Ride Mag vs Bicycling ?

shade

Why is this a question anyway. the design and look & feel of BICYCLING an Mountain Bike are jsut in a league of brilliance. The ride Does smell funny, and whats with a rugby player on the cover.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you're a subscriber then' date=' Mampara?[/quote']

No I don't. I only subscribe to mags that comes covered in plastic bags about rabbits and upmarket properties .

How Much can you dsay about cycling that hasn't been said before. The pictures change, and the events change, But Landis' status won't change until there is a new Tour deFrance winner to be contraversial about.

The thing with Bicycling is to not take it too seriously.

My pet peeve is the recurring training guidelines, which are impossible to understand, let alone remember when you are out on the bike.

If you approach it as a light and frothy bit of entertainment, and ignore the bits you don't like, it's good value for money and knocks spots off Ride mag.

(Those would be the spots you see before your eyes from Ride's carppy layout.  Is it an article?  Is it an editorial?  An advert?  An advertorial?)

...I only subscribe to mags that comes covered in plastic bags about rabbits and upmarket properties .

Ahhh!  That would be "Gentlemens' PentHutch".  I had been wondering who the other susbcriber could possibly be.

Wasn't the January bunny delightfully furred?

On a serious note I find both mags childish and lacking in quality content,reviews and information.They are aimed at beginners in general.

Lessons on how to change tubes,etc,etc.

Read any of the UK or States mags and one is overwhelmed by the information therein.Even their ads are good

And they dont smell.

On a serious note I find both mags childish and lacking in quality content' date='reviews and information.They are aimed at beginners in general.

Read any of the UK or States mags and one is overwhelmed by the information therein.Even their ads are good

And they dont smell.
[/quote']

And Bicycling isn't licenced to That American Mag you speak of....

I subscribe electronically to Mountain Bike Action.

The issue once published is downloaded automatically and you can then print out what articles you want to read on the Jazz. Big%20smile

The best part is that it cost approx R150 for 12 issues versus the CNA's price of R 75 per issue !!

forget the both of them, February will bring us issue one of Vdub magazine - local performance and tuning VW mgasine (brought to yuo by the guys behing speed & sound)

http://blog.autostyle.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/vdub.jpg

On a serious note I find both mags childish and lacking in quality content' date='reviews and information.They are aimed at beginners in general.

And they dont smell.
[/quote']

That's true, I've spent many an hour trying to find the most comfortable way to lean against the bookracks in CNA and getting funny looks from the salespeople while reading Mountain Bike Review and other overseas bike mags, they are much, much better. Unfortuantely there is no way I'm going to pay R70 or R80 for one though.

I prefer Bicycling, and its got nothing to with me getting a pair of Addidas Evil Eye sunglasses as a lucky subscriber and a cap from them. Wink

forget the both of them' date=' February will bring us issue one of Vdub magazine - local performance and tuning VW mgasine (brought to yuo by the guys behing speed & sound)

http://blog.autostyle.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/vdub.jpg

[/quote']

A quick way to drop you IQ 50% (if you had any to start with).

The same applies to the Super Cycling show.At last they seem to be getting the point that we are a mature audience looking for quality product and they must stop treating us like idiots.

We will see tonight.

As I have said, I don't read the ride, so I can't comment on that, but Bicycling certainly falls short of "reporting" on local races and "pros". 

I really think that they should focus more on this.  For example - around silly season - there was so much talk about who is signing where, and not one article covering this in the magazine.  People want to know this - send someone out there, get the info and write an article.  Surely it's not that hard?

And local races - loads of folk fork out entry fees - maybe a few pages each month with a round up of results and general conditions etc.  Pretty much like Supercycling, but in Magazine format

Just my thoughts...