Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, droo said:

You need to have done 40 before they give you about 10% off.

Although the price this year does include the new chip, since they've changed timing services. Let's see if it comes down next year...

I’ve done 32. Paid R755. 
what is full price?

3 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I’ve done 32. Paid R755. 
what is full price?

looks like its 850 this year, 755 was early early bird entries

Is this the same chip that’s gonna be used for the races leading up to it?

Would we then still need to pay for a temp chip for every race?

This is from the 2023 thread.

actual numbers?

i just got gmail to spit out the entry fee in my inbox for the argus, (none of these are the PPA reduced fee - afaik) I think in 2017 it wasn't increased due to the wind cancelled one, and 2020 it only went up by 10bucks

Turns out the year on year increase evens out to 7.3%

If this is a big thing for you to moan about then the rest of your life must be lekker simple.

image.png.a3194bd04a98ba1c56006b38a80a50e4.png

2023 750
2022 650
2021 595
2020 550
2019 540
2018 510
2017 470
2016 470
2015 430

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Is this the same chip that’s gonna be used for the races leading up to it?

Would we then still need to pay for a temp chip for every race?

I asked these questions to time keepers at a race a few weeks back .... they just smiled and would not talk about the way forward ....

With Winelands and 99er leading up to the Argus it would be nice to get this resolved sooner rather than later.

The heap of boards and chips are getting insane ....  

Uhm ... wait a minute ...

So the same board I bought at Vines and Views .... 🤔

Screenshot_20230920_175228_Chrome.jpg.9e4ef4aacf7545cfd2df1ec8efa0fe45.jpg

At least a good bit smaller than the old Race Tech board ...

20230910_163106.jpg.ccc0ac5016787edf98b5d36ffb35ff7a.jpg

RaceTech

FinishTime

Trailseeker

as a side note ...

NONE in accordance with UCI regulations ...

Wrong font, and minimum 60mm letter height

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Every year we get flack in $ for cutting our back numbers, because it's against UCI rules to modify your number. They refuse to acknowledge that the actual problem is with the numbers supplied... 

Screenshot_20230921-0824422.jpg.7d05d66cac7083786bfbbccd20f013ef.jpg

40 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Every year we get flack in $ for cutting our back numbers, because it's against UCI rules to modify your number. They refuse to acknowledge that the actual problem is with the numbers supplied... 

Obviously I've never had to deal with the marshals on this, so perhaps I'm missing something.
But looks to me that the only thing that would not show is the year and the phone numbers? Compared to the size deemed worthy by the UCI.

Would folding that bottom part up and behind the rest, with some extra pins, count as modifying it?
Or are the officials that pedantic?

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Uhm ... wait a minute ...

So the same board I bought at Vines and Views .... 🤔

Screenshot_20230920_175228_Chrome.jpg.9e4ef4aacf7545cfd2df1ec8efa0fe45.jpg

At least a good bit smaller than the old Race Tech board ...

20230910_163106.jpg.ccc0ac5016787edf98b5d36ffb35ff7a.jpg

RaceTech

FinishTime

Trailseeker

as a side note ...

Wrong font, and minimum 60mm letter height

So we’re actually going to be riding with these massive boards on the front of our road bikes? **** me.

48 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Screenshot_20230921-0824422.jpg.7d05d66cac7083786bfbbccd20f013ef.jpg

Are these double numbers only for the elites? The rest of us get the horizontal single number which is also obnoxiously large for some reason. 

Just now, HdB said:

Would folding that bottom part up and behind the rest, with some extra pins, count as modifying it?
Or are the officials that pedantic?

It does count as modifying, but it's what most of us do anyway because it's so ungainly otherwise. We get some threatening words from officials, but never any action as far as I've heard...

6 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Are these double numbers only for the elites? The rest of us get the horizontal single number which is also obnoxiously large for some reason. 

I think only elites yes. From age cats down is the single number. Our double numbers are each about the same size as those from the other groups, so it's really impossible to fit it onto a skinsuit without modifying, and I'm one of the biggest elite riders at >80kg. Imagine the more typical 65kg rider trying to fit these onto a skinsuit. 😄

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I asked these questions to time keepers at a race a few weeks back .... they just smiled and would not talk about the way forward ....

With Winelands and 99er leading up to the Argus it would be nice to get this resolved sooner rather than later.

The heap of boards and chips are getting insane ....  

Probably because the time keepers don't know yet and details haven't been finalised. 

But as I have it the permanent numbers will be in use from Durbie Dash onwards, so if you buy a board for one of the spring/summer races you can use it permanently incl the cycle tour.

Same timing system they used at the 94.7 ie a board you can fit on the seatpost so you won't have a big mtb board as a timing chip.

Whether there will still be a small board upfront as with recent cycle tours i dont know.

Edit - that was the original plan a few months ago, there might be issues/problems that cause a change of plans.

Edited by Skubarra

54 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Probably because the time keepers don't know yet and details haven't been finalised. 

But as I have it the permanent numbers will be in use from Durbie Dash onwards, so if you buy a board for one of the spring/summer races you can use it permanently incl the cycle tour.

Same timing system they used at the 94.7 ie a board you can fit on the seatpost so you won't have a big mtb board as a timing chip.

Whether there will still be a small board upfront as with recent cycle tours i dont know.

Edit - that was the original plan a few months ago, there might be issues/problems that cause a change of plans.

Problem here is when you enter for durbie dash, there’s no option to buy permanent board. You have to add a disposable chip. 

3 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Problem here is when you enter for durbie dash, there’s no option to buy permanent board. You have to add a disposable chip. 

I see - let me message the organiser, plans might have changed 👍

41 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

So the issue is the permanent boards are not yet available - seems will only be ready for the CTCT.

So all the smaller events leading up to the cycle tour that used Racetec in the past are screwed over by this change - they either need to absorb the cost of the temporary licenses or add the costs to everybody's entry fee if they want timing.

This will also explain the big bump in the entry fee for the CTCT - they are adding the cost of the new timing boards to the fee.

Edited by Skubarra