VA spinning instructors

zeepee

Using my husbands login, i would like to make a comment about VA spinning instructors.

I am one, i teach at fourways Virgin. I have heard stories like this before and from the instructors point of view i can understand why he told you to leave, but agreed the way he dd it was terrible! As instructors we do not know the history of the people coming into a class and if youcome in half way through it firstly distracts the class and secondly you could be cold and pull a muscle or worse. That is why the general rule of thumb is do not enter a class more than 10mins after they have started. This is mainly for safety reasons!!

So yes there are bad instructors but they are also incredibly badly paid, so why do it.... well generally for fun and the enjoyment of it, or this case the guy was grumpy and perhaps not very good and well maybe he needs the little bit of money they pay and that is why.... i dont know.....  You should ahve complained to the club manager he has the authority or complain to the Manager on Duty. They have to sort the problem.

Not enough direct complaints are made to the clubs so they generally do not know if their instructors are bad or not. They clearly do not do all the classes.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I give spinning at 3 different places, including VA. I think; it's not what you say, but how you say it. It is disruptive if somebody comes late and you have not seen the person before, knowing his/her abilities. If you have a problem, contact Sonja. Her number can be obtained from any VA, and she is somebody that will help you, as it's her responsibility to manage the instructors. . And yes.... they pay crappy fees to instructors. Much less than other places. But like somebody said; it's for the enjoyment of the classes.

I spin all over the place, Fourways, Broadacres, Meyersdal, Sunninghill, wherever I happen to be that day.

Sometimes I am a bit late or need to leave a bit early, I have other things to do and time schedules to keep. This is not the army, most of us spin because we are looking for a bit of entertainment other than watching boxing on the flat screen while we pedal away on a stationary bike.

Actually, most of the instructors I see couldnt care less if you arrived late left early, or just did your own thing, which is, in my opinion, the way it should be, they are not there to be policemen.

Quite frankly if an instructor shouted at me for whatever reason I would take exception, and either complain to management or tell them to take a hike.! 

Been badly paid is no reason to do a bad job, or have a bad attitude, if you feel your abilities are been taken advantage of, look elsewhere for a postion, your issues over pay are not my concern.

As for a safety issue, well thats just ridiculous, since when dos any VA worry about you pulling a muscle, if they did they would be telling 90% of the membership to get off the treadmills and bicycles and have a permanent spotter to prevent any 58kg weakling from having a 60kg barbell landing on his chest doing bench press. 

Just had to have my say on this - one of my favourite R&R subjects. I'd be quite happy if they simply put all the spin bikes out on the open floor and left me to it with my iPod. All other exercise bikes in the VA gyms are useless and sport tractor seats for saddles. Most instructors (except for one guy at <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Tygervalley VA) are useless and I doubt they've ever been on a bike or trained for a cycle race and as for their music! (but this may be an age thing). And sorry but I don't keep to class times if I can't or don't want to. I pay my gym fees - that my choice. If no spin bike is available on the floor then I go and work out in the spin class. I've never been "attacked? by a spinning instructor but I feel sorry for anyone who does. I'm certain my medical aid call centre agents and bank manager can vouch for this<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

you guys should all go and attend a spinning class with donkey at VA gardens' date=' ape town.
He IS a legend of an instructor. highly qualified and even more entertaining!
Thumbs%20Up
[/quote']

Donkey is definitely a LEGEND!!!

I don't know of any other spinning class where you need "The Auditor" to be there Wink

Have to concur.  Donkey has an active sense of humour and his classes are often based on current bike events; eg the DC, etc.  And there's often a round-up of bike calendar events.  And of course there is the music trivia which just keeps the interest level up.  OK, that is probably enough sucking up, but if you are a cyclist looking to do some spinning and you are in Cape Town then Donkey's classes are probably for you.    

Is there a fixed rate VA pay their instructors? I'm also qualified, and our VA here in Rustenburg has got a definate shortage of instructors. Maybe I'll go and offer my services.

I'm very unhappy with VA in Roodepoort (Horizon View) The aircons never work, I have complained several times about it without any response.

Also, a few months ago the guy that used to wash cars at VA was promoted to a fitness consultant???? Thumbs%20Up (I'm serious...)

Also' date=' a few months ago the guy that used to wash cars at VA was promoted to a fitness consultant???? Thumbs%20Up (I'm serious...)
[/quote']

Wax on...........wax off..............

I got a call from the clubs GM yesterday, apparantly this guy is a doctor (definately not the dr of love)and was standing in for the regular instructor. She appologised profusely and said they'll never use him again.

While i appreciate the appology, it's still left a bitter tase in my mouth. I'll think twice about going spinning there again. In fact, I'm going to planet fitness today to see what they can offer. This has made me think that it might be worth my while looking at other gyms. Change is good.....

@Hacc- complain on HelloPeter.com, they were very promt to respond to my complaint.

Also, a few months ago the guy that used to wash cars at VA was promoted to a fitness consultant???? Thumbs%20Up (I'm serious...)

doesnt surprise me one bit, i've seen the "cookie cutter" programs they spew out to members there. Go in for a assessment, pay money, get generic program. Thanks for coming

Hellopeter is one of my favorite sites (I'm a regular complainerAngry)

Will give it a try.

VA is one of our clients and their staff turnover is ridiculous!

Luckily I'm a Vitality member so I don't pay for gym (except the once-off amount)  

Is there a fixed rate VA pay their instructors? I'm also qualified' date=' and our VA here in Rustenburg has got a definate shortage of instructors. Maybe I'll go and offer my services. [/quote']

No they don't get a fixed rate. I started off at around R60 a class 5 years ago and is now on R100 a class smiley9.gif I give class at Vodaworld and have never ever shouted at anyone in my class, it is normally the guys that don't ride a "real" bike that do stuff like that   smiley7.gif , I've been in all the instructors classes at Vodaworld and they are "laid back" when it comes to that. Just choose the right classes and instructors smiley9.gif My 2c

Is there a fixed rate VA pay their instructors? I'm also qualified' date=' and our VA here in Rustenburg has got a definate shortage of instructors. Maybe I'll go and offer my services. [/quote']

No they don't get a fixed rate. I started off at around R60 a class 5 years ago and is now on R100 a class smiley9.gif I give class at Vodaworld and have never ever shouted at anyone in my class, it is normally the guys that don't ride a "real" bike that do stuff like that   smiley7.gif , I've been in all the instructors classes at Vodaworld and they are "laid back" when it comes to that. Just choose the right classes and instructors smiley9.gif My 2c

At R100 a class you obviously do it for the love of it. Sheesh, scratch that off my list of potential part time jobs.

At R100 a class you obviously do it for the love of it. Sheesh, scratch that off my list of potential part time jobs.

For a part time job it's nothing.  But if you gonna go spinning in anyway, why not sit in the front and get paid for it.  I am currently getting nothing while sitting and sweating there Embarrassed