Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

Just now, MongooseMan said:

Didn't they need hay bales for the right hander off Boyes Drive at Kalk Bay the years the race went over there due to roadworks?

Yes! Well remembered! There were hay bales and a net thing from the railings down to the curb.

There and the right turn up Boyes in Lakeside.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a seasoned cyclist myself and one that has done all of these detours, let me educate all of you 😀.

There was 1 detour over ou kaapse and and then Constantianek. After that, they deemed constantianek too dangerous and rather opted to go back up the M3 again. I think we had 2 or 3 of them up the M3. So if they are going to use the detour, then I’m certain it would be that route and not through Constantia.

The actual route itself went from the M3 onto Boyes Drive, as the road leading into Kalk Bay, Fish Hoek was also under maintenance. So basically we went, M3 to Boyes Drive then over Smits around Misty Cliffs and then instead of going left to Chappies, we went straight over Ou Kaapse. 

That would definitely be how they do it. Going up red hill and then black hill to Ou Kaapse will just be chaos. They wont do that.

8 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

As a seasoned cyclist myself and one that has done all of these detours, let me educate all of you 😀.

There was 1 detour over ou kaapse and and then Constantianek. After that, they deemed constantianek too dangerous and rather opted to go back up the M3 again. I think we had 2 or 3 of them up the M3. So if they are going to use the detour, then I’m certain it would be that route and not through Constantia.

The actual route itself went from the M3 onto Boyes Drive, as the road leading into Kalk Bay, Fish Hoek was also under maintenance. So basically we went, M3 to Boyes Drive then over Smits around Misty Cliffs and then instead of going left to Chappies, we went straight over Ou Kaapse. 

That would definitely be how they do it. Going up red hill and then black hill to Ou Kaapse will just be chaos. They wont do that.

When was constantia nek done? Certainly not the last 25yrs

the argurst is still a long way a way... at the current rate i don't think its the number 1 reason they'd want chapmans peak open.

it looks like winter has finally ended in Cape Town (not holding my breathe) and now we start the tourist boosting period... the financial gain from this would outweigh that of the argurst... so i don't think we need to start planning new routes.

...but then we'd have nothing to talk about on this thread... so as you were

5 minutes ago, Madone69 said:

When was constantia nek done? Certainly not the last 25yrs

I think 2002. That could just be a random guess also but somewhere around that time,

12 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I think 2002. That could just be a random guess also but somewhere around that time,

No. You are mistaken. Racing over the nek has been stopped many years before I even started in late 90s. I don't recall an Argus going over the Nek at all, even when they finished in Camps Bay 

I have done all the detours and all came back via M3.

Edited by Madone69

17 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Admittedly my memory is terrible at the best of times, but I've also done a few and I don't remember this. Wouldn't we have had to go over Chappies (which was closed) but skip Suikerbossie to get to to Constantia nek?

Edit: Sounds interesting though, some day I should take a few days extra and explore a bit.

Edited by HdB

13 minutes ago, Madone69 said:

No. You are mistaken. Racing over the nek has been stopped many years before I even started in late 90s. I don't recall an Argus going over the Nek at all, even when they finished in Camps Bay 

I have done all the detours and all came back via M3.

I am not mistaken mate. It was the first detour year that went over. After that, they ditched the Nek and went up the M3. The reason they gave at the time was that it was too dangerous. It was also the longest Argus route ever. If I recall it was close to 120km.

9 minutes ago, HdB said:

Admittedly my memory is terrible at the best of times, but I've also done a few and I don't remember this. Wouldn't we have had to go over Chappies (which was closed) but skip Suikerbossie to get to to Constantia nek?

Edit: Sounds interesting though, some day I should take a few days extra and explore a bit.

No. After the Nek, you head into Houtbay and go straight over Suikerbossie. It skips Chapmans Peak.

Unless of course they changed the route the same year due to Constantia being too dangerous. It could be something like that. 

But I do clearly remember there was marketing and everything going over the Nek. So either it was 1 year where it did go over or they made a last minute change but the initial plan was to go over there. I

5 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I am not mistaken mate. It was the first detour year that went over. After that, they ditched the Nek and went up the M3. The reason they gave at the time was that it was too dangerous. It was also the longest Argus route ever. If I recall it was close to 120km.

No. After the Nek, you head into Houtbay and go straight over Suikerbossie. It skips Chapmans Peak.

pretty darn sure we never went over constantia nek.

Edit. I see you posted after this.

I remember the marketing/plans, but the race never actually went over the nek. 

Both ou kaaps detours had the same route. Then on later de tours we did boyes only because main road was under construction. rest of the route those years was via chappies.

Edited by The Ouzo

5 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

pretty darn sure we never went over constantia nek.

Edit. I see you posted after this.

I remember the marketing/plans, but the race never actually went over the nek. 

Both ou kaaps detours had the same route. Then on later de tours we did boyes only because main road was under construction. rest of the route those years was via chappies.

Ah okay makes sense now yes. I actually went back to check and I see the distances never increased for those years so they obviously changed the route. 

But yeah, there were definitely plans to go over there. I remember people were also complaining that the extra distance was too much. 

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Ah okay makes sense now yes. I actually went back to check and I see the distances never increased for those years so they obviously changed the route. 

But yeah, there were definitely plans to go over there. I remember people were also complaining that the extra distance was too much. 

You been smokin too much magic cabbage mon!

'I remember... when we used to ride... over Constantia Nek.. in Cape Town.. Good friends we had... good friends we looost.... along... the desceee ee eeentt'

4 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Cycle Tour has never gone over Constantia Nek.