Casette upgrade

CraigD'

On 4/8/2024 at 3:02 PM, sirmoun10goat said:

What makes you think an 11-42 is an upgrade? Wide cassettes were designed for a 1x setup. With your 3x, I think this would be more frustrating than beneficial 

Shimano’s 11-42 /11-40 cassettes were designed for 2x10 and 2x11

58 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

10 speed was designed to be agnostic to mounting direction 

Does this mean the chains are ignorant, non-committal, or feel that the correct direction is just unknowable? Do they just not believe in a right (or wrong) direction, or that a direction even exists? Is there even a cassette? What is a cassette even? 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Shimano’s 11-42 /11-40 cassettes were designed for 2x10 and 2x11

These cassettes yes, but I’m referring to the concept of the wide range cassettes. These came about when SRAM launched the 10-42. My reading of the OPs question is that he believes a wide range cassette is an upgrade. It’s only an upgrade in the correct circumstances, and highly unlikely to be beneficial with a 3x

I am with Sir on this one. If you currently have a 3x in the front then why bother with more range at the back?

To explain my point: there's no particular hill or combination of hills in Gauteng where you will need to use your 22/42T & still be upright. If you're struggling to pedal up a particular climb there's no shame in getting off to push, increasing the range will just increase your cadence and slow you down 

Thanks for the insight. I had no idea it could be this detailed. Just shows, the depth of the sport if one really wants to at the cutting edge. Much appreciated. 

10 minutes ago, CraigD' said:

Thanks for the insight. I had no idea it could be this detailed. Just shows, the depth of the sport if one really wants to at the cutting edge. Much appreciated. 

We didn’t need anything more than 3x8. Those groups sets just worked and worked and worked. 
things got really complicated with 10speed onward.

the main challenge with 3x is the availability of quality spare chain rings. Shimano is in short supply so it’s mostly aftermarket options.

21 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

And because 11 speed chains were designed to be unidirectional whereas 10 speed was designed to be agnostic to mounting direction 

So they can both be mounted either way?.......... 😎

On 4/8/2024 at 1:07 PM, CraigD' said:

Hi everyone, I'm a social cyclist making use of a mountain bike so that I can do basic off-road and road riding. My casette is showing signs of wear, so the thought of upgrading a bit crossed my mind. Currently 10 speed 11-34. See pic. The question is, what range within 10 speed can I upgrade to?

Will 11-42 be compatible without changing other components?

C

20240408_124236.jpg

I agree with the comments re 3X front means you don't normally need a bigger cassette. If some steep hills are too much for you - and you have a 24 upfront, then a 36 at rear was popular. And , yes, a 36 cassette will fit because of your long derailleur cage.

But you could also change to a 22 up front - Still cheaper that changing cassettes.

Personally, the cassette in the pic still looks good to me.

Edited by Max Headroom

With a 22 upfront and a 42 at the rear, you won't be going anywhere. Your legs will be spinning like crazy and you won't be moving forward. 

You'll probably just fall over