Crosstraining?

chris414

Hey.  Ive been hearing alot about cross training lately - wat are the direct benefits of doing this (hill climbling etc??)  Are there any kind of basic rules i should stick to with regard to time spent cross training and the type of trainig (ie. intervals vs. long distance)?

Btw im a useless swimmer so crosstraining would be limited to running...

Thanks,
Chris

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are quite a few benefits associated with cross training.

It gives you a higher overall conditioning and fitness, you dont just concentrate on specific muscle groups.

You reduce the chance of injuries, and overtraining.

With the correct type of cross training you can rest certain muscle groups.

And its also great to keep fit if you are injured.

And one of the most important benefits for me is that it helps you mentally to focus on future training programmes, and it takes the bordom out of training.

It also helps with range of motion and flexiblity.

I'll recommend to go take a dip in the pool and alternate that with some running.

Why do you wanna do cross training ?

Personally I agree with the positives on cross training...I enjoy swimming and running as well...overall it does take the boredom out of just one discipline....

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Oh ok then I also crosstrain . I have to carry my bike , swim with my bike , jump with my bike and sometimes even ride the bloody thing !

Let me tell you a VERY funny story!! The week after 94.7 i decided to do something diffirent and i showed up at the gym to do a 'STEP class' I kept up but my heart rate went up to 85% for 50 minutes. That evening i did a spin class and the next morning a Body Conditioning Class.  I got so stiff that i actually had FLU simptoms!!!! My stomach packed up and i couldn't walk for 3 days!! SERIOUSLY I COULDN'T WALK!!! I had to stay in bed for 1 day and it was TERRIBLE!!! Cross training is for the BIRDS thank you very much!!

I felt very out of place!! If you think girls on their bikes are bitchy the vibe in the gym is 10 times worse!!

The current thinking is that cross-training will not improve your performance as a cyclist.  So, the 1 hour spent cross training would yeild less improvement as a cyclist than if you spent that hour riding your bike.  The best way to improve as a cyclist is to cycle.

Note that this applies specifically to a goal of improving cycling performance.  If your goal is to generally be in good physical condition, then sure, do whatever you enjoy.

I felt very out of place!! If you think girls on their bikes are bitchy the vibe in the gym is 10 times worse!!

agreed. gyms suck. bunch of miserable uptight people.

Grapkas are you faster on your bike now that you have recovered from that episode?  I guarantee you, you are not.  And I doubt you'll do that $h1t againWink

Use a cycle to train for cycling.  Cross training is training for Iron Man type events.

Chris, if you are bored with cycling, maybe you should take up another sport.

My 2c

"miserable uptight, out of shape old ppl and some steroid popping body builders hugging the mirrors, I find it very entertaining watching this from a stationary bike ha ha haLOL<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The current thinking is that cross-training will not improve your performance as a cyclist.  So' date=' the 1 hour spent cross training would yeild less improvement as a cyclist than if you spent that hour riding your bike.  The best way to improve as a cyclist is to cycle.

Note that this applies specifically to a goal of improving cycling performance.  If your goal is to generally be in good physical condition, then sure, do whatever you enjoy.
[/quote']

Hi Bruce

What about gym work to target specific muscle groups which are known to be weaker? I think it has helped me but I only do two sessions a week max and then not when building for a specific event.

agreed. gyms suck. bunch of miserable uptight people.

Hoe kan jy nou so s??  Ek is gere?ld in die gym en ek is defnitef nie 'n bunch of miserable uptight people nie.  Skaam jou om my so in die gesig te vat!Shocked

"miserable uptight' date=' out of shape old ppl and some steroid popping body builders hugging the mirrors, I find it very entertaining watching this from a stationary bike ha ha haLOL<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[/quote']

I found it sad and depressing. Was only there cos of buggered knee and needed to spin. All I wanted to do was go outside and play bike there.