Uswe Outlander 2 Hydration Pack

Johan1983

How comfortable is a Hydration pack for long rides?

Any strain on your back?

10 minutes ago, Johan1983 said:

Any strain on your back?

I suspect this is a personal preference thing, you wont really know until you try it - maybe a good idea to borrow one if you can before buying if you are concerned.

Personally I find them comfortable to wear and haven't had any back issues.

I've got an USWE Outlander pack and I find it very comfortable to wear.

What I dislike about the USWE is that it moves up and hits my helmet once the bladder is empty because it sits so high on the back. I guess it depends on your position on the bike and how your utilize the straps. Might be a non-issue for other people.

Also with the 2l there is not much space besides the bladder. I can squeeze in a key - maybe a cellphone.

1 hour ago, Johan1983 said:

Any strain on your back?

Very comfortable. Not a problem at all.

And I have lower back issues on long rides. Completely unrelated to the USWE. The water pack doesn't make any difference.

the running packs are very comfy, particularly the 10L and 15L one from Decathlon… and at amazing prices 

have done many rides with them and can guarantee they work

I hated the idea of a hydration pack.

Once I started doing long rides I had no choice but to get one.

NICE !!

I have since gotton a larger one, not for more water, but for more packing space during winter rides.  As the ride heats up I now have space to store the layers of clothing.

Sure, a frame that allows for two large bottles is a better option, but for the rest a hydration pack does a good job.

1 hour ago, waveduke said:

I've got an USWE Outlander pack and I find it very comfortable to wear.

What I dislike about the USWE is that it moves up and hits my helmet once the bladder is empty because it sits so high on the back. I guess it depends on your position on the bike and how your utilize the straps. Might be a non-issue for other people.

Also with the 2l there is not much space besides the bladder. I can squeeze in a key - maybe a cellphone.

I have the Uswe Outlander 3 1.5l, what is really useful is the pouch you have the option to click on, I keep all my tools in there if I do a long ride with the Uswe. I guess that extra weight helps with the moving up because I have never had that issue.

I've got the outlander 3, and agree that they are very comfy.

also agree with @waveduke about touching the helmet.

Only downside is that the strap goes right over the highspot on my collarbone repair which gets a little uncomfortable and I need to adjust the strap every now and again. 

I have the Airborne 3 - its very comfortable - Also has the additional clipon pouch which i would only use on longer rides is a nice feature - But like others have said, with a full bladder there not much else you can fit inside - I can get my cell phone and car keys on the inside pouch - Spare AXS battery is hidden in there somewhere as well. But i'm a less is more believer, the more pockets you have the more cr#p you will pack in.

It has a zip system to fill it up so its easier to clean and i think the mouth piece is far better than Kamelbak

But some points before you buy

1. Local prices are insane, i bought mine on my last trip to UK was 1/3 of the price.

2. Not sure if this is offered locally, but when i bought mine i could choose a size in terms of harness - I got the XL (cause i'm a phatass) and its set at max and still fairly tight and took some getting used to.

So I would first try the fit before you buy 

Edited by madmarc

Hydration packs are very comfortable. Everyone has improved their straps and made their traction better.

I have several ranging from 30year old Camelback Rogue, 20year old Mule to a smaller pack I cant remember the model name and an USWE Outlander 2. although I like the no dancing monkey idea its not a real gamechanger but since I paid <R1000 to import it direct form USWE in 2019 I thought its was great value. The bladder is no where near as nice as a camelbak bladder an now they cost R3000-00 from Sportsmanswarehouse so I won't be purchasing another USWE. That's just way too expensive when Camelbak is still the benchmark and Decathlon have high quality options at 1/3 of that price. Those are super too btw!