You know what absolutely SICKENS me?

Capri Wheeler

CW' date=' ride further back, and you see guys with said bikes, full Assos kit, the latest and greatest Sidi shoes, PUSHING their bikes up the N14 bumps.  Braked, "are you ok", the answer, "Ja, but this is a TOUGH hill boet!!"  People SCARE me!
[/quote']

um... that would be me in a mountain bike race at the moment.  I am constantly getting chirped about pushing with the bike I've got. 

At least one guy stood up for me.  I had one of the long route guys come past me and make some mean chirp.  He turned around and told him that he should see how I go down the hills.  It made me feel a lot better.  We passed each other 12 times during the ride :-) 

Just because someone is pushing / going slowly doesn't always mean they are a beginner.  They might just not have all the time in the world to cycle.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know ...

That if you fill your mouth up with cheese curls' date=' chew them up, and then open your mouth wide and breathe heavily for two minutes (keeping your mouth open the whole time), you get hard orange bits stuck on your teeth that are really hard to get off? [/quote']

does it work with niknaks? am eating a packet now! will give it a go.

Hey... I'm also eating chips for breakfast... did you know that Willards have a new flavour? pickled onion, they're yummy

my favourite flavour is msg.Big%20smile

LOL it's the best taste, oddly in many different varieties!

pickled onion sounds tempting though. anyone keen to mail me a box?

Its the oddest thing, I always liked the top of the range ASCIS running shoes when I ran Comrades, etc the same ones Bruce and Nick wore actually, I can also quite often remember trudging up Pollys shorts in my latter races while folks in those friggin "other" sport shoes trotted past, until I read Capris post I was oblivious to the fact they might have been "sickened" by the fact I had these nice shoes, they didnt, and my ability was somewhat less than theirs.

I guess the fact I still like wearing them casually will also have to stop now, and I will today go and buy a R60.00 pair of white takkies, because I know there is no way I can run Comrades again and I might just sicken a few folk with these really nice shoes in the mall.

Did you know ...

That if you fill your mouth up with cheese curls' date=' chew them up, and then open your mouth wide and breathe heavily for two minutes (keeping your mouth open the whole time), you get hard orange bits stuck on your teeth that are really hard to get off? [/quote']

Hey... I'm also eating chips for breakfast... did you know that Willards have a new flavour? pickled onion, they're yummy

swop you for a box of hershey's.

Me too. Also have a bling blingBig%20smile MTB which is way above my ability. Wheeled and Dealed with my LBS to make it happen.

Also not here to win races. Started out slow and then backed off from there. 16km'h looks way to quick for meWink. When I started out I wheighed in at a whopping 92,5 height = 1,73 so looked like the OROS Mannetjie. Dropped the weight down to a low of 72,3 so that I could keep up with the bunch.

So I only have admiration for the bigger guys who go out there and ride their bikes at whatever speed is good for them as I too was once in their shoes.

Not everyone was fortunate enough to start riding/racing/fun riding in their early years and you have to start somewhere.

Did you know ...

I'm in the wrong country for hershey's. Could send you Wei?bier, but that'll have a high postage.

Rather interesting thread this i must admit.

Having bought a 2nd hand 2005 Cervelo Soloist 2 weeks ago after having looked out for a decent bike at a decent price for the last 18 months i must admit on the 2 rides i been out on so far ( 25k and 60k ) i have gotten my fair share of dirty looks for whatever reason it may be because i was climbing a hill at was showing 6km/h on the speedo or because of the fact that i Had Tri-Bars on as i would like to convert from Ultra Marathon running to Tri-Athlons and i know the roadies dont like thos aparenly or like you said it may be because i'm a chump on an expensive bike that cant climb a hill yet and could probarbly run up there faster at the mo than ride it but ... tough takkies to you.

I'll Get There.

Most have probably worked really hard to spoil themselves, and what better way than a bike!

Well done to them for cycling.

I think a better use of their money would be to sponsor their fellow cyclists? Maybe we should set up a hub fund? Purpose: Nice bikes and gear for all!!!! LOLLOLLOL

I say if you woork  hard play hard.

I ride with some "older guys" who have the latest bling bikes , but they have earnrd it , and i say good luck to all the peeps who can afford the ultimate blinged out bikes.

If i could spend R100000.00 on an awsome ride i would , but i cant so i am very happy and proud of my bike , as the legs make the differance Smile

CW' date=' ride further back, and you see guys with said bikes, full Assos kit, the latest and greatest Sidi shoes, PUSHING their bikes up the N14 bumps.  Braked, "are you ok", the answer, "Ja, but this is a TOUGH hill boet!!"  People SCARE me!
[/quote']

um... that would be me in a mountain bike race at the moment.  I am constantly getting chirped about pushing with the bike I've got. 

At least one guy stood up for me.  I had one of the long route guys come past me and make some mean chirp.  He turned around and told him that he should see how I go down the hills.  It made me feel a lot better.  We passed each other 12 times during the ride :-) 

Just because someone is pushing / going slowly doesn't always mean they are a beginner.  They might just not have all the time in the world to cycle.

I bought a carbon MTB as it was the lightest thing to push up all the hillsWink

Ah oh legendary one you remind me of the years that my colleague in Germany (Hr. Gast from Muenchen) would always sneak a couple of Weissbier (capital noted!) into equipment boxes we were receiving for our network .........

He's retired and I've moved on but they were good times!

Did you know ...

I'm in the wrong country for hershey's. Could send you Wei?bier, but that'll have a high postage.

it'll have to something like genuine sauerkraut. another hubber, dirty twin, is sending me a box of erdingerBig%20smile 

Yeah' date=' you know what really sickens me?

Sticking my fingers down the back of my throat - that really sickens me...

or, or .... reading a book whilst travelling in a car on a winding road, that makes me really sick.

[/quote']

What about the sight of the Springbok rugby jersey?

Ah oh legendary one you remind me of the years that my colleague in Germany (Hr. Gast from Muenchen) would always sneak a couple of Weissbier (capital noted!) into equipment boxes we were receiving for our network .........

He's retired and I've moved on but they were good times!

haha, nice! If we ever end up doing business I'll make sure to remember the Herr Gast story!

I just enjoy riding past people like that - they are harmless...

100% agree, they keep your LBS head above water too.

the thing that gets me, as that most of these guys should be riding triples or at least compact cranks.

Dont know what you're on about, there are few things in life more satisfying than dropping a guy on a R60k bike that looks like he belongs in a pro team with your R15k bike.

When i was a poor student i did triathlons on my (very cheap)mountain bike, I loved to pass guys on their expensive bikes in the cycle leg.