Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, MaMc said:

Let the long range anxious forecast checking commence :)

Screenshot_20240226_220439_Kiwi Browser.jpg

The wind on Saturday past was so bad over Chapman's at times it was so strong I couldn't pedal into it. It was moving my bike around something fierce. Then it started raining for the last 30 km.

Whatever happens on the day, I'm ready. Just not heat. Please just not heat.

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

The wind on Saturday past was so bad over Chapman's at times it was so strong I couldn't pedal into it. It was moving my bike around something fierce. Then it started raining for the last 30 km.

Whatever happens on the day, I'm ready. Just not heat. Please just not heat.

My ride on this side of the Curtain had a bit of everything.

Started out PERFECT !

20km later I was hiding under a tree as it was bucketing down !!!  for 90 seconds.

5km later it came down hard, this time it kept on raining .... I got to Potbelly drenched to the bone ...

Cup of coffee and it all looked good, and I headed out again.

PERFECT weather until I got to Klipheuwel.

Bit of a side wind, but still fine.

From Adderely it was into a proper South Easter !!!  With a few drops at Occultdale ....

No heat though ... had plenty of that in December and January.

Let's see what CTCT dishes up this year.

1 hour ago, dexterdent said:

Sitting in the Oranjezicht at the moment listening to the wind setting off car alarms (again). It was so strong last night that it was lifting heavy curtains through a keyhole in a door. Do you people in the South have any air left?

Morning ride alarm went off at 5am today here. My dogs refused to get out. So did I....

18 minutes ago, waveduke said:

Morning ride alarm went off at 5am today here. My dogs refused to get out. So did I....

Funny that. I had the same problem. My alarm also started buzzing at 5am and I heard the wind, and realized I'm still over trained from the weekend and I had better stay indoors to protect my chest after being caught in the rain on Saturday. One can't be too careful, right?

ahem.

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Funny that. I had the same problem. My alarm also started buzzing at 5am and I heard the wind, and realized I'm still over trained from the weekend and I had better stay indoors to protect my chest after being caught in the rain on Saturday. One can't be too careful, right?

ahem.

"Over trained" - I'm going to use that from now on...

10 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

ahem.

035.JPG

29 minutes ago, throttles said:

@MongooseMan thank you sir..

I’m a patient customer..

but if you could email the CEO of Epic Ride weather and escalate this it would be great..

I mean this is the biggest Global cycling even 🫣🤣🤣🤣

I think I can help you out here... On the day, it will be a south-easter... probably picking up strength as it gets later, but will still have strong gusts throughout the day... Then again, it's Cape Town, so look out the window, and you'll still be only guessing what it'll be like in an hour....

13 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I think I can help you out here... On the day, it will be a south-easter... probably picking up strength as it gets later, but will still have strong gusts throughout the day... Then again, it's Cape Town, so look out the window, and you'll still be only guessing what it'll be like in an hour....

AND .... each time you go around a bend in the route expect a new weather front ....

UHMMMM .... remind me again, why did I work for a decent starting time, and now dropping back 90 minutes for a charity ride ..... 😬  

31 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Comic Sans wasnt working when i mentioned the CEO 😅

21 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

UHMMMM .... remind me again, why did I work for a decent starting time, and now dropping back 90 minutes for a charity ride

the year of the rain I dropped back 30 minutes or something like that, was amongst the best rides I had around the cape. Stronger than everyone around me so pulled them for a looooooong time before I peeled off to wait for my friend. After that it was Zone 1 / Zone 2 to the finish, even stopping for pictures and a toilet stop on Chappies before catching him again before suikers.

If you're not worried about your finish time its a great thing to do.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

the year of the rain I dropped back 30 minutes or something like that, was amongst the best rides I had around the cape. Stronger than everyone around me so pulled them for a looooooong time before I peeled off to wait for my friend. After that it was Zone 1 / Zone 2 to the finish, even stopping for pictures and a toilet stop on Chappies before catching him again before suikers.

If you're not worried about your finish time its a great thing to do.

My biggest worry in my prep is how to mount the rear facing GoPro .... 😛

Winelands and 99er are my "race days".

CTCT is a scenic ride in my calendar.  And with the Pink Train charity, I may just have the best time taking photos along the route.  A friend from Potch is starting a bit earlier, so it may just turn into a very lekker ride.

Can anyone tell me if you can still do a substitution tried looking and their website but it wasn’t very clear - to me have also emailed them and no response yet 

tks