VETS WORLDS SELECTIONS 2008

Andre Engelbrec

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mclean is a vet selector as far as i know. Garrett should be in, Enzo a reserve??, and a former druggie also a reserve??

Guest colonel

Thought exactly the same as you on this selection GL. Looks like McCleans mates are in??

Does anyone know the selection criteria? Perhaps that will explain things better. Going on results I've been following from major events in recent months, including SA road champs, that team looks about right to me...

I think they took the SA road champs results, position 1-5.

The 30-34 team looks right, Jaco & Jock are the strongest riders there, and Christo Botha is the current SA champ. Dave Garret is also strong, but in a team of 3, if you put him in, you would have to leave out Christo.

In the 35-39 group, Werner Moolman & Marco van Biljoen are the strongest riders imo.

Andrew McLean is Not a selector, which is a pity, as it seems that the selections were made to take the first three medal takers at SA's, and then the next two or three for reserves.

And That is NOT a true refelction of the strongest riders in the respective age groups, I'm afraid!!!

Have to agree with Christie there, it's absolutely SCANDLOUS that Werner Moolman & Marco von Biljoen were not included in the 35-39 Age group

Not to "stirr the pot" here but isn't that one of the purposes of National Champs Crux. Shouldn't the Champs then be over a few different courses and maybe 3 different events etc to get a true reflection of riders abilities etc.

I kinda makes a mockery of the Nationals if we are nt getting the best riders coming through. I know it is also difficult with team involvement and help in stronger teams which is theoretically NOT supposed to play a role, but surely it does.

Anyway, just my 2c

Yup, I chatted to Andrew about it the other day, he is not a selector.

Seems like the selections were based only on the results at nationals.  Maybe a bit more transparency about selection criteria would be nice.

National champs need to be selected, no doubt about that, but I think this year there has been enough quality Vets racing for the selectors to get a good view of who the best riders are, consistently.

Not to "stirr the pot" here but isn't that one of the purposes of National Champs Crux. Shouldn't the Champs then be over a few different courses and maybe 3 different events etc to get a true reflection of riders abilities etc.

I kinda makes a mockery of the Nationals if we are nt getting the best riders coming through. I know it is also difficult with team involvement and help in stronger teams which is theoretically NOT supposed to play a role' date=' but surely it does.

Anyway, just my 2c
[/quote']

Agreed, the national champ should certainly be selected - he is the rider that produced the goods on the day!  Which is very much what a Worlds scenario would be - a one-off race.

Certainly for us, the team was split up over the age groups, Jock was alone and it was only Marco and Craig in 35-49 - so team strength was not a huge factor.

Given that the national champ gets automatic selection, the rest of the team should be selected based on consistency over the season.  I know that requires some effort.  All of us in Absolute Systems-Bulk Pack Meat have been racing Elite a lot, and all of us have had top 10's and even some podiums in Elite.

Maybe they should consider using the rider pool as part of selections - i.e. have the riders vote who they think the best performer has been over the season.

Bruce, shouldn't there be some sort of trails then?

The problem as I see it ( as a complete outsider and uninformed person, I admit) is having a National Championship at all, which will then always create a problem with selection. I guess it's an inherent problem with a sport that is both a team and an individual sport. I mean, if we ratjher used a National Race results e.g. the Vets Superseries ladder systema nd take the top 3 or 4 in each class, that will also cause problems won't it - the strongest teams will then have most of the top riders and better riders may not be selected.