Cederberg circuit in winter

I am very interested in something like this, But would want to SlackPack it as a first parse before buying tents etc  

So eat and sleep at lodges. and  Just carry clothes and days foods. 

Are any others keen to share the planning work on this and share the plan for others to follow in their own time?  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NC_lurker said:

Sounds interesting. Please could you share the route map... Strava, GPX, Google Maps, whatever's easiest.

Here's a link to My Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1j8i1VnL2FIAHf0cHGkx9kbMPTYGMOx0&usp=sharing

Don't let the distances fool you, there's some big climbs in there. If you're using a Gravel bike, make sure to change your gear ratios at the rear. I was running an old school triple up front and used granny a lot.

This was my & my wife's setup for this route. She was on an ebike.

Scott_Scale_loaded.jpg

Wuppertal_view.jpg

Cathy_Orbea.jpg

13 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1j8i1VnL2FIAHf0cHGkx9kbMPTYGMOx0&usp=sharing

Don't let the distances fool you, there's some big climbs in there. If you're using a Gravel bike, make sure to change your gear ratios at the rear. I was running an old school triple up front and used granny a lot.

Great, thanks 👍 

Yup, when I did the standard Cederberg circuit on my gravel bike fully loaded with camping equipment etc I added a derailleur hanger extender so that I could run a 42 cassette on my 2x setup.

7 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Great, thanks 👍 

Yup, when I did the standard Cederberg circuit on my gravel bike fully loaded with camping equipment etc I added a derailleur hanger extender so that I could run a 42 cassette on my 2x setup.

25 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

This was my & my wife's setup for this route. She was on an ebike.

Scott_Scale_loaded.jpg

Wuppertal_view.jpg

Cathy_Orbea.jpg

Excellent, thanks, based on your earlier comments, I ran this thru RWGPS and came out with same route!! Saw the totoal distance, and thought pfftttt, nothing....then saw the profile!!! Errrr....

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 12.34.12.png

A friend and I did the circuit 2 years back. Parked at a friend just after op-die-berg the Friday afternoon, and rode to citrusdal.  Stayed in cheap accommodation. What we did is order food from spar in advance, including wood and braaied the evening.  

Day 2 rode to oasis. They have TP huts so no need to camp and the restaurant is open till late. 

Day 3 rode back to op-die-berg.

Was a lekker trip, Day 2 was hard, but beers are rewarding!

3 hours ago, nonky said:

Not sure whether posted before - site needs work but there is info and a hi-res downloadable map

https://capecycleroutes.co.za/route/cederberg-circuit

cederberg route.pdf 15.59 MB · 0 downloads

it's a high res map with not much useful stuff.

there's essentially three cederberg loops:

*the capecycle route cederberg circuit

image.png.685d65cecae0c232a8a1e426a8d1b995.png

*you can take the purple shortcut from algeria to the niewoudt pass

*the wuppertal supercircuit as on this original map.

okes ride them in a single day (ie. the ceder)

4 days is a comfortable ride for most people, although you might have one day longer than the other three.

2 days/3 is more challenging but totally doable depending how much chill time you want.

13 hours ago, milky4130 said:

There is also this 2 day event for Gravel & MTB's, 19-20 October, relatively cheap for what you are getting.

https://www.entryninja.com/events/80074

image.png.9bf2579ba8c559c68c9221692b284a90.png

image.png.dd4e26198ef5ec7a1d2d8c4e6daf7e52.png

I suppose it depends what you want from an event. If you have never been to the cederberg before, don't have camping gear and want a tour type race, then this is could be cool. 

Since this is the DIY type thread you could park the car in Clanwilliam and out and back to Oasis, for some ribs and a bed. If you get hungry along the way there are shops at sanddrif/algeria. Waay cheaper, but no t-shirt and goodie bags.

As far as I know Uitkyk pass is closed. Weather destroyed it. Maybe phone somewhere and see if it has reopen.

5 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

As far as I know Uitkyk pass is closed. Weather destroyed it. Maybe phone somewhere and see if it has reopen.

Oooeerr...that's a spanner!

1 minute ago, MongooseMan said:

Jaaaa!!😁 Nothing against WAS and it's a great production, all of their stuff is great but those okes had a car follow them, basically no gear and glamped all the way...nice if you can coax the SO to do this!😆 Not gonna happen.

Just now, capediver said:

Jaaaa!!😁 Nothing against WAS and it's a great production, all of their stuff is great but those okes had a car follow them, basically no gear and glamped all the way...nice if you can coax the SO to do this!😆 Not gonna happen.

Agreed, but at least the video gives a nice view of some of the climbs, which are hard to put into perspective otherwise.