In loving memory of Tim Brink

DieselnDust

Yeah that was a fitting send off, he basically planned  it himself and left the execution up to David Bellairs and Carola I believe.

the hints at Monty python in the song choice were typically Tim, found myself holding the tjank back a few times as we were both massive fans of the pythons, Hutchinson and Monty.

someone asked me when I met Tim but the furthest I can draw back to is a cross country race in sedgefield circa early 90’s. Might have been earlier when i casualled at a bike shop, the memory is a bit frazzled probably due to age but also likely hitting the old noggin too many times on the trail. 
Ffwd to 2004/2005 and we’re training for the  cape epic. At this point also known as the terrible Tim’s on the warthogs mailing list, as the razor wits kinship aligned on a common goal, similarly riding ACE with a pro partner. Fortunately for me mine had to bale, but his was more eager than a school kid waiting on the ice cream man. By March he was terrified and we had to cram extra rides in after departing Riebeeck street to kommetjie and back. The things he did to avoid traffic.

the comedy show our epics turned into was still spoken about over Vida coffee until the very last.

we enjoyed a good skinna about the latest industry gossip and the “meeting of retailers “ always delivered stomach cramping laughter at the stupidity of posting minutes of a collusive meeting on bikehub. Who posts anything that personal on bikehub?!??!

his lack of desire to ride the cape epic never diminished his enthusiasm for writing about it. No matter the magazine or media he had a unique way of drawing you in, in less than 500 words (private joke) , and the 10pm phone call to test the entry system…

just scanning across the church to see who attended was quite revealing as even peeps who might not have spoken for years found time to share about the loss of Tim.

It was a fitting farewell

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Please, go for PSA tests and prostate finger test if you need to as well. Early detection saves lives.

My father's kidney cancer was picked up as part of a MRI scan for a slipped disc. Stage 4 already. I'ts nearly two years later and he is still giving the middle finger to that dooming news. 

F*CK CANCER. 

Got floored by flu last week and ended up at the doc for a prescription to get the chest cleared up. While there he decided to book me for a PSA screening and other age typical checks. Apart from a slightly elevated cholesterol count at the time, everything else came back normal, including the PSA result. I think I might go visit a dermatologist to check one or two spots on my face and back. I've got a history of sunburn from being a surfer, and riding in the sun in summer doesn't help.

I pray that your dad beats his kidney cancer. 

Met Tim in basic training PD School 1987. Our cycling got us off basics and army in general via the Defence Force cycling team. I'll never forget him on his Canary yellow Merckx which I told him was a de facto Colnago as Ernesto taught Eddie the art (he begrudgingly agreed!). Also remeber well the 2 of us getting chased by an enraged Pretoria motorist that we flipped the bird to.............Rest easy bud!