MTB Wheels - a challenge for the techheads

fatcyclist

Since I'm apparently going to attempt this Desert Dash thing, I've started trimming weight off the bike. CWC is getting a visit later today or tomorrow for some Thompson goodies etc..

The biggest weight though I suspect is in my rolling gear. Currently I'm using a old set of XT hubs (been rebuilt twice LOLClap), XT 6 bolt discs, no-name (aka cheap sh*t) straight spokes and Alex DH 22 rims. Tubes and liners, and then a Kenda Karma on the front, and a Larsen TT at the back.

Since I'm a poor office worker, I'm putting the challenge out to some of the shops / techheads here to come up with a lighter alternative that's not going to break the bank. Stans conversion included (unless tubeless from the get-go), and has to be able to carry my very fat 96kg weight. Post your suggestions please Wink

Is budget an issue?

XT hubs with 32 DT Swiss Comp spokes and Mavic 819 rims.

The rims for UST already, so no conversion necessary. You will still want some sealant for punctures though.

Some might reccomend DT 240 hubs. I would personally like Hope hubs...

Your hub choice might be affected by you not wanting to buy new centrelock rotors if you are trying to keep costs under control.

I have no idea of the terrain expected, but Maxxis Monorail (f) and Crossmark ® has been suggested at more than one bikeshop.

Cut your 96 kgs down' date=' by training more and eating less.[/quote'] Angry not even going to respond to that!

eating less will save the money needed for your new fulcrum mtb wheels......

Cut your 96 kgs down' date=' by training more and eating less.[/quote'] Angry not even going to respond to that!

eating less will save the money needed for your new fulcrum mtb wheels......

But he'll have to starve ...... Wink

Lefty: the XT's I have could probably do with an upgrade. I do like the Mavic 819 option though...

kiwi's AM Classic special the other day did catch my eye, but Titusti feels I might not be the right wheels for me, even though they claim to have a 106kg rider weight limit...

I'm still very undecided on whether this race is a good or bad idea. luckily entries are already full so i don't have to worry for a while.

just had a look at the profile, http://www.desertdashnamibia.com/content/view/23/49/. it goes from joburg altitude to the coast.

it looks like a distance thing and not a hill killer in anyway. so i think dropping weight on wheels will have a mostly placebo effect. you never know, the 96 might even help.

i know its not the answer you were looking for, but its not a bad one (and your tyres are fine!)

Remember once seeing an ad in a Brit magazine:  "Why is it easier for people to lose 5 pounds out of their wallets than 5 pounds around their waists?"

I've got heavier duty ones comming, not until November though. They look like our 29er wheel sets, same deal, rims, Kenda Nevegal tyres, tubes and QRs. Fast rolling sealed bearing hubs, 32 spoke front and rear. Shimano Centerlock, adaptors for ISO 6 bolt just slide on the Centerlock groves.

Tough enough for a bit of jumping off stuff! R2945

20080925_043647_Model-F-Rims.jpg
Kiwi2008-09-25 05:15:51

good strong rims:

Mavic XM819

NoTubes ZTR Arch

Hubs:

Shimano Deore XT FH-M775

Shimano XTR FH-M975

Hope Pro II

I can't comment too much on factory wheels because I have only ever owned two sets. The Shimano XTR WH-M975 Lefty I still have, the Mavic Crossmax SL I have sold a long time ago. Never again I tell you.

Spokes:

Dt Super Comp

I'm still very undecided on whether this race is a good or bad idea. luckily entries are already full so i don't have to worry for a while.

just had a look at the profile' date=' http://www.desertdashnamibia.com/content/view/23/49/. it goes from joburg altitude to the coast.

it looks like a distance thing and not a hill killer in anyway. so i think dropping weight on wheels will have a mostly placebo effect. you never know, the 96 might even help.

i know its not the answer you were looking for, but its not a bad one (and your tyres are fine!)
[/quote']

shebeen, why dont you do this race ride with me next year?