Paris olympics 2024

Shebeen

this is on a decent timezone for the first time since london2012 (and with LA and brisbane coming up next, now is the time to binge)

Anyone you want to get excited about?

please include details on any athletes ranked top10 in the world. 

our 4x400m mens relay looks like it could be in with a sniff.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where to watch? 

SABC website is, perhaps predictably, entirely useless. No cycling scheduled for Sunday (Women's XC) or Monday (Men) at all that my SABC skills have managed to unearth. 

Which brings me to Showmax. Apparently (one) mobile device only (because, FWICG, in Showmax logic, you need the Premier League package).

Anyone know any more about where/how (and by avoiding lying about my geographical position; way too complex with a network of home and business devices)? 🤷‍♂️

21 hours ago, tinmug said:

Where to watch? 

SABC website is, perhaps predictably, entirely useless. No cycling scheduled for Sunday (Women's XC) or Monday (Men) at all that my SABC skills have managed to unearth. 

Which brings me to Showmax. Apparently (one) mobile device only (because, FWICG, in Showmax logic, you need the Premier League package).

Anyone know any more about where/how (and by avoiding lying about my geographical position; way too complex with a network of home and business devices)? 🤷‍♂️

DSTV boet. 

Don't have DSTV, don't have any need for it outside cycling once every four years.

We have some magical trails here in Africa, but sometimes living here really is annoying. 

If someone has all the dates and times of the cycling events, perhaps we can pin it to the opening post for easy access.

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

If someone has all the dates and times of the cycling events, perhaps we can pin it to the opening post for easy access.

WhatsAppImage2024-07-24at08_06_53.jpeg.62f7b6e6228a48fabef6fda99dc6fec7.jpeg

We have more than a sniff at ladies' swimming 100m and 200m breaststroke. I also think we may have sniff at ladies' mountain biking and maybe the men's. The rest, except for the relay team, I am not sure about. Let ius hope.

Start today with rugby 7's. Go South Africa

On 7/23/2024 at 12:34 PM, tinmug said:

Where to watch? 

SABC is free to air and streaming, https://www.sabcsport.com/tv/live but as you say it might only be one channel and who knows what. I checked it during the sevens last night and they had Ngr v Bra womens football and not the blitzboks. maybe they switch over.

Your easiest bet is to get a dstv login from someone who doesn't use it.

I haven't looked at the showmax option, but the top package is R99 pm. that's surely affordable for a month and cancel move?

you can always just get a vpn and watch a free stream from other countries who have this all set-up without paywalls. but good luck working out that schedule.

Thanks for the detailed reply @Shebeen.

The SABC schedule – so far – doesn't list the XCO races (too white?). But yay we can watch BMX racing. 🙄 Showmax appears to be mobile device only 🤬 and then I cannot even get confirmation that they'll show the XCO races (likely will be broadcast). 

Last time I parted with money to watch DSTV I needed a wok to point at the sky. I see they offer streaming now. Welcome to the Noughties. Had a squiz at their skeds and can't find out which channel XCO will be on for Sunday and Monday.

Anyone know?

Next step will be to sign up for the cheapest streaming deal to watch, well, two races. Or fly to Paris (while cursing the SABC and all the licence fees they've been paid over a lifetime). 🙂

Have discovered DSTV needs the full package. No shortcuts there. Greedy MFs. 

Quick question for those using a VPN: which feed for Olympics XCO (in English)? 

Edited by tinmug

only discovered last night that there are actually loads of dstv streaming channels. 200-210, then 217.

but go to 240-250 and they have plenty more when there's lots on.

On 7/26/2024 at 9:57 AM, tinmug said:

Have discovered DSTV needs the full package. No shortcuts there. Greedy MFs. 

Quick question for those using a VPN: which feed for Olympics XCO (in English)? 

tiz cycling probably

OR it might actually be on https://www.sabcsport.com/tv/live but only one channel and it's normally teamsports.

Edited by Shebeen

Tatjana is the hot favourite for gold tonight, swimming straight after pieter coetzee @ 9:10pm

the official website is a hack, but here are summaries for local athletes today 

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/paris-olympics-when-team-sa-tatjana-smith-in-action-monday/

Secondly, this is of course the events that Penny Heyns did the double in 1996. The winning time from then wouldn't even make the semifinals in Paris. There was an excerpt with her reflecting back on those days. Even though she was at a top US university they had loads still to learn (ie. nutrition = lots and lots of pasta) 

On 7/26/2024 at 8:31 AM, Dusty said:

It would be sweet for the Blitzbokke to beat the French in the semi. Particularly if it is by 1 point😋

Not to be, unfortunately. A challenging 3rd place for us at the end.