Frozen Toes

The Ouzo

Yesterday my toes were aching from the cold, so this morning I put little plastic bags over my socks before putting my feet in my shoes. This worked great for a while, but then my feet started to sweat and the sweat had nowhere to go, the sweat then got cold and my toes got cold again. Not nearly as bad as yesterday but not ideal. Especially seeing as though the temps did not drop below 3deg this morning.

Other than buying booties, what other options can I experiment with ?

I'm going to try the 2 pairs of socks option next.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Yesterday my toes were aching from the cold, so this morning I put little plastic bags over my socks before putting my feet in my shoes. This worked great for a while, but then my feet started to sweat and the sweat had nowhere to go, the sweat then got cold and my toes got cold again. Not nearly as bad as yesterday but not ideal. Especially seeing as though the temps did not drop below 3deg this morning.

Other than buying booties, what other options can I experiment with ?

I'm going to try the 2 pairs of socks option next.

Toe covers and use some strong insulation tape or duct tape to close the ventilation holes under the shoe.

Unlike booties tow covers are relatively cheaper and compact enough to take off and store in your jersey pocket when the temp increases.

1 minute ago, Kom said:

You need a job that supports afternoon rides 🤣

I need a job that supports my cycling obsession, period. Its a challenge with the current job just to keep the maintenance up on the equipment I already have, let alone getting new equipment.

But, I actually prefer morning rides, by the time the afternoon rolls around I've had time to thing of a million excuses not to go out on the bike.

The other option, use a small/medium ziplock type bag, that covers your toes and arch of the foot, not the entire foot. 

That will allow it to vent some of the "sweat" and you not sealing the foot from ventelation. 

Sock > plastic > sock works as well, and tape up the vents of the shoe

3 minutes ago, leon_pro said:

The other option, use a small/medium ziplock type bag, that covers your toes and arch of the foot, not the entire foot. 

That will allow it to vent some of the "sweat" and you not sealing the foot from ventelation. 

This is the setup I had this morning

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

This is the setup I had this morning

Okay toe caps it is. 
Good luck. 
CPT winter is coming soon for us

I have tried a lot of DIY options over the years and unfortunately there is no substitute for an overshoe. They are expensive I know, and you only need them for a bit of the year, but I promise you that they will make riding in the cold better. Not necessarily pleasant, but better. If you can keep your hands and feet warmer it improves your winter riding experience and makes you safer. There isn't much less pleasant than numb feet slowly defrosting...

Temo have for ZAR 96.00
Anatomic for ZAR 299.00
Spez for ZAR 690.00
and and and. Note the 96ZAR is the same as the 690 ZAR. Same thing different print.

Velotoze do a great Toe Cover that will block the cold air on the front of the shoe.

There's other options as well like Short Shoe Covers if you're looking for warmth and aero gains and Tall Shoe Covers if you're riding in the rain.

Check them out on https://velotoze.co.za/

My sequence...

Two socks

Neoprene socks

Two socks + neoprene

Two socks, neoprene and some newspaper around the socks

thanks guys, looks like Toe Caps is the way to go. Cant believe that such a small piece of neoprene can cost so much though.