Your ideal bike shop? Post feedback.

Hog_

although a set of tyres costs me around 6k... LOL

And you wait for them. Would rather that my bike is ready 100% when I get there. Actually the way bike tyres are going these days they are not far off.

Trying to think of an industry similar to cycling that has such a strong overlap between retail and workshop setup. Motorcycling maybe but not quite.

incredible connection? they have loads of product. will sell you a new one and fix/upgrade your current one. staff are generally knowledgable... have never been offered coffee tho

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- Friendly and gorgeous female staff on mini-skirts

In store coffee shop run by hooters...

TNT12008-09-22 04:34:51

1) honesty

2) market related prices

3) can do attitude

4) operate in a free market environment where the store owner decides on his final selling price.

5) good workshop

2) Everybody will have market related prices if the pricesa re fixed.

4) No one can determine their own prices if there prices are market related ie' date=' fixed.

[/quote']

hmm yes I see your point so I need to elaborate on 2).

market related prices i.e. prices being the result of a clear and transparent price build structure that levers of the overall service deliverd by the retailer.

I don't mind paying a few bob more if I get a little extra out of the shopping experience.

I have spent upwards of an hour in a shop in somerset west and was never  offered coffee/tea once !

You need to have words with them man! At Summit cycles in Midrand (thanks Ant) I got a cup without asking last week and Ivo even knew how many sugars ........... Big%20smile

the words BIGben, come to mind ...LOL

I agree' date=' but I dont think that makes a good bike shop and is a bit ott for this topic. I think Hog's recommendations are pretty spot on.[/quote']

Thumbs%20Up

gotta agree

I have spent upwards of an hour in a shop in somerset west and was never  offered coffee/tea once !

You need to have words with them man! At Summit cycles in Midrand (thanks Ant) I got a cup without asking last week and Ivo even knew how many sugars ........... Big%20smile

the words BIGben' date=' come to mind ...LOL
[/quote']

LOLLOLLOL Always wondered why when I walk in all the other customers leave ....... in fact why do people cross the road when I walk ............. what's with that? Ouch

also i would like to see the same mechanic in the shop for at least two months in a row.

the sales people must at least be half decent and do a bit of riding.

Sheesh What is the facination with Coffee? Are you here to drink or shop?

I wouldnt even like to drink coffee in a shop...I like to keep my hands free to pile up the accessories I'm buying.

I would like an unbiased opinion on products (even ones they don't sell/ stock)

I shop around, so I will compare prices, but if you have taken the trouble to pay money to stock an item and keep it on the shelf until I need it then I will pay more to have it now. If you have to order it in, I'll order at the the cheapest place.

Service is a two sided sword. I work in retail. You can either walk into a bike shop happily and be friendly to sales staff and activley chat to them, chances are you will recieve good service 9/10 times. Or you can walk in and lurk around...waiting and getting irritated with everything, then being grumpy to staff...service you get back will be not so good.

I understand if I need to wait, if i go to the bank I need to queue, They dont care if I want to deposit R5 or R5m...It's the same at Pick and Pay you queue. Why do people in bike shops think that they need to most attention because they are buying a new bike, not a spare tube like the next guy...

I research everything I buy before I buy it, I know how much it weighs, ave price online, I know what functions it has too. I would like to know how many other people bought it and if they give problems and if it's worth them money, or perhaps if there is another product similar I missed or has just come out. Maybe there is a new model on the way...

Agreed with Tarmac with the research. So basically when it is your turn to be served. You know what you want and what you are going to pay for it.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

But saying that. It is very unfortunate that some of the staff in shops are really just there to greet you. Forget about the knowledge on cycle goods.

This is why I have learnt to do everything my self, buy the tools and consumables needed to service anything on my bikes. Because I then know that my bike is going to have the attention and workmanship I would expect? :-)

Easy, add my 2 favorite shops.  One is EXCELLENT on the pricing of their products, and the owner is very willing to advice, on ALL products.  The other has (according to me) the best workshop in GP.  EISH, if only I could get the two to work together, they would concur the bike shop world.

And NO, I don't get or WANT coffee!

Everyone who knows me knows I buy at Karstens Cycles in Pretoria.

They are not always the cheapest, but you get service.  If you want coffee there is a table in the corner where you can make your coffee.

Petri will always get you what you want and the conversation is good.

You are also not pressured into buying something, more like hinted that this would look great and the missu would love this of course.

When Bliksempie broke the Fondriest, Petri went out of his way to see that Wayne got what he wanted, not what Petri thought he wanted.  Even phoned when the frame was there.

One word     SERVICE

Keep it up you will see me again

although a set of tyres costs me around 6k... LOL

And you wait for them. Would rather that my bike is ready 100% when I get there. Actually the way bike tyres are going these days they are not far off.

Trying to think of an industry similar to cycling that has such a strong overlap between retail and workshop setup. Motorcycling maybe but not quite.

incredible connection? they have loads of product. will sell you a new one and fix/upgrade your current one. staff are generally knowledgable... have never been offered coffee tho
Wonder then why they are known in the industry as Incredible Corruption???

Wonder then why they are known in the industry as Incredible Corruption???

dis them as we may, they are obviously doing something right. they have a number of outlets, they make huge profits and generally have happy customers. Its the smaller 1 or 2man pc repair shops that call them "incredible corruption".

Go price a laptop and compare their price to what you would pay from a supplier. They're not much more expensive and their backup service isnt too shabby.

*disclaimer* I dont work for them Wink

Everyone who knows me knows I buy at Karstens Cycles in Pretoria.

They are not always the cheapest' date=' but you get service.  If you want coffee there is a table in the corner where you can make your coffee.

Petri will always get you what you want and the conversation is good.

You are also not pressured into buying something, more like hinted that this would look great and the missu would love this of course.

When Bliksempie broke the Fondriest, Petri went out of his way to see that Wayne got what he wanted, not what Petri thought he wanted.  Even phoned when the frame was there.

One word     SERVICE

Keep it up you will see me again

[/quote']

I bought my Special frame from Petri ClapClap my red baby Big%20smileBig%20smile he is really a great guy and was very helpfull and she was well wrapped and came here in perfect condition !!!