Strategies for dealing with cramps and preventing them

Remington

Many good points here and most of the cramp strategies have been covered.

I 110% agree on the genetics as even at my most fit and prepared I still cramp every race and have friends even after a year off and jumping into a VA race totally unfit and eventually getting dropped but still never cramp. 

Yes salt this and electrolyte that may have something to do with cramps but that's more the bad heat or dehydrated cases. But I think this stuff help nothing for a genetic cramper.

The muscle excitement study really does make sense to me, in a training ride no matter how hard the ride is I have never cramped, get to a race and even at lower watts I cramp. In my case rennies was my saving grace, it works magic and I can manage the cramps.

The only 1 tip I can give that I have not seen posted yet is don't change anything race week, don't start loading electrolytes and salt and magnesium right before the race or big ride, too much of a good thing can also be bad and the body doesn't like big change. By all means try slow Mag and electrolytes or any other product like that but rather use to constantly and don't do anything different or crazy race week. 

In the end learn to live with the cramp and manage it on the ride, if you can back off and spin your legs before you cramp you can still go a long way...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, robert124marx@gmail.com said:

At Jonkershoek I do 1052m in 21.51km, but these not a flat section in sight. And I also still het cramps on suikerbossie 😅

Muscle fatigue plays a major role .Nobody cramps in the first hour ,even if you burn your legs in the first 30 minutes .My son is a super fit waterpolo player ,but at tournaments when he plays his all out against good opposition he would start cramping in the latter part of the game .He is the fittest in the team but the only one that cramps regularly .The type of muscle plays a role .Like mesomorphic body  type . I rarely see any of these thin body type people cramp . It is often the more muscular people that i notice cramping 

4 minutes ago, Sven142 said:

Many good points here and most of the cramp strategies have been covered.

I 110% agree on the genetics as even at my most fit and prepared I still cramp every race and have friends even after a year off and jumping into a VA race totally unfit and eventually getting dropped but still never cramp. 

Yes salt this and electrolyte that may have something to do with cramps but that's more the bad heat or dehydrated cases. But I think this stuff help nothing for a genetic cramper.

The muscle excitement study really does make sense to me, in a training ride no matter how hard the ride is I have never cramped, get to a race and even at lower watts I cramp. In my case rennies was my saving grace, it works magic and I can manage the cramps.

The only 1 tip I can give that I have not seen posted yet is don't change anything race week, don't start loading electrolytes and salt and magnesium right before the race or big ride, too much of a good thing can also be bad and the body doesn't like big change. By all means try slow Mag and electrolytes or any other product like that but rather use to constantly and don't do anything different or crazy race week. 

In the end learn to live with the cramp and manage it on the ride, if you can back off and spin your legs before you cramp you can still go a long way...

Hahaha perfect example.. my wife gave me a slow mag once, just for sore muscles after I had done a 75km ride I think it was.. spent the next day on the toilet.. it was a biblical experience that left me quite scarred.. if that had been race day and I had read here to take it for cramps(I’m luckily not a cramper or I don’t push hard enough🤔🤔🤔 but that’s not the point🤷🏼‍♂️) I would have been pissed.!!🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Bichael Dewing said:

Hahaha perfect example.. my wife gave me a slow mag once, just for sore muscles after I had done a 75km ride I think it was.. spent the next day on the toilet.. it was a biblical experience that left me quite scarred.. if that had been race day and I had read here to take it for cramps(I’m luckily not a cramper or I don’t push hard enough🤔🤔🤔 but that’s not the point🤷🏼‍♂️) I would have been pissed.!!🤣🤣🤣

everybody is different.

i take slow mag daily, it helps with muscle twitches when I'm trying to sleep, but before that I took Repleni Mag.

First time I took it I spent the entire night up and down to the toilet emptying the bladder. I tried it again 6 months later and it worked fine, then about 1 month after that it started to irritate the bowels.

So far slo mag has been constant.

Everybody's body is different.

for me, the times I've cramped have always been when I've done efforts the body is not used to, the fitter I've gotten the easier its become to back off and spin through the spasm.

But I seem to recall an article/YT vid a few months back where it was said that doctors have not been able to pin point the exact cause of why people cramp and others dont.

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

everybody is different.

i take slow mag daily, it helps with muscle twitches when I'm trying to sleep, but before that I took Repleni Mag.

First time I took it I spent the entire night up and down to the toilet emptying the bladder. I tried it again 6 months later and it worked fine, then about 1 month after that it started to irritate the bowels.

for me, the times I've cramped have always been when I've done efforts the body is not used to, the fitter I've gotten the easier its become to back off and spin through the spasm.

But I seem to recall an article/YT vid a few months back where it was said that doctors have not been able to pin point the exact cause of why people cramp and others dont.

That’s exactly what I’m saying.. what works for me when I put it in my body might do something terrible for you.. I can eat nuts all day(haha nuts all day🤪) but if you allergic, those nuts are ******* dangerous..

I’ll happily try your slo mag for twitches.. I get that when I’m laying down or sat on the couch in my calves.. hopefully my stomach can handle or learn to handle quickly.. (suppose this kills my argument as you’ve suggested something and it’s my decision to try it or not🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣)

dammit, sorry guys I’ll shut the **** up now.!!😰🤣🤣

Yeah I’m a “spinner”.. I don’t rip the ring out of my cycles, well not many of them.. I see a hill I find a nice gear and I spin until I’m at the top and a little out of breath.. I’ve started sprinting out the saddle up smaller punchier hills but that’s it..🥳🤘🏻

My worst day ever cramping was Sani 2016 day 1. Arrived from Ireland on the Friday before the Tuesday start. Worst cramping I’ve ever had started about 40k’s in and make the next 40k fairly interesting. Day 2 and 3 were fine with zero cramps, although I must have chowed about 30 or 40 of those USN cramp tablets on those days.  I assume that it was a heat and altitude reaction but the nerves theory also makes sense.

16 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

everybody is different.

Interesting that it helps with the muscle twitches while sleeping, I have kicked the jack russel out of bed by mistake with random muscles twitches all the time. The wife says she knows when I have passed out by the legs kicking randomly antics. Will maybe try slowmag again and see if it helps.

That is the real truth is that there are so many things that could cause cramps and in each person it is very different. Same goes for stomach issues, each stomach is different. So what works for others way not work for you as well. You need to try a lot of different things.

On 2/26/2024 at 5:15 PM, Jewbacca said:

Yeah, ENO and Rennies are old wives remedies that  'seem' to assist with cramps, BUT, the proper way to deal with them is to prevent them or limit them to very hard efforts, not every ride.

If the cramps are on the inside of your thigh just above the knee, saddle height might be your problem.

But I still think that shouldn't happen every ride.

Zone 2 easy efforts often are your friend

I have No skin in this here game…

i’m just here to tell you that you better have been klapping zone 2 for 4-hours a week by now and that you also made space on your 20” bike for old wives cramp remedies like ENO and rennie too…

Edited by MORNE

25 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I have No skin in this here game…

i’m just here to tell you that you better have been klapping zone 2 for 4-hours a week by now and that you also made space on your 20” bike for old wives cramp remedies like ENO and rennie too…

I'm well on track, don't you worry!

10 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm well on track, don't you worry!

Will riding in zone 4 for a large portion of a ride be a contributing factor to muscle fatigue and then cramps as a result of muscle fatigue?

7 minutes ago, Remington said:

Will riding in zone 4 for a large portion of a ride be a contributing factor to muscle fatigue and then cramps as a result of muscle fatigue?

Yes... If you're riding in zone 4 'most of the time' you are always revving really high and close to your limit. 

You need to ride in zone 2 a lot to build base fitness and get into zone 4 'occasionally' or on specific efforts, as opposed to most of your riding.

I'm not the best person to ask about this as I am not particularly well versed on the 'up to date' science, but back when I last looked many years ago, intervals and hard efforts should make up about 20% of your training

I don't think its intentional. It depends on the ride. We do a lot of Zone 2 riding but I am now of the opinion looking back to when the cramping starts on my harder rides is when I spend a significant amount of time in zone 4. It depends on the route and elevation we do. Its going to be trial and error to determine the trigger points. 

If the bike fitting turns out to be  correct and electrolytes and diet is on point then its all about riding harder than I have previously trained for hence conditioning.

I was advised by a seasoned cyclist to keep doing that route. He said my rides will improve as I get used to the effort.

My fitting is booked for tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if anything has changed 

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

Interesting that it helps with the muscle twitches while sleeping, I have kicked the jack russel out of bed by mistake with random muscles twitches all the time. The wife says she knows when I have passed out by the legs kicking randomly antics. Will maybe try slowmag again and see if it helps.

I have no medical knowledge, I was advised by someone that it helps and for me at least it has helped.

My wife would tell me in the morning that I was cycling in my sleep again, but the worst part was that the twitches would come just as the body is relaxing right before you fall asleep, that would keep me awake and I just was not getting a good nights sleep.

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I have no medical knowledge, I was advised by someone that it helps and for me at least it has helped.

My wife would tell me in the morning that I was cycling in my sleep again, but the worst part was that the twitches would come just as the body is relaxing right before you fall asleep, that would keep me awake and I just was not getting a good nights sleep.

I have that some days, kick yourself awake as you are passing out. But I also kick away all not regularly. The wife is ok with the twitches, but after big races I am sent to sleep on a rubber sheet in the spare room because I have hellish night sweats after big efforts

Go to gym, lift weights to strengthen the legs, Cupcakes.

Add intervals to your endurance training. Go till you blow!

Cramping is 90 % attributed to the mossels exceeding its capability, either through lack of conditioning or fatigue or both). I suspect Rennies and pickle juice and the rest may carry a placebo effect for the user.

Sleep matters, nutrition is key, let your training effort match your performance goals, add some creatine to your daily routine, expose yourself to the pain cave, and all that.

Sterkte, Bruuuuu!

IMG_1745.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give feedback on my original post

I did the following

I went for another bike fitting. Settings were same as original setting setup. The fitter changed my riding  angle to a more aggressive position by lifting and moving my saddle to reduce the stress on my quads.

2. I changed to using Cadence Carbo. It has electrolytes in the formula 

3. I revisited my nutrition on the ride. Drinking every 15 min and eating every 30 min even when I did not feel like it. I stuck with whole foods not gels

I rode a 50km last week 1060m elevation gain

This past weekend I did the same route except a 70km with 1530m elevation gain.

It was insanely hot both rides well with the temperatures well into the upper 30s. No cramps what so ever on both rides. 

The strategy I have employed seems to be working. I will stick to the 70km route for now on a weekly basis until I feel stronger then add some distance and elevation.

I cannot say that what I did will work for anyone else but its working for me.

Thanks everyone for all the valuable advice and comments