Event do's and don'ts ?

Christoffels

There is much advice for route and other issues.

The next important thing is parking apart from security there is nothing more frustrating than parking if you need to look for a spot to park. If possible make sure there are some parking blocks to ensure possible quick entrance, if there are a long queue for parking and just one parking spot you will have some complaints.

3 hours ago, mazambaan said:

My little contribution; make sure you have a good medical team and the appropriate insurances in place. May never be needed but you can't afford (I think) to skimp here. Now we start to know why race entires become expensive.  Agree about the optional medals (tick on your entry?) and have plenty water plus a weather contingency plan; alternative routes etc.  Invite food, coffee and bike shops etc to have stands but (I would say) for free.

Think of the best organised race you have particpated in and see if the organisers will share with you; spreadsheet checklists and contacts? Long shot maybe.

Typically with races held on public roads, a risk/safety assessment needs to be done and submitted to the local government for approval, and in there proof of medical backup is mandatory. Frankly, it's completely unacceptable if there isn't medical backup. And remember, the amount of ambulances/medical staff on site is FIELD dependant. I can't remember the exact number, but I get the feeling it's one ambulance per 20 people, but someone like @Frosty but correct me.

13 minutes ago, betaboy said:

I applaud your efforts…. Bring back the patch! In the States this is still alive… let’s keep up with trends.👌🏻

Patch?

13 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

They are expensive, so this might not always be easy.

get one of these for every 6 enclosed loos. will really free up the queue.

EHS-Full-20190112-_8507461_0000_Layer%205-5de4b3e637580.jpg

assuming it's a mtb race, make sure the route is marked with both lime arrows on the ground and direction boards. 

only release the gpx of route once you have confirmed it. If you don't have 99% confidence of the route then get that sorted first if possible. Nothing worse than someone loading version 1.2 of the route on wednesday to their garmin when you have version 1.4 on race day. people will think their electronics will never lie.

Just another thing to consider. Market it as a fun ride, thus saving on timing costs, having a timing company is somewhat expensive as mentioned and also saving costs associated with CSA like one day race fees. Going the formal route is quite expensive as some members mentioned like safety plans, timing, medical etc. You can make your own race numbers with manual timing (stopwatch for start and people finish note number and time. Although it can be made as a fun ride as mentioned medical assistance is a must and there is no workaround.

Good Luck

8 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Just another thing to consider. Market it as a fun ride, thus saving on timing costs, having a timing company is somewhat expensive as mentioned and also saving costs associated with CSA like one day race fees. Going the formal route is quite expensive as some members mentioned like safety plans, timing, medical etc. You can make your own race numbers with manual timing (stopwatch for start and people finish note number and time. Although it can be made as a fun ride as mentioned medical assistance is a must and there is no workaround.

Good Luck

Not super clued up on that side of the organising but I do know that if your event is CSA sanctioned then public liability insurance is included, if the organiser have to buy that separately it can be quite expensive. Guess it depends on how big you want to go, a small event can get away without CSA easier.

13 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Good Luck

Yeah stay away from CSA, freakin waste of time…. They can suck the sealant from a bad puncture! 

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

assuming it's a mtb race, make sure the route is marked with both lime arrows on the ground and direction boards. 

only release the gpx of route once you have confirmed it. If you don't have 99% confidence of the route then get that sorted first if possible. Nothing worse than someone loading version 1.2 of the route on wednesday to their garmin when you have version 1.4 on race day. people will think their electronics will never lie.

Point in case - last year an event outside Ashton the one farmer changed approvals the night before the event !!  Caused a fair bit of issues ....

Have to feel for organisers trying to negotiate all these hurdles.

15 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Point in case - last year an event outside Ashton the one farmer changed approvals the night before the event !!  Caused a fair bit of issues ....

Have to feel for organisers trying to negotiate all these hurdles.

Oef, that's a bit brash from the farmer, would love to know his version of the story.

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

x1000 on the urinal. such a simple solution that will resolve alot of the queueing issues 

From my personal experience trying to organize a MTB race/ride in the Klipkraal Conservancy near the Vaaldam in Gauteng:

• Official/Sanctioned/Bylaws/Insurance: Not worth it. So much hassle, external influences and added costs that you quickly realize why existing races have such expensive fees. You need a large sponsor to accommodate the above.

• Kerkbasaar-style race: Assume the risk of organizing a non-approved (Legal framework, CSA and insurance) event, with serious consequences if someone gets hurt and wants to due for negligence.

If you are willing to do the Kerkbasaar option, some Do's:

1. Inform people upfront that the event is not a registered event, and they should have their own insurance/medical aids. Use a guise of 'fundraising' if needed.
  2. The venue should already be equipped to host functions, wedding venues are your best bet. Use the venue's max people as the guideline to your entrants. They should already be equipped with toilets, parking, food and a licensed bar. Let the venue sort out all these aspects.
  3. 1.5 liter water per rider at each water point as minimum.
  4. Let your sponsors organize everything else at the water points. 
  5. For a 40-50 km MTB ride, you need at least 3 medical personnel + equipped ambulance. They should have access to the entire route and a spare quad bike/bakkie, and should have reception.
  6. Route marking needs to be 3 times: Two days before by walking, one day before by someone unfamiliar with the route and actually riding it, and lastly on the morning before the race.
  7. You need volunteers at every possible gate/intersection trail start to guide riders. A high-school kid with an umbrella and cellphone is perfect.
  8. Medals: You will never get it right anyway, so just leave it. 
  9. Don't try to organize 'Live Music' after the race, its a hassle. Just get the venue's speakers to play 80's music for some atmosphere.