Advice on buying a gravel bike

_David_

I am looking at buying a Giant Revolt. I can get both of them for almost the same price.

Revolt 2 2020 - Carbon Frame with Shimano 105
Revolt 1 2022 -  Aluminum frame with Shimano GRX

16 minutes ago, _David_ said:

I am looking at buying a Giant Revolt. I can get both of them for almost the same price.

Revolt 2 2020 - Carbon Frame with Shimano 105
Revolt 1 2022 -  Aluminum frame with Shimano GRX

There are hubbers on here who are far more knowledgeable on these things than me.

The one key difference I know off is that the 2022 version should be able to fit wider tyres (53mm vs 45mm), for me its worthwhile to have that option if you are planning to cycle where the terrain is very bad. 

I would opt for the carbon frame as I would think the compliance would be better than that of aluminium. You can always upgrade groupset later on of you not happy it, aslo confirm tyre clearance as previous post suggested as bigger is better.

Edited by warick_wrx

8 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

There are hubbers on here who are far more knowledgeable on these things than me.

The one key difference I know off is that the 2022 version should be able to fit wider tyres (53mm vs 45mm), for me its worthwhile to have that option if you are planning to cycle where the terrain is very bad. 

I have the mtb if the terrain gets a bit rough. Most of the riding 80-90% will be on tar roads and 20 -10% on dirt roads.

I'd go for the 2022. It can accommodate wider tyres. 

Edited by El Duderino

I'd take the Aluminium 2022 model. 

• Wider tyre clearance as mentioned before (I think the older ones could only do 42mm, or 45mm with no mud clearance). Having that option is lekker down the line.
  • The aluminium version is plenty comfy, one of the comfiest bikes I've ridden and I've had carbon, steel, and aluminium gravel bikes.
  • 105 groupset doesn't have a clutch derailleur, which the GRX does. Having a clutch makes a big difference in how quiet the bike is even with relatively mild gravel.

If you’re gonna be doing any off road riding, then I wouldn’t use a bike with Shimano 105. Your chain will be bouncing all over the place. 

As someone who has the 2020 carbon Revolt I can tell you that the biggest issue on that bike (which also isn't an issue, depending on how you use it) is the 105 Road brake levers. You can't adjust the lever pull on those brakes so to improve your braking you need to set the pads super close to the disk which isn't ideal on a gravel bike. The result is that it's difficult to descend on a steep, bumpy trail with your hands on the hoods and 2 fingers on the brakes as you don't get enough brake actuation. You need to then go into the drops and it puts your neck under strain hyper-extending to look up. I've done some knarly stuff on my bike including some MTB trail in Bottelary Hills and the rear derailleur and chain has never been an issue. It's never even dropped a chain.

If you're not going to do anything that rough with your gravel bike then none of this will be an issue for you. Mine is still going strong after many miles 🤙

As noted, the lack of a clutch derailleur on the 105 can be decisive.

I would not be overly worried about the weight of a gravel bike, as long as it is not too heavy (over 10kgs). I used to faff about the weight of mine, but then on every decent 4-5 hour ride one adds 2-3 water bottles, food, and half a kilo of tools, tubes, bombs etc, Once it is in "camel mode", that extra you spent on a light weight handlebar or seat post, seems ridiculous.

Edited by Baracuda

To be honest I'm not worried about the weight at all. My concern with aluminum was that I'd heard it was more prone to fatigue and cracking, and that it loses its stiffness. However, this doesn't seem to be a significant issue.

1 minute ago, lukelockie said:

Are you buying new or second hand?

New