Ses fietsryers dam oupa by n? hy vir hull

Call Me Crazy

Linnega' date=' I think what you are proposing is a 'crusade' to educate motorists through tough (but fair) action.

The problem with this is that you are likely to be killed/ maimed/ dondered with a baseball bat a hell of a lot quicker than if you ignored the offending motorist.

So what if 5 motorists in the Durban area are now a bit more considerate of cyclists due to 'meeting you if the 6th guy runs you down in a fit of road rage??

I think that if cyclists really cared about respect safety they would do something else rather than flipping a finger, which is a really easy response.
[/quote']

I understand your point and I do get involved in a fair amount outside of "signalling" my discontent.  Of course, in my case I commute so I get to educate probably 10 motorists each way every day on the same route (to work anyway) at similar times, so for me it does create an awareness amongst motorists that use my route.  "Flipping the bird" at a motorist speeding away is an easy response and not really beneficial, but it does make me feel better that I let the driver know that his/her behaviour was not acceptable.  It has resulted in the odd incident of road rage, but I have been able to settle all but one by rationally defending my right to be pissed off.  The one that didn't work out resulted in the guy clipping my bars with his mirror after I thought I had adequately explained my position.  the nearby policeman that followed him back to the bus stop where he was travelling to made sure that he didn't think either his original offense or his reaction to my irritation were appropriate.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those you don't know our "Oupa" is close to 2 meters tall and is build like a brick sh!t house. I know the "Oupa" and ran me of the road a few years back and he knew me. Might be because I did not like him and visa verse.......

I just want to make two points here -

1)How anyone can say, hiding in WAIT, in superior numbers, with the clear intentional mindset to assault someone, can be considered "self defense" is quite beyond me.

2)Lets take a hypothetical situation here - your elderly father who you love very much, one day in a moment of poor judgement waves a finger under the gardeners nose, hey maybe he even swears at him and certainly he makes his opinion known.

The gardener that afternoon recruits 6 of his best buddies and hides out in the back, when your father takes a late evening stroll, they assault him, your mother sees this and tries to difuse the situation, they beat her up too, then just for good measure they pepper spray your father.

Unbeknown to them, he had a weak heart and the stress and the violence was too much and he has a heart attack and dies.

Do you -

1* Say, "Gee" before I get too upset I would like to hear their side of the story.?

2*It was self defense. So "Hey" thats okay!?

3* My father should never have raised his voice, so he actually deserved it.?

4*I think we should all get together with the assailants over a cup of tea and discuss this rage issue.?

OR

5*You drive to the nearest police station and lay a criminal charge.?

My bet is its 5 - because its the right thing to do.!! You know it and I know it.

My bet is you will be screaming blue murder at the police station demanding a case be opened and the assailants prosecuted.

Why did these thugs not do likewise??

Anybody who condones violence and this criminal behaviour aligns themselves with criminals everywhere.

Ok, posting on my phone so excuse any spelling mistakes. Heard this from an informed source:

1. Double lane road

2. 3 cyclists hit with side mirror

3. Not first occurence, knew where oupa worked

4. Followed oupa. He picked the smallest guy and SWUNG THE FIRST SHOT. The cyclists duked under the shot and then let rip with a return

5. The lady jumped on the cyclist back. Another cyclist took her off him.

6. A security guard then stormed closer, after which the situation was explained. HE ACKNOWLEDGED THAT OUPA IS THAT TYPE OF PERSON!

7. I still don't know why the pepperspray was used.

Dankie ewep.  18 bladsye later kom die tweede helfte van die storie tevoorskyn.  So sal ons try vir 30 bladsye om 'n oplossing te vind? hu, hu, any takers?

your point being? are cyclists on the same level as your hypothetical gardener.

Also if you read the article, it is not clear if the cyclists actually planned to attack him or not.

furthermore, cyclemania seems to actually know the man, and claims that not only is he an aggressive offender, but actually aims at cyclists, and is definitely not a typical "oupa".

so can we move away from the hypothetical, now we seem to have discovered some new evidence?

Maybe because my elderly father waving his finger about is not likely to kill the gardener ............ however Oupa possibly driving like an indiot in his bakkie was well capable of killing one or more cyclists..... just a thought, use, don't use it.

Were the cycli .... I mean hoodlums waiting or him or did they follow him to his office? If they were waiting for him, how did they know where he worked?

Secondly' date=' if he passed the cyclists by moving across, then there was no need to hoot.  He just had to pass as it was clearly safe to do so (he did it).  The cyclists would then have no reason, need or cause to move over.

[/quote']

Rules of the road are quiete clear' date=' cyclist's may only ride 2 up when overtaking. Most likely 40 will 2-3 up, so motorist was perfectly entiteld to expect the cyclists to move out of the way irrespective of wheteher there was other traffic or not.
[/quote']

The rules of the road also quite clearly state that a vehicle may not pass another in the same lane (for example, a car may not pass a cyclist as both are vehicles).  Obviously practicality means that both the exception (cyclists and motorcyclists being allowed to ride two abreast) and the rule that no vehicles are allowed to be side by side in the same lane, needs to be treated with a level of practicality.  There is no reason why the cyclists being the vehicles in front and therefore the vehicles with right of way, should be forced to move over when the vehicle without right of way (the motorist) is approaching from behind and can safely pass in the passing lane.

Riding on pedal cycles

311. (1) No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.

(2) Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.

(3) No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.

(4) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.

(5) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle.

(6) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the handle-bars of such pedal cycle.

(7) Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.

(8) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, shall do so in such manner that all the wheels of such pedal cycle are in contact with the surface of the road at all times.

.... He picked the smallest guy and SWUNG THE FIRST SHOT. The cyclists duked under the shot and then let rip with a return ....

Ek dink M&R gaan vir oupa fire.  Ek kan nie glo hulle het 'n ingenieur op hulle payroll wat nie kan tel nieLOL.

I heard Oupa was really a 3 - headed alien that eats cyclists, especially the under-12s and that he has REALLY bad body odour and that the Intergalactic Council has a reward out on any cyclists brave enough to confront him with the only substance (other than kryptonite) to which he is vulnerable - pepperspray.

Oh and Concorde Road is single lane except for a rough 30mtr stretch that opens on the left and that cyclists do well not to move over into.

your point being? are cyclists on the same level as your hypothetical gardener.
Also if you read the article' date=' it is not clear if the cyclists actually planned to attack him or not.
furthermore, cyclemania seems to actually know the man, and claims that not only is he an aggressive offender, but actually aims at cyclists, and is definitely not a typical "oupa".
so can we move away from the hypothetical, now we seem to have discovered some new evidence?[/quote']

The pre text remains the same in the eyes of the law.

I challenge you to stand in any court of law in this country and say "Your honour I beat him up because he was driving a steel missile badly and I suspect he may have injured or even killed me"

Good luck.

Let me know where you are and I will visit with some snacks.!

thanks cyclemania and ewep for the additional info. so it looks like the cyclists were clearly aggravated, suffered the first injury AND acted in self defence.

In Beira, next to the sea eating prawns.Isti11 thinkthose cydist are criminals who didalot Of damageto me and alI of you whom IdearIy love. the damage they.caused will still resound for many years to Come with their pre-meditated attack

I heard Oupa was really a 3 - headed alien that eats cyclists' date=' especially the under-12s and that he has REALLY bad body odour and that the Intergalactic Council has a reward out on any cyclists brave enough to confront him with the only substance (other than kryptonite) to which he is vulnerable - pepperspray.

[/quote']

I think that version is closer to the truth LOL

The headline of this incident in the Citizen states "Hells cyclists beat up driver" then opens with the sentence "Cycling thugs beat up an elderly Boksburg man on Monday"

NICE PUBLICITY

I say this as someone whose been cycling for 15 years. The cyclists I see on the roads are generally extremely arrogant!

They couldn't care less about moving out the way for traffic' date=' they think they own the road, they can violate traffic laws at their will and no car has the right to hoot at them when they do.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this old man hooted at them or got aggresive.

BUT I'll bet more money on the fact that he got lip/attitude/obscenities thrown at him first.

I have hooted at cyclists, nonchalantly cycling 4 or 5 abreast in a single lane road and gotten heaps of attitude for it! Cyclists complain that cars don't wanna share the road with them.....they're just getting what they give!

If your attitude is of the above, you'll do the sport a favour by getting run over! Sorry for the cold comment, but that's my view!
[/quote']

Thank heavens!!! For a minute I thought I was living in an illusion world. I back you 100% mate.