope the temperature predictions are correct.

Yoh, fasted 99km I've ever ridden, so thanks I guess to the guys from %, A and B that started with our group, but on the other hand averaging 43km/h from the start trying to navigate circles and speedbumps until we were out side the city, no thanks. And when E caught D it became a **** show of two groups worth of riders riding in an echelon trying to stay out of the wind into oncoming traffic. 

Rider 608 needs a special mention for littering... 

This has to be the most slickly organised and executed event. The start is immaculate, enough porta pottys and toilets, parking a breeze, clear, precise and friendly marshalls organising people into start groups and all with a smile - very lekker.

Fast route, technical beginning and finish through the traffic circles which is all good. The absence of a large hill anywhere in the first quarter of the race makes for super large bunches and in the cross winds on the Old Malmesbury Road this made for some hairy moments and high risk riding. The bike Marshall looking after the main blob of D and some Es was excellent, firm, capable and vigilant but he had his hands full keeping people left of the line. I

'm amazed how many of us are willing to ride on the wrong side of the road on a blind rise just to hang on to an alphabet soup group. 

Somone came down directly in front of me as we crested one of the rollers, red kit - I rode over his back wheel - really thought I was going to join him for a lie down but by some fluke didn't - clipped back in and chased on.

Got dropped on the drag up to Adderly and then a burly gent by the name of Rudi towed me and some others back - what a beast Rudi is, clearly more than a 100kg of solid muscle - he didn't even look like he was trying but he must have been putting down some serious watts. 

Slower than last year thanks to the winds.

Lekker race - I enjoyed it - despite the risks

Fantastic race. Started in D and really happy with my personal performance. I do however feel that the group itself was really frustrating to ride in. There were a small handful of us at the front trying to get some momentum and pace line going but people just absolutely refusing to pull a turn. I kinda knew E would catch us quickly as there was definitely a lack of urgency. People just happy to suck wheel. When E caught us I think around the 40km mark it finally seemed like something would happen but bar a few of them who tried to get something going, the rest again just happy to suck wheel. What happened after that was possibly one of the biggest bunches in a non Argus event I’ve ever seen. And yeah once we hit kalbaskraal, again people would rather ride in oncoming traffic than spend a few seconds in the wind. 

Once we hit adderley, I tried multiple times to break free but with the wind was pretty much impossible. A couple of guys jumped on my wheel but refuse to pull a turn upfront so I felt like I towed the entire bunch up adderley. And then ofcourse the moment we hit the suburbs, everyone turned into super Saiyan 6 all of a sudden for the last 2k’s. Where was that energy before 🤦🏻‍♂️

Either way, a really enjoyable race and such a great attendance. Road cycling making a huge comeback 2024. Organisation also top marks today. Spare of thought for the poor guys on motor bikes today. We really made it difficult for them and can do better as cyclists. 

What a blast :clap:

Managed to stay with E for a few km.

F came past, but the difference in speed was minimal (last year I was passed like I was parked)

I was having so much fun towards Malmesbury that I bettered my 40km sprint time.  For context, a couple of us were WORKING those rollers !!  And while we are red lining our heart rate a high school kid comes gliding past like he is not even trying :ph34r:

At the 50km mark glanced at my second screen and some stats .... :eek:  A sub-3 100km was a possibility ....

And then we turned towards Kalbaskraal .... and somebody switched on the fan .... on HIGH speed !!!

Every so often I would look over my shoulder and a group would be huddling in my wake .... being "broad shouldered" there was a nice wake to hide in ....  They would hang a while, then the elastic snapped, and so it carried on.

In Kalbaskraal medics were attending to three riders .... NEVER a nice site.  This was maybe 500m into the sprint section ....

I stopped to swop out the GoPro battery (thats my story and I am sticking to it :P)  As I put my leg down it CRAMPED .... did a quick two-step to get safely off the bike ..... THANKFULLY the cramp was gone.  After that I would stretch my hammies on downhills .... but still kept the pace high as possible.

Adderly was a scary !!! Some of the "blue numbers" (short course) would swerve for no reason, and even less warning ....  Saw some seriously dangerous passing moves on the wrong side of the road.   I had to cross on the wrong side myself a few times (at least made sure it was) .... I will post pics later showing just how crowded it got.

Past Malans, and then that nasty climb up to Spes Bona ..... By the time I looked around I had a train in my wake .....  By now I was pushing for a personal best, so just kept the hammer down as long and as hard as I could ....  On the long downhill after Spes Bona I waved the group past ... they stayed .... I gave it a few more hard kicks .... felt the cramps coming and to pull hard to the shoulder and sit up and let them get on with their race.

I caught them in D'Urbanville, and started the climb with them, still giving it my ALL .... with an elapsed time of 3:29 I had to stop just short of the finish line ..... for the next 20 minutes I cheered on riders finishing the race.  At 3:50 I got back on my bike and completed the race.

Screenshot_20240210_134823_WhatsApp.jpg.d975fff945faa668ba5f9d49452fc411.jpg

(the other pics are on the GoPro, need to check and edit, will load later)

I really need to have a cold one with the individual that copy pasted the CTCT e-bike rules onto the 99er event .... 8km short and 500m less elevation .... surely the 3:50 has to be adjusted accordingly .... (Italics font ... I am NOT too bothered about this)

Just GLAD my legs held up in these conditions and that I managed a series PB's on segments.

Edited by ChrisF

Hello all

I am Nicholas Haupt. Head of Operations for the 99er event and member the 99er EXCO as well as creator of the new 99er Trilogy which was launched today.

Any feedback and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism for us? We want to improve each year and this is usually a good place for feedback. 

PLEASE DON'T BASH AND ABUSE HERE. We would like to engage with the community in a positive way and are open to our shortcomings being highlighted but we do not need mudslinging. Helps nobody. 

Thanks very much 😁