Paleo Diet for Athletes

Guest Michelle

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bike monster: Agreed. But there are some elements that are of value. Cutting out junk food is a good start. OK not totally but mostly. I love dairy cheese, milk yogurt and if course ice cream but our bodies stop creating the enzymes to break down lactose properly shortly after we stop breat feeding. That's why so many people are lactose intolerant. If the milk has been boiled however, these proteins are broken down and it's not as bad in fact it's pretty damn good for you. Ever noticed how after drinking a glass of milk getrs your sinuses clogged up?

I think the best way to eat is when you are hungry, not bored or stressed but because your body needs some fuel to function optimally and then eat the right thing. Lots of variety in your diet is also essential.

Hi Michelle

Joe Friel also wrote the "Triathlon Bible". If you read the book most of the things make sense, especially the stuff about the cave men and women and there diet then.

He does make a huge point out of the fact that everybody is different and that you must adapt his advice to suite you. Isn't everything like that LOL

Will it work for you ???? Yes, I am sure you will get some new ideas and I am sure that you will be able to use most of his advice.

Talking about nutrition Smile I saw this article on Felt's website, very interesting read:

http://www.feltracing.com/display.asp?catid=17&pageid=40

Thanks for reminding me about this book, was on my wish list for a while Big%20smile

narra

SARA, I stopped drinking milk shortly after cattle became domesticated.  Yoghurt, yum, ice cream, even more yum, milk...bleachhh!!!!

People who exercise regularly, and want to improve some sort of athletic performance (whether it's TitusTi's worlds 24 hrs of insanity or my racing in the alpabet soup) tend to work out what works for them and eat to fuel, as opposed to the couchoholics for whom eating is a leisure pursuit all on its own.

When I was at varsity I sat in on some Health Psychology  lectures given by Helgo Schomer (sp?), where he cited some research that he had been doing with Tim Noakes.  The subject had to do with weight loss and the study was made up of a group of people with heart disease and obesity.  Half the group were put on a strict diet, the other half were put on a less severe diet coupled with an exercise regime.  The exercisers did far better at losing weight and keeping it off and found it far easier to stick to their diets because they set up "virtuous circles" and became more in tune with what their bodies needed.

stuff the cavemen we have evolved! The cavemen's avg life expectancy was probably 35 Tongue Okay if you take the dinosaurs out of the equation maybe 40.

Find out what Moses was on!! That dude lived up to 845 years or some crazy sh*t old age.

Just skimmed it but I've been thinking that way for a long time and eating that way for as long. I feel good. am in shape and perform pretty well.

You don't eat meat though? A staple of the caveman.

[

Do you have to tell everyone all these minor details about me?

What would the diet be of a normal Elite / Pro Rider ??  What would they eat ????? Please advise

Seeing as we don't have any Elites on here, I'll give my answer.

Standard pre-race meal: Steak, potatoes and salad all this with a glass of red wine and finished off with some nice green tea. The rest of the time I just eat whatever is around.

[

Do you have to tell everyone all these minor details about me?

Hey Sara...don't be shy!

Die grasworsies is lekker en het nog niemand skade gedoen nieWink. We do get our protein in.

vegetarians...the other other white meat LOL

Then again, red meat is getting so expensive, that fish and chicken is the only meat this paleface can afford...Confused