Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Ai...via the PPA newsletter this morning...

Anyone know/heard about this?

CYCLE LANE WARNING

Recent attacks along the cycle lanes close to Cape Town have once again highlighted the vulnerability of cyclists who use this form of transport.

The City of Cape Town’s Law Enforcement section has advised that they are attempting their best to bring these perpetrators to book but with the demands of extended patrol routes, expanding bus services, checking on fare evasion and crime prevention over a large geographical area, can be challenging at times.

Their recommendation is for cyclists to try and travel in groups of two or more along the stretch of road between Paarden Island and Woodstock due its isolation, especially in the early morning hours and late afternoon. They have patrols in the area but they do get called away to attend to other problems that occur. An operation to crack down on crime in this area last week resulted in the arrest of 15 people for all sorts of crime and they have promised to do more sporadic operations.

In the meantime, please heed the warning and be on the lookout. If you observe any suspicious behaviour or need to report an emergency, please call the 24/7 number 021 4807700.

Read my story!!

https://www.bikehub.co.za/stolenbikes/187-s-works-tarmac-sl3-2011/

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, 

This morning i was attacked by a demented homeless person, i was cycling on the footpath after the bridge over the N7 heading toward botasig circle, this vagrant looking fellow was walking along the footpath away from botasig circle.

He was carrying a large branch in each hand - similar to something you would see hikers carrying, he stepped onto the grass next to the footpath as i approached and when i was about 10 meters away he started screaming incoherently moved the sticks into Xhosa attack mode - (left stick held in the middle, right stick held at the base like a sword) - there was no time for me to do anything and he swung at my head, i swerved to the left and ducked, my front wheel left the footpath and slid, i went down hard, i jumped to my feet and was winded and seeing stars, the assailant  was still screaming jibbarish and beating his sticks together, but at least retreating.....i had to lean against a lamp-pole as i was winded and still seeing stars.

I walked a couple of steps back to my bike and my broken into bits Garmin Edge 705.

The nuts ninja was about 30m away from me by now, still screaming and walking away, when i started picking up my bike etc, he started running back at me with an empty (i assume) Old Brown Sherry glass bottle, i hopped on my bike and got out of there. 

edit: - just so it is said, no i did not provoke the guy.

post-7265-0-93867400-1441277482_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gravity

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen on FB a cyclist was relieved of his bike and watch at gun point yesterday on the pedestrian bridge near the Mill at UCT.Be careful out there

Fark, that's my access route onto the mountain. More details please.

It seems like all of your routes are being targeted!  Time for you to find a new sport  :whistling:

Dear fellow cyclists,

I was attacked by two pedestrians on Monday 14 September, and robbed of all my belongings, except my bicycles and clothes. I just came from Paardeneiland and went uphill towards Woodstock Myciti station.

Two pedestrians were walking behind each other on the cycle path towards me. As I past the first, he said something to the second. This one lashed out and hooked my right arm, causing my handle bar to twist and me to fall hard instantly. I tried to get up, but they ran to me and threatened me with some sort of plastic or iron rod. They tried to get my backpack off, but as I was wearing a helmet, this was not easy. They yanked and pulled hard, until my helmet came off. They ran off with bag and wallet into the field between Myciti route and N1.

Please share this story with more cyclists riding alone, as this clearly is not safe any longer.

Ard.

Ard, sorry to hear of your ordeal.

Please make sure you report this to the Police, and if possible to the PPA and tweet Me. Helen Zille.

The more people that is kept aware that this kind of thing is continuing, the better.

Cyclists are sitting ducks, an attacker can knock you off your bike at the last moment as you pass and then rob you while you are still dazed.

What can you do other than make a wide berth around any vaguely suspect looking people that you encounter, not that there's always space or time if you are riding at speed? You just have to take the liberty shots on the chin.

Ard, sorry to hear of your ordeal.

Please make sure you report this to the Police, and if possible to the PPA and tweet Me. Helen Zille.

The more people that is kept aware that this kind of thing is continuing, the better.

Thanks Wannabe, done!