Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

The City of Cape Town has basically stopped all efforts to address the proliferation of homeless people, and stopped enforcing their own bylaws, which were stupid to start with. They tried fining the homeless, how ridiculous, and got clobbered in the media and the courts over it. Then they simply stopped doing anything about it. No new approach, no alternative plan! So, in the spate of a year, it has spiraled out of control. You now have people, in groups of up to a hundred or more, basically camping permanently in public spaces like parks, on sidewalks and road reserves (De Waal Park, Main Rd Obs, N1 Woodstock / Church Street). Yes, camping with tents, not just makeshift cardboard and plastic structures. The closest ones are within spitting distance of the mayors office. What the rest of us are left with is the mess of rubbish, the **** and the piss all over the place, the harassment, the deterioration of our public spaces. And the crime that inevitably comes with it! This is the one thing I think the City deserves some serious stick for! Muppets!

Spot on. I work right next to Church street where the illegal immigrants defecate and piss directly outside the entrance. I'm so sick of it. It's totally unacceptable.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also....a matter of time before someone gets knocked off their bike here in my opinion. That little neighbourhood they have going on down that embankment has grown quite a lot...and ive gone past there once or twice where ive also felt uncomfortable, especially on the way back from long ride and the legs aren't as fresh anymore. You have to go past there fast enough so that they don't really notice you. next step is to just claim the lane lol.

Yes this was my usual route after work, that is dodgy with all the cars and squatters giving no space for bikes. That is the reason I decided to try the MyCiTi route where I was mugged on my third go. I am fast running out of options. Very sad.

Spot on. I work right next to Church street where the illegal immigrants defecate and piss directly outside the entrance. I'm so sick of it. It's totally unacceptable.

The time and effort my staff and I spend to clean up the mess left by the homeless around my work premises in Claremont also ticks me off. I feel that I would like to find a way to deduct it from my Rates bill to the City of Cape Town. Alternatively I want to collect all the rubbish, including the used condoms, toilet paper, discarded bedding, clothes, cigarette butts, food, paper, plastic for a month and go DUMP it in the Civic Centre entrance or in the Mayors office. Really, I am gatvol.

The time and effort my staff and I spend to clean up the mess left by the homeless around my work premises in Claremont also ticks me off. I feel that I would like to find a way to deduct it from my Rates bill to the City of Cape Town. Alternatively I want to collect all the rubbish, including the used condoms, toilet paper, discarded bedding, clothes, cigarette butts, food, paper, plastic for a month and go DUMP it in the Civic Centre entrance or in the Mayors office. Really, I am gatvol.

:thumbup:  :clap:

You basically need an official company letter stating why you need port access.

By voorbeeld: 

As employees of Shaartjie Enterprises we require the necessary permits to enable us to access the vessels from which we carry out our work.

We are also expected to visit fishing industry vessels housed in the port as part of our line function.

The more you blablabla the easier you bull**** them.

Don't quote me!

Don't forget your police certified ID copy, otherwise no go. 

Lets face it ,the only way we are going to make a difference is by getting out hands dirty and showing these  guys and girls we want to make a difference.Bought some cheap gloves at Builders and instead of watching TV for hours ,I go to the local parks and cycle lane to pick up rubbish.Now the homeless see me coming they start picking up their rubbish.

How do we eat this elephant? One black bag or shopping bag at a time.Since mid Dec 80 black bags collected 

You basically need an official company letter stating why you need port access.

Thanks. I will try luck.

By voorbeeld:

As employees of Shaartjie Enterprises we require the necessary permits to enable us to access the vessels from which we carry out our work.

We are also expected to visit fishing industry vessels housed in the port as part of our line function.

The more you blablabla the easier you bull**** them.

Don't quote me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

i commute on the My Citi cycle route, and this morning stopped to chat to the Law Enforcement Cops that were standing by in a vehicle, just near the Paarden Island Bridge.  They are as frustrated as me regarding the safety of this route.  the Cops say their supervisors will not act on any feedback they give.  In other words, if the Cops say, "hey boss, the fence on the My City route have been pulled down and need repairs" - well this type of feedback falls on deaf ears.

The Cops say the only way is for cyclists using the route, to write (e mail) with their concerns.

Which leads me to the question; does anybody know the appropriate e mail address for voicing safety concerns on this route?  

Hi there

i commute on the My Citi cycle route, and this morning stopped to chat to the Law Enforcement Cops that were standing by in a vehicle, just near the Paarden Island Bridge.  They are as frustrated as me regarding the safety of this route.  the Cops say their supervisors will not act on any feedback they give.  In other words, if the Cops say, "hey boss, the fence on the My City route have been pulled down and need repairs" - well this type of feedback falls on deaf ears.

The Cops say the only way is for cyclists using the route, to write (e mail) with their concerns.

Which leads me to the question; does anybody know the appropriate e mail address for voicing safety concerns on this route?  

This is the link to issue complaints / problems.

https://eservices1.capetown.gov.za/coct/wapl/zsreq_app/index.html

But from experience this is a useless link with very little action being taken.

To give you and example, I logged a complaint RE the one fence broken on 2020.01.25, and the link with my ref. no. still says it is a "new" item.

If you follow the link on my signature file to my twitter handle you will see numerous issues reported to the City of Cape Town, and most of the time nothing is done. A little frustrating if you ask me, but things still need to be reported, even if it is just to create a public track record to hold the City accountable at a later date.

Thanks for the link Hairy.  Just to let you and other commuters know, i have come up with a part safe solution, and it goes like  this ...

I feel very vulnerable between the Paarden Island bridge, and Woodstock bridge.  Simply avoid this section by catching the My City bus, with your bicycle.  

And ride along Marine Drive Service Road on the section between Paarden Island bridge and Car Boot Sale site.  

Some time ago the PPA advocated changing the cycle lane to run through the harbour instead.  This is not going to happen any time soon...

Another solution could be  by forming an informal work party and upgrading the rough, existing  foot path/single track that runs alongside the N1 from town, and alongside the R27 up to the Paarden Island entrance to the harbour. 

Upgrading could include compacting parts to make it less bumpy, and putting in a parallel  foot path/single track  to accommodate cycle traffic in both directions. 

Why not try and contact the office of our esteemed Premier Alan Winde. He is an avid cyclist, should have "our" best interest at heart?  (or am I too gullible}

Why not try and contact the office of our esteemed Premier Alan Winde. He is an avid cyclist, should have "our" best interest at heart?  (or am I too gullible}

hairy basically mentions (or used to) him in all the tweets. he seemed to caremore while he was still running for premiere. ALL politicians are scumbags. it is an entry requirement 

Thanks for the link Hairy.  Just to let you and other commuters know, i have come up with a part safe solution, and it goes like  this ...

I feel very vulnerable between the Paarden Island bridge, and Woodstock bridge.  Simply avoid this section by catching the My City bus, with your bicycle.  

And ride along Marine Drive Service Road on the section between Paarden Island bridge and Car Boot Sale site.  

Some time ago the PPA advocated changing the cycle lane to run through the harbour instead.  This is not going to happen any time soon...

Another solution could be  by forming an informal work party and upgrading the rough, existing  foot path/single track that runs alongside the N1 from town, and alongside the R27 up to the Paarden Island entrance to the harbour. 

Upgrading could include compacting parts to make it less bumpy, and putting in a parallel  foot path/single track  to accommodate cycle traffic in both directions. 

Like these suggestions

Do you try time the ride to get to the bus stop at the right time as to not wait longer than the cycle would take? 

he has been copied into multiple posts RE the cycle lane ... from infrastructure to muggings.... so he knows what is going on.

further to this, he was also a mugging victim on this section of cycle lane ... whilst being accompanied by a bodyguard!