Why are spares so expensive in SA?

Orbeadc

I have to get something off my chest but my goodness bicycle spares are tooooooooooooooo F*&^ing expensive in this place.  In most cases it is cheaper to import, even at a weak exchange rate.  Even buying spares on the high street in London is cheaper. MTB Tudeless tires, chains, etc the list is endless.

That is why Chain Reaction Cycles is becoming more and more popular!

Speaking of which, I seemed to have missed the boat on a group order in Cape Town. Still have a wish list...

I was looking through this month's Ride or Bicycling (I forget which) and saw the lastest Giant top of the line bike for R71,000.

R71,000!!!

It was only a few years ago they brought out a special one off, real gold leafed, fully customised, Lightweight wheel toting, wonder bike that cost R75,000 and everyone gasped at the fact that you would spend that much on a bike.

Then I turned the page and saw a bike for R91,000.

Ok that's just stupid.

You can buy a fully functioning car with an internal combustion engine, 1,400kg's worth of product that's rain proof, requires no leg power etc or a 6.5kg bike. The local bike industry is ripping us all a new a$$hole.

My pledge from now on - screw you guys - I'll buy second hand or import. Your days of lightening my pockets are over!

Looks like the plans made at the "margin raising" cycle retail meeting of some months ago are being put in place...count me out.

Ja, I went to Willie Engelbrecht and I saw the top of the range Scott road bike worth near R125 000. I was shocked and the weight is not different +-500gram compare to cheaper bicycles +-R20 000. Who will spent that amount of money (Maybe Michael Jackson)

Ja' date=' I went to Willie Engelbrecht and I saw the top of the range Scott road bike worth near R125 000. I was shocked and the weight is not different +-500gram compare to cheaper bicycles +-R20 000. Who will spent that amount of money (Maybe Michael Jackson)[/quote']

Shocked  Scott bikes come with a free pre-teen boy child?

My pledge from now on - screw you guys - I'll buy second hand or import. Your days of lightening my pockets are over!

Looks like the plans made at the "margin raising" cycle retail meeting of some months ago are being put in place...count me out.

I agree with that statement. I ended up buying a 2nd hand full suss just because of the cost.

Or maybe I am just poor poor poor. Cry

Or get a tandem and hire out the rear seat.

I just got some stuff through Sports Direct and there prices where pretty good (even compared to CRC), worth checking out if you know what kit you're looking for.

www.sportsdirect.co.za

They do have a lot of stuff and prices are reasonable. Nice to have options...

CWC could do with a bit more work. There is a lot of stuff that is in the shop, but not on the web.

I just got some stuff through Sports Direct and there prices where pretty good (even compared to CRC)' date=' worth checking out if you know what kit you're looking for.[/quote'] Aaah Super mil, I was really looking at buying stuff from them, but no-one that I spoke to had heard of them and so I ws not too keen to buy.

Did you have any issues/problems with the online buy?

I actually got the stuff I ordered today and had no problems with the order itself. It took a while to get to me but ordering over December wasn't the ideal time also I didn't need the stuff urgently as I was not riding during December, due to a knee op :( so I wasn't too fussed. They say their normal turn around time is about 10days...

All my e-mails were responded to promptly which I appreciate too.