Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the above still the case? Riding alone during the week say after 8am'ish. Specifically crime wise???

There have been some incidents at Smitswinkel on lone riders!

• 1 month later...

The Stellenbosch police asked me to post something so here we go: I was going up Helshoogte today passing two guys walking in the shoulder. As I passed them at the start of the climb, the one guy grabbed at the back pocket of my shirt. The pocket tore and my phone fell on the ground which they grabbed and ran into Ida's valley trying to jump the outside walls twice. As they were running away I shouted at them: In the name of Jesus Christ, you will not steal my phone (please I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, I am just telling how it happened. I am a believer in the God who split the red sea, rescued Daniel from the lions, rescued the three guys from the fiery furnace, etc.) I decided to follow them and I went through the gravel part into Idas Valley on my road bike. As I came around the corner I saw them running across the road. Just then a police van came from the front which I immediately stopped. I pointed to the guys and told the police that they stole my phone. They tried to escape by jumping another wall at the back of someone's house, but I was really impressed by how quickly the policeman got his gun out and brought them back to place them in the back of the van. I had a quick look through the yard and found my phone (iphone 5s- over R10k in value) lying in the dirt, working perfectly, just one small scratch on the corner as a reminder:) I thank God for His protection! Kudos to police for their involvement and outstanding work! The guys went off to the station, the case is made.

• 3 weeks later...

Went home along the cycle track at around 5pm yesterday and there were 4 Metro officers out on the buslane .Big up to the City that works for me

Ai...via the PPA newsletter this morning...

Anyone know/heard about this?

CYCLE LANE WARNING

Recent attacks along the cycle lanes close to Cape Town have once again highlighted the vulnerability of cyclists who use this form of transport.

The City of Cape Town’s Law Enforcement section has advised that they are attempting their best to bring these perpetrators to book but with the demands of extended patrol routes, expanding bus services, checking on fare evasion and crime prevention over a large geographical area, can be challenging at times.

Their recommendation is for cyclists to try and travel in groups of two or more along the stretch of road between Paarden Island and Woodstock due its isolation, especially in the early morning hours and late afternoon. They have patrols in the area but they do get called away to attend to other problems that occur. An operation to crack down on crime in this area last week resulted in the arrest of 15 people for all sorts of crime and they have promised to do more sporadic operations.

In the meantime, please heed the warning and be on the lookout. If you observe any suspicious behaviour or need to report an emergency, please call the 24/7 number 021 4807700.

• 2 weeks later...

Somerset West R44

From Mooiberge farm stall to Beuna Vista - 3 x attempted bike jackings reported...latest one yesterday afternoon 16:40. Mainly the commuters between S-west and Stellies are targeted by 3 youths...

They seem to run off in direction of the farm stall and area behind it.

• 2 weeks later...

WAS RIDING ON KUILRIVER ROAD BACK TO SOMERSET WEST AND GOT ATTACKED BY 3 GUYS WITH A CRICKET BAT UNDER BADEN POWELL BRIDGE. BROKE MY FACE PRETTY BAD....PLEASE BE CAREFUL THIS WAS IN BROAD DAYLIGHT......

Not good to hear. :cursing: :thumbdown:

Are you injured badly? Whatever the injuries, hope you recover quickly and fully!

Did they get away with anything?

Incident reported to the SAPS?

Not good to hear. :cursing: :thumbdown:

Are you injured badly? Whatever the injuries, hope you recover quickly and fully!

Did they get away with anything?

Incident reported to the SAPS?

Please look on the other post above this one on the forum threre pics and the bike they took. reported to police yes I:)) fractured hand and stitches in face thank God im okay :))

• 1 month later...

Hi, how safe is Ou Helshoogte lately.

Take a chain gang with you, no solo rollin' is recommended

(Sadly)

Take a chain gang with you, no solo rollin' is recommended

(Sadly)

Thanks. It's a pity.

Shocking - all routes in/out of Stellenbosch now seem vulnerable.

Has there been any known incidents on the Polkadraai road towards Kuilsriver?

(Might be useful to hook up with the Bottelary Road again, via Zevenwacht.)

* - am fairly new to the forum, and used to do fairly regular commuting between Stellies and Table View over weekends. Quite something else now.

Otherwise am enjoying the Hub, much useful info, with knowledgeable, helpful members.