Bike Computer and Ride Drink

Bundu Ric

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

IMHO no need to for the more expensive Race Pro, the normal Race does the job for most of us. Even when I'm redlining it for an entire Grand Fondo, Race works for me. (although I do supplement with energy gel)

I agree with not needing expensive stuff for training days. Biogen pure energy works out at 45grams carbs in a 750bottle. But your Rand per bottle is around R8,50. Think 32gi Endure is around R22/bottle for similar carb value. Cadence carbofuel is R20/bottle for 40grams carbs. Maurten is at R57/bottle for 80grams carbs for reference. I am happy to train cheap on biogen and then spice it up for special days and save the bank balance a little. I am only running at the moment, but last year I was going through 10+bottles a week and it adds up very fast.

You do need to test your stomach can handle it as well.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Bundu Ric said:

Hi al, 

Thought I would cover this in one, as an old weekend cyclist that will start dabbling in a bit of racing (non-competitive) this year. 

I currently have a Wahoo Element Bolt, and on the trails with the older eyes I now feel the screen is getting a bitt small to see and navigate when riding. What would be the recommended bike computer now with a decent size screen and color?

Then for riding, and I have looked, there are zillions of drinks, what should I drink during my rides, and these would vary from 25-50km rides for now to keep hydrated but also fuelled during the ride?

Thanks

Road or MTB racing ?  Or Gravel ?

25km .... just water

50km on tar .... uhmmmm ... hardly any need for fancy feeding.

Go past the 50km, at race pace and the topic becomes a lot more interesting.

50km on a MTB ... how much climbing?  whole different ball game again.

Something to consider:

- what do you eat BEFORE your ride ?

- what do you eat AFTER your ride ? (recovery meal)

on the 25 to 50km distances it is VERY easy to overfuel .....

1 minute ago, RustyHWR said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not affiliated to any of the two companies, but been using Cadence for years now and was just concerned?  

Increasing my training for Stage Races and ultra-distance events meant I needed to address gut issues by using race-specific nutrition. Initially, Cadence was my exclusive choice, proving to be an excellent product. However, after two years, the challenge of taste fatigue led me to explore other options.

I added 32gi to my regimen. If I can choose my favourite from each; 32gi Race/Endure for its flavour and Cadence Marathon for its calorie-protein balance. This switch was primarily driven by taste preferences—I want to somewhat enjoy what I consume to maintain energy levels and performance over long distances. 😅

Both brands have served me well, ensuring I receive the necessary nutrition without compromising effectiveness.

10 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Road or MTB racing ?  Or Gravel ?

25km .... just water

50km on tar .... uhmmmm ... hardly any need for fancy feeding.

Go past the 50km, at race pace and the topic becomes a lot more interesting.

50km on a MTB ... how much climbing?  whole different ball game again.

Something to consider:

- what do you eat BEFORE your ride ?

- what do you eat AFTER your ride ? (recovery meal)

on the 25 to 50km distances it is VERY easy to overfuel .....

MTB, 

Climbing depending on where we ride, anything from 100 - 500m.

I usually eat nothing before the ride, probably something I need to look into. 

Post ride is usually a brekkie roll and cappuccino, the normal after most MTB rides and what is on offer :)

Guys. Just get Tailwind and be done with it.

You dont need gels, bars or any food. Just drink the tailwind and follow the correct hourly calorie consumption and you’ll be sorted. 

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

IMHO no need to for the more expensive Race Pro, the normal Race does the job for most of us. Even when I'm redlining it for an entire Grand Fondo, Race works for me. (although I do supplement with energy gel)

RacePro was designed to be a single bottle feed, in that you can put 2.5 to 3 servings in one bottle… 10-12 scoops in one 600ml bottle.

It’s a big difference having 243g of energy in a single bottle vs 67g in a bottle of Race.

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

RacePro was designed to be a single bottle feed, in that you can put 2.5 to 3 servings in one bottle… 10-12 scoops in one 600ml bottle.

It’s a big difference having 243g of energy in a single bottle vs 67g in a bottle of Race.

so do you then carry a second  bottle with just water for hydration purposes ? because 2.5-3 servings in one bottle is not going to keep you hydrated enough.

3 hours ago, DroppedRider said:

5 -8 Tablespoons of Sugar Water, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Been a revelation for me especially on hard rides. 

I tried a 2:1 ratio of maltodextrin and caramel sugar and salt. it worked surprisingly well. and cheap as chips. i lobbed in some MCT powder and it turned out pretty palatable.

Another vote for the Hammerhead Karoo. You can configure it to show larger size fonts and the screen is particularly bright.

Garmin software is abysmal. Particularly their sh@$ty phone apps. Thought they’d improved recently and bought my wife a 130 - I can’t even open ConnectIQ on her phone. It just crashes. 

My advice - keep the bolt or get a Karoo.

4 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

Another vote for the Hammerhead Karoo. You can configure it to show larger size fonts and the screen is particularly bright.

Garmin software is abysmal. Particularly their sh@$ty phone apps. Thought they’d improved recently and bought my wife a 130 - I can’t even open ConnectIQ on her phone. It just crashes. 

OUCH ....

Couple of Garmin devices, couple of Samsung phones.

Zero issues with Garmin, Garmin Connect, GarminIQ.

Okay, the Frontrunner 35 was kind enough to show eratic heart rate in month 11.  It was replaced in 2 weeks.

EDIT - would be nice if I could zoom the message font on my watch

Edited by ChrisF

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

so do you then carry a second  bottle with just water for hydration purposes ? because 2.5-3 servings in one bottle is not going to keep you hydrated enough.

Yes, I keep them separated, and even that’s not enough.

20 hours ago, michaelbiker said:

Is the Karoo locally available or only via import?

On 2/12/2024 at 2:44 PM, DroppedRider said:

5 -8 Tablespoons of Sugar Water, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Been a revelation for me especially on hard rides. 

In the past few years I have reverted back to water with about 25% coke . Lately I have tried adding fresh ginger beer instead of coke.

We don't ride for more than 3 hours and not at a flat out pace.

18 minutes ago, I FLY said:

In the past few years I have reverted back to water with about 25% coke . Lately I have tried adding fresh ginger beer instead of coke.

We don't ride for more than 3 hours and not at a flat out pace.

🤢  How does it taste?

On 2/12/2024 at 3:27 PM, dexterdent said:

For what it's worth - I am making my own energy drink using a recipe suggested by someone else on the forum (https://runographer.com/2015/12/homemade-sports-drink-for-the-ultimate-diy-running-nutrition/). It doesn't have optimal fructose:glucose ratio because it was done in 2015 before they figured that out (and I'm not trying to get 120g/hour anyway), but seems to work fine for me with a tiny bit of Oros for taste. And it comes in at like 1/5 the price.

Also, the Karoo Hammerhead is the best gps cycling computer don't believe the garmin fanboys (kidding, get whatever is cheaper, they are all mostly the same). Just don't get a Wahoo HRM strap...

yup...that Tailwind clone drink works for me...and also a user of Karoo Hammerhead

Maybe my question got lost, is the Karoo Hammerhead available in SA or only via import?