Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Mtree said:

Sure with all the exotic bikes Morne has he could find one that is a bit more practical...

He needs to throw in a chopper or a kids bike or something. All these regular bikes...... pfffft

6 hours ago, MORNE said:

Why not?😅

im continuing my trend of either riding it on something new or  different every year. SS or enduro rig this year☺️

Morne you reall should try it on an e-bike .... 🙈

To keep it interesting .... only use one off 500W.h battery ... 😋

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Morne you reall should try it on an e-bike .... 🙈

To keep it interesting .... only use one off 500W.h battery ... 😋

I literally sold my axs last week for mechanical shifting. Batteries on bicycles…No thanks😅

Edited by MORNE

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

He needs to throw in a chopper or a kids bike or something. All these regular bikes...... pfffft

Ive done it on a size large 26’er? Technically that counts as a kids bike fir me?😜

Just now, MORNE said:

Ive done it on a size large 26’er? Technically that counts as a kids bike fir me?😜

So 2025 is on the vintage road bike then?

7 hours ago, Mtree said:

Sure with all the exotic bikes Morne has he could find one that is a bit more practical...

I should just fall less. I’ve found that i tend to build bikes if i cant ride them haha

4 minutes ago, Mtree said:

So 2025 is on the vintage road bike then?

Or the banshee🤷🏻‍♂️😊
….or whatever I got up to by then?

haha

no, after my cotic comes back from mr Jared, im probably done  for the foreseeable future - or I at least like to tell myself that.

Edited by MORNE

43 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I literally sold my axs last week for mechanical shifting. Batteries on bicycles…No thanks😅

erm, wrong way around? First person that I know of that ditched AXS. The general feedback on it is that if you can afford it get it

2 hours ago, peetwindhoek said:

erm, wrong way around? First person that I know of that ditched AXS. The general feedback on it is that if you can afford it get it

Well now you do haha. And im sure im not the only one out there.

I generally just do what I want and i dont self validate my purchases because the marketing tells me its supposed to be better. I use and make up my own mind how i feel about my things.

I got AXS, used it for a full year, then put together another ‘budget’ SLX build recently and it was just a revelation to me how much i preferred the shift feel on that after riding the tv remote button for a year. The tactility and the mechanical feel just speaks to me in the same way a manual gearbox in a car does. I prefer it. Hey, I have indexed dura ace bar end shifters for my gravel bike🤷🏻‍♂️ the forceful snap/click they make is so satisfying.

I never got on with how axs felt overall. It worked fine, I hated the shifter in particular, and they are waaaaay to sensitive to b-scew adjustment in my opinion, especially on longer travel (rear) bikes.

im weird right? 
nah, i just know what i like.

Edited by MORNE

On 9/24/2023 at 8:38 PM, MORNE said:

Well now you do haha. And im sure im not the only one out there.

I generally just do what I want and i dont self validate my purchases because the marketing tells me its supposed to be better. I use and make up my own mind how i feel about my things.

I got AXS, used it for a full year, then put together another ‘budget’ SLX build recently and it was just a revelation to me how much i preferred the shift feel on that after riding the tv remote button for a year. The tactility and the mechanical feel just speaks to me in the same way a manual gearbox in a car does. I prefer it. Hey, I have indexed dura ace bar end shifters for my gravel bike🤷🏻‍♂️ the forceful snap/click they make is so satisfying.

I never got on with how axs felt overall. It worked fine, I hated the shifter in particular, and they are waaaaay to sensitive to b-scew adjustment in my opinion, especially on longer travel (rear) bikes.

im weird right? 
nah, i just know what i like.

I rather like this.  When I start to consolidate my fleet (which is soon), I think I should also go this route with all my electronic gear bikes.  My garage always looks like some major charging station,  it is time to simplify...

Edited by Johan A Marais

• 2 weeks later...

Flights and accommodation booked and paid for today. Taking the whole family down for 10 days. Arrive on Friday the 8th and leave Sunday the 17th. My folks are driving down so they leave a day earlier so that we have my dad’s caravelle down there because as it is, a 10 day trip to Cape Town for 7 of us is pretty expensive and to hire a car that would take all of us is more than the accommodation. We staying at the waterfront from Friday till Monday so we close to the start and finish. Then from Monday till Sunday we staying at a place in gardens. Wanted to stay at a place called riviera by seapoint but we left it too late and the bigger units were fully booked. My BIL is doing epic so we will probably watch him start and then head to the airport from there. 
luckily my folks have paid for everything, otherwise this would not have been possible.