Lets talk energy gels

5 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Maurten on the pricier side, so I’ve avoided it thus far, 

I was on the same bandwagon, as I'm a total cheapskate. but I asked the right people and it seemed the hype was backed up by actual fact. If you calculate the actual carbs you get it is on a par pricewise. I did some ultra distance running, where you can't just sommer carry everything so easily so this made a lot of sense.

I'm convinced this stuff is magic and if you can get past the jelly like consistency is very easy to keep down. I'd totally use it again for a big event.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I was on the same bandwagon, as I'm a total cheapskate. but I asked the right people and it seemed the hype was backed up by actual fact. If you calculate the actual carbs you get it is on a par pricewise. I did some ultra distance running, where you can't just sommer carry everything so easily so this made a lot of sense.

I'm convinced this stuff is magic and if you can get past the jelly like consistency is very easy to keep down. I'd totally use it again for a big event.

mmm, okay - but check their formulae vs that of 32GI

Will perhaps give Maurten a try at some point.

14 hours ago, Baracuda said:

On these: https://32gi.com/products/sports-gels. ?

I found the fold in half thing works great. You can do it with one hand and quickly.

ja, doesnt work well for me, especially when temps get hot and the gel gets more runny

I like 32gi products, but that fold things and me never got along 

I have tried the SiSu gel ,but for me the consistency was too gooye and I struggled to get it down.Had to use it with quite a lot of water to go down smoothly. The maurten gels are pricey ,but you definately get what you paid for if you can get through the funny consistency. 

On 8/21/2024 at 8:12 PM, Shebeen said:

I think for running or for extreme heat Mauten makes sense. The research I have read shows that their products have a faster gastric emptying time. But no greater exogenous carbohydrate oxidation per hour vs no hydrogel products. In layman’s language - the Mauten carbs move through the gut faster but it does not supply you with more “energy” per hour vs regular products. Maybe the faster gastric emptying is worth the very high product cost in some situations like a hot running race or triathlon in Hawaii but in other situations Maurten does not seem to provide an advantage. 

On 8/24/2024 at 6:45 AM, reteid said:

I have tried the SiSu gel ,but for me the consistency was too gooye and I struggled to get it down.Had to use it with quite a lot of water to go down smoothly. The maurten gels are pricey ,but you definately get what you paid for if you can get through the funny consistency. 

I ran a marathon last weekend with one of the SiSu gels and two Gu's for the caffeine. I like the low flavour of the SiSu and the convenience of the flip top is a win for me. Lots of small doses make it easier to consume.

On 8/24/2024 at 6:45 AM, reteid said:

First batch was also more gooye than normal, but I don't know which batch you tried. Something about the order of adding/mixing ingredients affects it. The latests ones are less viscous.

On 8/21/2024 at 8:21 AM, Jbr said:

you guys go through so many energy gels ? I only use gels in races, when I can't carry enough carbs in my bottles.

I also do some of my training rides on white sugar only, the big sessions in intensity or duration (or both) on enduren carbs mix and only add the gels in if I need to add some caffein and/or need some extra carbs to maintain my target carbs/hour.

Problem is if you dont test it beforehand, your stomach might not be able to handle it in a race situation. And then obviously getting your gut accustomed to it costs a whole lot of money.

I’ve made the switch to Tailwind nutrition and haven’t looked back. It’s so much easier on your gut and if i do go on longer rides i try and supplement it with proper food instead of just sugary stuff.

Alternative to gels is maple syrup.

Sports gels and candies have been a long-favored source of replenishing fuel lost during endurance exercises. But pure maple syrup has the necessary nutrition to be an ideal choice of fuel for endurance athletes.

IMG_9581.png

IMG_9578.png

On 8/27/2024 at 9:07 PM, Baron said:

Sports gels and candies have been a long-favored source of replenishing fuel lost during endurance exercises. But pure maple syrup has the necessary nutrition to be an ideal choice of fuel for endurance athletes.

IMG_9581.png

IMG_9578.png

Good quality pure maple syrup is probably more expensive than SiSu!

On 8/27/2024 at 9:07 PM, Baron said:

IMG_9581.png

IMG_9578.png

Maple syrup is delicious but it’s 40 times the price of cane sugar and has no additional benefits for endurance sports.