Visiting Jo'burg for a weekend - Recommended MTB trails ?

Hi, going up to Jo'Burg for a short visit; Any suggestions for good fun trails - (staying on kayalami side of town) :-

I will be riding alone - so prefer :

• Very Safe area/trails
  • Lots of single-track
  • Minimum 40km (or more, but under 1000m ascent)

(I'm from CT area/trails - so please not suggestions like Steyn-City - made that mistake once on the pre 94.7, mtb event)

If you're near Kyalami, go to the Leeuwkop prison. Great riding there and you can get about 60kms odd. 

The entrance is near the old golf course clubhouse.

Stay in Cape Town. Not recommended to ride alone in Jhb TBH on the trails unless you are in a secure park. Asidlale is good. Where in Jhb - its a big place.....

Northern Farm is fun but flat.... Pretoria has some nice places like Hennops etc.

Avoid the Spruit unless you are in a posse of armed folks :-). Cradle MTB loop is so ahem if you are from CTN.

Being ex Jhb and now down in CTN its very different up there.... Lot less steep and technical and more XC fast and flat most of the time - there are some exceptions.

If you are determined to ride on your JHB trip, a road ride around the cradle loops is always nice - some good hard riding in there.....

Edited by Paul Ruinaard

2 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Stay in Cape Town. Not recommended to ride alone in Jhb TBH on the trails unless you are in a secure park. Asidlale is good. Where in Jhb - its a big place.....

Northern Farm is fun but flat.... Pretoria has some nice places like Hennops etc.

Avoid the Spruit unless you are in a posse of armed folks :-). Cradle MTB loop is so ahem if you are from CTN.

Being ex Jhb and now down in CTN its very different up there.... Lot less steep and technical and more XC fast and flat most of the time - there are some exceptions.

If you are determined to ride on your JHB trip, a road ride around the cradle loops is always nice - some good hard riding in there.....

Cradle MTB trail is fooked. No trail maintenance other than grass cutting by the current tenderpreneur....plus about 800m has been dug up to lay underground cable -thats probably the best 800m....

3 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Cradle MTB trail is fooked. No trail maintenance other than grass cutting by the current tenderpreneur....plus about 800m has been dug up to lay underground cable -thats probably the best 800m....

i saw when i was up there. Sad but true. I was thinking that the cradle road loop is probably a nice thing to do - even on an MTB... Cradle road riding is a good 60 to 70 burn with some nice hills in it...

Cradle road loop is cool and Ido it twice a week but for MTB the ride from Bidon to Magaliesburg on dirt roads and the odd footpath is really nice. 93km odd if you do full there and back.

9 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Spruit def no. Hennops is good. 

9 hours ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Taroko Trails

Cradle Moon

Love Takaro. 

Hate Cradle Moon...🤣